Analysis Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?

Should Hawks Be Punished?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, you've won 1 game from 6 attempts, and it was against the only side below you on the ladder.

Enjoy the win but perspective is important.
No but the constant potting, saying we haven't even started to rebuild yet and continual trolling when we would be a few points in games is laughable.

We should have won yesterday by over 60. That's without Day, Lewis and Bruest. Two of our most important players.

Perspective is important, isn't mate.

You’re clearly happy with the way things are going, and up and about after a win.

I’m perhaps a little less convinced. Let’s revisit down the track.
Never said I was happy with it, there are some areas of our game that have been extremely disappointing.
All I have argued is that we are going better than last year

He’s not alone in suggesting things had been overblown after the suns loss(6 days after nearly knocking off the Pies).

The midfield has been ordinary, but we’ve been fielding a younger side and been in more games in 2024 then this time last year.

I haven't mentioned the Suns game. I'm not talking about one game in isolation - in fact my point is that you shouldn't do that.

It's not just the midfield but I get it. I've been through it all before and not all that long ago. Winning is great, but perspective is better.

It was North Melbourne. You're still 1-5.

North Melbourne are so bad that you just can't take anything away from playing against them.

I don't necessarily disageee. Take the 4 points and be happy with it because that's ultimately what matters most out of any game.

But yeah, a bit ridiculous to be using it as an indicator of anything other than a win against what is quite comfortably the worst side in the competition.

Perspective is important, isn't mate.

Absolutely it is. But enjoy the win, they don't come around all that often for bottom 4 sides so you've got to enjoy it.

All I have argued is that we are going better than last year

You might be playing better, but so too are many sides. Ultimately you were 1-5 after 6 last year too, with that win also against North Melbourne.

I need to see more.

I haven't mentioned the Suns game. I'm not talking about one game in isolation - in fact my point is that you shouldn't do that.

It's not just the midfield but I get it. I've been through it all before and not all that long ago. Winning is great, but perspective is better.

It was North Melbourne. You're still 1-5.
I think you might need to understand the trolling that Chadwiko has taken part in here, and in other threads about Hawthorn, because Hawks supporters aren’t making out like this win was anything spectacular.

Lurk-liking our autopsy threads after losses, bumping this thread when we lost a preseason practice sim, or after we’ve had a few goals kicked against us.

Posters are going to throw some mud back.

Posters are going to throw some mud back.

Nothing wrong with that. But - and I'm beginning to sound like a broken record here - perspective is important. A win vs North Melbourne doesn't prove much.

That's all I'm saying. It's not a criticism.

Nothing wrong with that. But - and I'm beginning to sound like a broken record here - perspective is important.
Don’t worry, Hawks know the road is long and bumpy, they’re just happy with a win and to watch the kids improve.

Lewis is a superstar and very important, but Breust is nearing the end of a very good career and the other guy has played 3 games. It's not like the return of Breust and Watson could put Hawthorn in top-12 talk. With the way the rest of the team is performing, I'm not sure even the return of Lewis will make a lot of difference.
You might be surprised you to know that despite the midfield getting smacked most weeks that we are 7th for marks inside 50 and 8th for inside 50’s.
The rest of the team really hasn’t been as bad as the midfield.

Won’t be at all surprising if a small uplift in centre clearances wins has an impact on the wins column.

I think you might need to understand the trolling that Chadwiko has taken part in here, and in other threads about Hawthorn, because Hawks supporters aren’t making out like this win was anything spectacular.

Hold up.

I've never 'trolled'. I've shared my honest opinion about Hawthorn. You just didn't like it.

But that's not trolling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lewis is a superstar and very important, but Breust is nearing the end of a very good career and the other guy has played 3 games. It's not like the return of Breust and Watson could put Hawthorn in top-12 talk. With the way the rest of the team is performing, I'm not sure even the return of Lewis will make a lot of difference.
Gee the eligibility criteria to earn the "superstar" tag has certainly dropped a little

That looks like a person's subjective opinion. He named it...subjective. That's not him saying objectively Hawthorn are those things. This is a football forum, he is allowed to have a view on your club.
I've already got a bet going with someone but I reckon NMFC will finish above Hawthorn this year.

I'm not really interested in having an in-depth back and forth on why Hawk fans think I'm wrong.

But to address just one of your questions, North are obviously 'further ahead in the rebuild' in that we've actually bottomed-out and should now be on the upward trend after four consecutive years of bottom 4 finishes.

In that same period, look at the games Hawthorn have won;

2020 - 5W 12L*
2021 - 7W 2D 13L
2022 - 8W - 14L
2023 - 7W - 16L

To me, Hawthorn have been floundering around in the bottom 8 without actually properly commencing a rebuild, and 2023 exposed that your list wasn't a top-up away from being competitive, but requires a proper rebuild. I believe 2024 will see the results bear that out and Hawthorn will struggle to win more than 6 games~.

Meanwhile, NMFC were historically bad in 2023, winning a total of 3 games. I think we should be expected to win anywhere from 5-9 games this year, and personally I'm optimistic that we'll be a lot more competitive. Therefore, I have NMFC above Hawthorn in 2024.

Let’s hope you haven’t disappeared before round 5
because in my subjective opinion north will have done well to get 2 wins in 2024
How about this one

The win on the weekend was not much to really get impressed about. Even in the second quarter when they got on top the Hawks continued to cough the ball up with ease. It is just that North are a basket case and gave it right back.

It was a bad AFL team playing a bad VFL team.

This whole thread strikes me as insulting.

Hawthorn aren't tanking; they've simply taken one of two logical paths in the AFL environment. It's a huge risk.

Should they have? I don't know. I follow a team which does the complete opposite. They had a magic era, we've grabbed premierships along the way or so.

That proves my point, not yours.

I literally start that post you quote with "This is all my subjective opinion".

Hawthorn fans take anyone who doesn't over-rate them as a personal attack and it's super weird.
😂

Remind us again how many games North are going to win this season?

whilst you spent an entire summer working yourself into a lather trying to convince yourself by using Hawthorn as your measuring stick, the fact is you have no idea on football matters.

None.

It took me two lines to tell you that North would be lucky to win 2 games this season.

😂

Remind us again how many games North are going to win this season?

whilst you spent an entire summer working yourself into a lather trying to convince yourself by using Hawthorn as your measuring stick, the fact is you have no idea on football matters.

None.

It took me two lines to tell you that North would be lucky to win 2 games this season.

Me saying Hawthorn would be bad has nothing to do with North also being bad.

You get that, right?

They're two separate issues.

Yeah, looks like I was wrong about North improving.
Guess what? Looks like I was right about Hawthorn being bad.

Regardless, at no point was I trolling.

The worst part of this is that you're not using dark mode you absolute barbarian.

I use dark mode on basically every website, but Bigfooty still looks like absolute crap on dark mode unfortunately.

Back