How did Deledio escape scrutiny?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-08-16/mackay-left-dazed-after-clash-of-heads

Seems to be a push in the back that contributed to Mackay being concussed (and resulted in Deledio getting a goal).

There was plenty of outrage but no suspension with a similar incident from Jaegar O'Meara earlier in the year that left Christensen with a head knock.

Even if these aren't reports shouldn't they be highlighted as bad missed free kicks as they are starting to look pretty dangerous.

The game is over and Richmond have the 4pts, but if that's paid a free kick against Delidio, and the Sloane non-goal is paid correctly, Crows win the game.

I know there are a million things that cost the Crows the game, and umpiring is not one of those things.

Bit of a grey area in that Deledio may have caused the head clash to happen by pushing the bloke in the back (an illegal action) and should have "duty of care" for his opponent...

But do we really want to see people suspended for that? Surely not.

Bit of a grey area in that Deledio may have caused the head clash to happen by pushing the bloke in the back (an illegal action) and should have "duty of care" for his opponent...

But do we really want to see people suspended for that? Surely not.

No, I don't think it's reportable. But devil's advocate says "Do we really want to see this happening on a more frequent basis?"

No, I don't think it's reportable. But devil's advocate says "Do we really want to see this happening on a more frequent basis?"

I agree.

You flip the coin though, what happens if Miles came off second best from that headclash? Lid's is responsible for knocking out one of his team mates and (should have) gave a free kick away. Swings and roundabouts.

(Edited for clarification)

Last edited:
Yep.

You flip the coin though, what happens if Miles came off second best from that headclash? Lid's is responsible for knocking out one of his team mates and (should have) gave a free kick away. Swings and roundabouts.

You want to see more people concussed, and spin the wheel to hope it's not your player? Wow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back