how would you rate this season?

Remove this Banner Ad

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
with so many teams still in the race to make the 8, teams like Adelaide & Richmond making late runs, it's been quite an entertaining season for myself.

certainly helps that the swans are in the hunt for the flag. but even from a neutral perspective, it's been a great season.

how do you guys rate the season?

I've enjoyed it so far, results appear to be unpredictable.

But then again it's the same top 4 as last year, so things maybe haven't changed that much.

Winning makes everything better 8/10 :D

Comparable to other season's over the past 25 years, I'd say it ranks in the bottom 5.

The first half of the season was diabolical, there were so many scrappy and one-sided games that I had to turn the tv off at times. We had many low scores, slow ball movement and inconsistent umpiring that left you scratching your head multiple times during a match.

The second half has seen an improvement in the quality of games, umpiring and from an entertainment aspect. We've seen many games that looked ordinary in the first half turn into thrillers (many of them Geelong/Essendon games). The scoring has still been hard to come by, however teams are moving the ball a lot quicker so you don't notice it as much.

I think we'll see a better standard of footy in 2015 as coaches try and copy the successful 2014 teams attacking model. The current defensive mindset of the coaches has proven to be a failed gameplan as teams such as Melbourne simply can't kick enough goals to win (despite being closer on the scoreboard)

I think we'll see a better standard of footy in 2015 as coaches try and copy the successful 2014 teams attacking model. The current defensive mindset of the coaches has proven to be a failed gameplan as teams such as Melbourne simply can't kick enough goals to win (despite being closer on the scoreboard)

Why should 2015 be any different? Teams have been winning premierships with attacking footy for the past decade and yet clubs still persist with negative tactics.

Why should 2015 be any different? Teams have been winning premierships with attacking footy for the past decade and yet clubs still persist with negative tactics.
I certainly have my doubts, it would be all too easy for the coaches to continue to go all out defence to ensure the scoreboard doesn't get too messy. I think Freo's performance in the 2013 finals series influenced some of the coaches tactics for 2014 (despite the fact they lost the grand final due their inability to kick goals). Everyone seemed mesmerized by their performance against Sydney, in the coaches eyes Ross Lyon had a recipe for success so they decided to copy it. Essendon, Collingwood and North are three previously attacking teams that adopted the Ross Lyon gameplay in 2014 - it didn't really work for any of the three imo, they will likely be gone by the first week of the finals.

I certainly have my doubts, it would be all too easy for the coaches to continue to go all out defence to ensure the scoreboard doesn't get too messy. I think Freo's performance in the 2013 finals series influenced some of the coaches tactics for 2014 (despite the fact they lost the grand final due their inability to kick goals). Everyone seemed mesmerized by their performance against Sydney, in the coaches eyes Ross Lyon had a recipe for success so they decided to copy it. Essendon, Collingwood and North are three previously attacking teams that adopted the Ross Lyon gameplay in 2014 - it didn't really work for any of the three imo, they will likely be gone by the first week of the finals.

Think it's more about circumstance than design. The compromised drafts have made it harder to get elite well rounded players, but practically everyone can learn defensively accountability where as offensive capability is limited to an individual's talent. All three of those sides have work horse type players that suit the style and also have limited talent forward of centre.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i will say one thing about the season. it seems like most teams have adopted a similar style of play and the game has become a bit formulaic in that respect.

alot of boundary hugging and knocking the ball out of bounds, then restructuring, particularly from the back line. teams tend to attack through the middle only when they have to roll the dice

5/10
Ive found myself watching a lot less footy than last season, neutral games hold little interest, not sure if it's the season or just me ? The Hawks are right in it, so I should be more interested than I am.
Really enjoying my sons U15 junior footy though.

Despite my own team's horrible form (actually in some ways because of it) I think the second half of the year has been one of the best in a long time.

Most years the second half of the season is a procession, with one or two runaway leaders at the top and half a dozen teams at the bottom getting thrashed every week and at least appearing to be tanking. This year we've had plenty of upsets, and even more games where the favourite still won but was pushed all the way. The bottom teams have mostly been improving as the year has gone on, most notably Richmond and Brisbane, while teams that looked solid have been getting knocked off consistently (hello Collingwood & Port).

The makeup of the 8 has been as fluid as it has ever been. Even now, with just 2 games left, the team that's currently sitting 11th is my choice to fill the final spot. And to cap it off we've got 4 teams at the top within a game or two of each other that have all beaten and lost to each other.

For mine the finals series looks to be a ripper with the prospect of multiple finals between fierce rivals. Showdown, Derby, Haw/Geel, Sydney/Haw, Geel/Freo finals are all distinct possibilities. What's not to like?*

*damn you, Collingwood!

Could be remarkably funny if the Tiges make the finals, surely the most unlikely finals appearance in history after the way we started.

Alternatively, we have the equally funny prospect of seeing a team win 8 games in a row and still missing the finals, for surely the first time in history.

So let's look at what's happened. Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong are still up there. Melbourne is shite, and Richmond will probably finish 9th....again. Apart from that, it has been interesting to the extent the composition of the final 8 remains undecided.

Very odd season for mine. There seem to be more upsets this year than previous recent years.

Certainly, there's more unpredictability than normal from week to week- less certain results.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back