How good is Fyfe??

Remove this Banner Ad

Even the great man acknowledged after the game he needs to constantly work to improve his disposal, but he is a ripping bloke.

If I can be critical about one thing... if he was at North he would lose the Kanga lotto and have to shave that One Direction mop off every time he grew more than an inch of hair. :p

There was a great comment by a Collingwood supporter in their gameday thread. We're not supposed to quote from team boards so I can't give them proper credit, but they said:

"We (Pies) have an excellent Supercoach midfield, but watching Fyfe impose himself on this contest is an eye-opener on the difference."

I think that sums Fyfe up pretty well. The stats nerds keep obsessing with monitoring his DE%, but in the meantime he just keeps imposing himself on games every week and dragging Freo along with him.

There was a great comment by a Collingwood supporter in their gameday thread. We're not supposed to quote from team boards so I can't give them proper credit, but they said:

"We (Pies) have an excellent Supercoach midfield, but watching Fyfe impose himself on this contest is an eye-opener on the difference."

I think that sums Fyfe up pretty well. The stats nerds keep obsessing with monitoring his DE%, but in the meantime he just keeps imposing himself on games every week and dragging Freo along with him.

Are you calling Fyfe himself a liar?

He's basically the best CBD (centre bounce-down) player out there, his clearances allow Freo to set up their wave of defence. Add in his aerial pack marking and snapping he's a top 5 player for mine. Might be clear number 2 at the end of the year

He's basically the best CBD (centre bounce-down) player out there, his clearances allow Freo to set up their wave of defence. Add in his aerial pack marking and snapping he's a top 5 player for mine. Might be clear number 2 at the end of the year

He glides around a bit like Hird used to, reminds me a lot about him.

Surely you're not blinded to the fact that his kicking, especially in front of goal, is poor?

He's a great player, he plays tall and small which is something two recent superstars in Bartel and Hird were able to master, but if he wants to get to their level he'll need to improve his kicking.

I think he'll get there, is a star.

He glides around a bit like Hird used to, reminds me a lot about him.

Been saying this for ages – get the agility and overhead abilty - just unstoppable - like hird - who do you use to match up on him?

Could stand to improve his disposal but jeez id pretty much have him over any other player at the eagles dodgy disposal included

Been saying this for ages – get the agility and overhead abilty - just unstoppable - like hird - who do you use to match up on him?

Could stand to improve his disposal but jeez id pretty much have him over any other player at the eagles dodgy disposal included
The only two players I'd take ahead of Fyfe would be Ablett and Pendlebury. Cameron comes close though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cotchin is guilty of this same "crappy kicking".

infront of goal he is worse than fyfe though i believe around the ground in space cotchin is better. cotchin cant kick super long though. By most player ratings you see cotchin has dropped like a stone from top 10 to 40-50 range probably for that reason, as has cyril rioli and soon the footy world will wake up to fyfe and the same will happen unless he improves.

both fyfes and cotchins ability to get the ball and get in space is elite but neither will truly be elite until they can dispose of it the same too. both still have a huge impact on games though.

Fyfe would instantly make WCE a flag contender ..who would you have? We have key forward, backs, rucks... Ablett and Pendlebury aside

Yeah agree for us he'd be super, as good as most.

Others I'd prefer (off top of head):

Wines
Wingard
O'Meara
J. Selwood
Dangerfield
Sloane
Jack
Griffen

And that doesn't include key position players that I'd have ahead of him if you were starting a team from scratch.

This is in no way to discredit him, I just think there are better players at the moment or with better potential.

I can't see anything in my post that accuses anyone of lying, much less Fyfe...

I think it was this bit... "The stats nerds keep obsessing with monitoring his DE%, but in the meantime he just keeps imposing himself on games every week and dragging Freo along with him."

