How prepared are you? Water, non-perishable food, etc.

Are you prepared for disaster?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Smiling Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Oct 17, 2007
Cultural Marxist Utopia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hello friends,

I recently read that more than half of Americans have less than three days worth of supplies on hand to see them through should disaster strike. You would think they would know better after what happened during Hurricane Katrina but apparently not. I haven't been able to find similar polling for Australia but would be surprised if things were much different. Up here in QLD we really have no excuse for ignorance after what happened during the Brisbane Floods.

Australian guidelines recommend that we keep at least three days worth of supplies on hand at all times. If you follow that link it will give you handy tips on what items are best to buy and keep on hand in order to ensure that you and your family are at least somewhat prepared if and when disaster strikes. It is also a good idea to keep a first aid kit, flashlight with batteries, plenty of candles, and a toolbox (among other things).

If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you look at those recommendations and begin stocking up. If not for your sake then for the sake of your loved ones and dependents. If you are the head of the household, it is your duty to keep a few days worth of supplies on hand. No ifs or buts, it is your duty. Just a couple hundred dollars will buy all you need to ride out a few days without power, so it is a small investment for piece of mind.

Unless there are posters out there who want to argue that such measures are not necessary. I am open to all opinions.

Over to you, bigfooty.

I've got a bunch of Macca's vouchers saved in the bottom drawer. :)

Being serious though, it was pretty weird in Brisbane during the last floods. Went to the supermarket the night before the peak only to discover pretty well every shelf had been cleared out. When Macca's closed I knew I'd be in trouble. We weren't even in an area that flooded or had significant power outages.

If that can happen in a slowly approaching disaster in a contained area then I'd hate to be caught out in something widespread that doesn't come with a warning like a major earthquake.

But I'm a slow learner. Without power I'd be lucky to feed myself for more than 48hrs.

I have a shitload of tinned food in my food cupboard. Other than that my armageddon preparedness leaves a bit to be desired. A few odds and sods in terms of batteries in my man drawer (you know the one drawer in the kitchen full of obscure items you think you'll need one day), zero water storage (I have some cans of soft drink and bottles of beer) and no candles. My cooking and hot water is electric too. I do have a gas BBQ with two 9kg cylinders though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone needs one of these:
(ie. bomb shelter)

s3XN4c5.png

That's what I was thinking, what probable event could occur in Melbourne that would require me to stock up on supplies?
Do you only take out insurance when you think a problem's likelihood is 'probable'?

If so, do you have car insurance?

As for events in Melbourne, I don't know enough about the geography elsewhere but in the southeast, which is where much of the city's contemporary urban sprawl is taking place (think Tooradin - Clyde - Berwick - Koo Wee Rup - Bunyip) houses are going up everywhere on genuine flood plains. In many cases it is former swampland. This is a disaster waiting to happen and anybody living there who isn't prepared for a few days without power is putting a lot of faith in their government. A lot of faith.

NQR does have a good special on tuna this week, so I will have plenty of supplies after my weekend shopping. :thumbsu:

Do you only take out insurance when you think a problem's likelihood is 'probable'?

If so, do you have car insurance?

As for events in Melbourne, I don't know enough about the geography elsewhere but in the southeast, which is where much of the city's contemporary urban sprawl is taking place (think Tooradin - Clyde - Berwick - Koo Wee Rup - Bunyip) houses are going up everywhere on genuine flood plains. In many cases it is former swampland. This is a disaster waiting to happen and anybody living there who isn't prepared for a few days without power is putting a lot of faith in their government. A lot of faith.

I don't drive so don't have to worry about car insurance, but I mean probable as in I'm not going to prepare in case a tornado rips through the area or a tsunami manages to reach where I live. Now if I were to drive I would consider car insurance a necessary precaution because chance of an incident/theft has a much higher likelihood of happening.

The occurrence of a catastrophic natural event is very slim and in the case of something like, I don't know, everyone loses the plot and the city collapses, preparing some canned food and the like won't help for long enough to be considered useful, and once again, as far as I'm concerned, seems unlikely and not worth worrying about.

Can's of Spam are a real winner apparently, basically never goes off. Not sure what that says about spam....

Tassie is a pretty good place to face the apocalypse, small population, easy access to farm land.

In the last month Earth narrowly missed copping a direct hit from a huge solar storm, would have smashed electrical transformers across much of the globe apparently. Last direct hit was in the 1800's and wrecked the US telegraph network, would be infinitely worse if it happened today.

So if you're thinking in terms of disaster, think of the power going off in Melbourne/Sydney for a week or more. The death toll and panic would be enormous.

Spam. is truly hideous. I think I'd choose Pal or Chum over Spam. Or a very slow death via starvation.

Crocodile Dundee had a quote which fit's this situation.

You can also buys tins of Bully Beef for a real traditional feed. The Anzacs used to eat it, no wonder they were tough, and bad tempered too, having to eat that crap.

I've got two massive water tanks and a safe full of guns and ammo.

Back