I am not sure anyone is obsessing about it, without even asked about it he often talks about the area of his game he feels he needs to improve on. I think we are as obsessed about it as he is, which isn't very much, just feel he is capable of making some better decisions when he has the ball on the outside, his disposal is fine in the contest.

When he missed out on the AA squad I felt there were two negatives, his efficiency was off at times and against the weaker opposition he coasted a fair bit because the team didn't really need him to fire to get the result. He was probably just saving himself a bit but there were about 15-20 midfielders who had exceptional seasons and a lot of them missed out.

I think he is a super player already and he can get even better and he is focused on getting better which is a good sign. I don't think people mentioning the disposal efficiency are obsessed, there have been heaps of great players who didn't have elite level disposal and it didn't stop them becoming great midfielders.

Pretty sure before the GF last year Fyfe was 12.1 from set shots for the year. He is a fine kick, the whole DE% stats are interesting, not sure what his stats were Friday night but he kicked 3 mongrel clearances that were marked - does that make him a great kick now?

He's a great player, top 10 for sure and has a bullet, I think he has Rockliffe covered just quietly too.

Wines
Wingard
O'Meara
J. Selwood
Dangerfield
Sloane
Jack
Griffen

And that doesn't include key position players that I'd have ahead of him if you were starting a team from scratch.

This is in no way to discredit him, I just think there are better players at the moment or with better potential.
I love Sloane but he isn't in the same league as Fyfe.

Jack is a bit overrated. Had an excellent start to last year but faded from mid season onwards.

Griffen only really has about 2-3 years of great football left in him and excluding last year, he has always been inconsistent.

Wines, Wingard and O'Meara are unproven as in they are still very young in their careers and would do very well to reach where Fyfe is at the same age. You always take the proven talent ahead of "prospective talents". Yes Wines and O'Meara are almost certain stars but nothing is certain at this stage of their careers.

Selwood is very good but struggles with taggers at times. Crowley toweled him up and he had a whinge about it.

Dangerfield is debatable though.

Wines
Wingard
O'Meara
J. Selwood
Dangerfield
Sloane
Jack
Griffen

It is a tough call to compare players, Ablett and Pendlebury sustain a very high standard so consistently and Selwood is almost there as well. Dangerfield is a bit hot and cold, if I could steal an opposition midfielder it would be Ablett, Pendlebury, Selwood and Fyfe in that order. I think of those 4 though, Fyfe has the most room for improvement.

Fyfe is only 22 so I have high expectation that he will get better over the next few years.

Fyfe's kicking is an interesting one. He has the ability to pull off kicks other players can't and also the ability to screw up a set shot as good as anyone. I would say that it isn't that he is a bad kick and can never get better but the fact that there is great variability in his kicking and that is something he can work on.

I love Sloane but he isn't in the same league as Fyfe.

Jack is a bit overrated. Had an excellent start to last year but faded from mid season onwards.

Griffen only really has about 2-3 years of great football left in him and excluding last year, he has always been inconsistent.

Wines, Wingard and O'Meara are unproven as in they are still very young in their careers and would do very well to reach where Fyfe is at the same age. You always take the proven talent ahead of "prospective talents". Yes Wines and O'Meara are almost certain stars but nothing is certain at this stage of their careers.

Selwood is very good but struggles with taggers at times. Crowley toweled him up and he had a whinge about it.

Dangerfield is debatable though.

Yeah good points, all valid.

That's just me looking at what West Coast need - I have a bit of man crush on Jack, I probably overrate him a bit.

Anyway, all very good players and obviously seeing as Fyfe's contract is up at end of year, I'd be hoping West Coast throw the kitchen sink at him to get him over - super talent.

I think it was this bit... "The stats nerds keep obsessing with monitoring his DE%, but in the meantime he just keeps imposing himself on games every week and dragging Freo along with him."

Fyfe had far and away the most clangers of any player last year (over 4 a game) - so that's certainly where the issue constantly gets raised.

But at least with him, the 'problem' is very fixable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back