Hypothetically, would you ever boycott the AFL Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

Smiling Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Oct 17, 2007
Cultural Marxist Utopia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hello friends. Some time ago I started a thread asking if posters would ever stop attending AFL matches; if there was some line that were the AFL to cross, people might say 'enough is enough' and be done with attending the game live. The thread generated some terrific replies and discussion.

Now I come to ask a different question: would you ever boycott the AFL Grand Final? Is it possible that the AFL and those who run it could do something so outrageous that you might decide to do something else with your Saturday? Are there any imaginable circumstances in which you might consider it? Or is the culture of watching the game so strong, your history of taking part in the day so significant to you, that the AFL could (and this is a hypothetical here) literally admit that the whole game is fixed (for instance) and you would still partake in the tradition anyhow?

I ask because I myself feel torn about this question. On one hand, I have watched every Grand Final since I was a small child, and can remember where I watched each one since about 1999. Name me the year and I can tell you who played, who won, who I had money on, whether or not I got drunk that day, etc. Like most people from Victoria the Grand Final day experience has been a central part of my social calendar my entire adult life, and traditionally marks for me the unofficial beginning of Spring (better weather, cricket is around the corner, etc).

On the other hand the reality of what the AFL actually is has never been more obvious to me, it has truly crystallised in my mind this year, and by even watching the Grand Final I feel like I will be tacitly supporting an organisation which I fundamentally despise on a fundamental level. I feel like I will be partaking in the heist. I don't blame people for wanting to go the WWE whenever it is in Aus (unless they think what they are watching is real and unscripted), and I wouldn't even mind the AFL GF so much if everybody was open and honest about what it was we were watching. It is the big, unspoken lie that gets to me, and to be honest I simply do not want to be part of something like that, no matter how insignificantly small a part I may be.

I haven't made my mind up yet but I am seriously considering skipping this year's GF. My question to bigfooty is this: would you ever - can you imagine any kind of scenario where you might - do the same?

Over to you, bigfooty.

Hello friends. Some time ago I started a thread asking if posters would ever stop attending AFL matches; if there was some line that were the AFL to cross, people might say 'enough is enough' and be done with attending the game live. The thread generated some terrific replies and discussion.

Now I come to ask a different question: would you ever boycott the AFL Grand Final? Is it possible that the AFL and those who run it could do something so outrageous that you might decide to do something else with your Saturday? Are there any imaginable circumstances in which you might consider it? Or is the culture of watching the game so strong, your history of taking part in the day so significant to you, that the AFL could (and this is a hypothetical here) literally admit that the whole game is fixed (for instance) and you would still partake in the tradition anyhow?

I ask because I myself feel torn about this question. On one hand, I have watched every Grand Final since I was a small child, and can remember where I watched each one since about 1999. Name me the year and I can tell you who played, who won, who I had money on, whether or not I got drunk that day, etc. Like most people from Victoria the Grand Final day experience has been a central part of my social calendar my entire adult life, and traditionally marks for me the unofficial beginning of Spring (better weather, cricket is around the corner, etc).

On the other hand the reality of what the AFL actually is has never been more obvious to me, it has truly crystallised in my mind this year, and by even watching the Grand Final I feel like I will be tacitly supporting an organisation which I fundamentally despise on a fundamental level. I feel like I will be partaking in the heist. I don't blame people for wanting to go the WWE whenever it is in Aus (unless they think what they are watching is real and unscripted), and I wouldn't even mind the AFL GF so much if everybody was open and honest about what it was we were watching. It is the big, unspoken lie that gets to me, and to be honest I simply do not want to be part of something like that, no matter how insignificantly small a part I may be.

I haven't made my mind up yet but I am seriously considering skipping this year's GF. My question to bigfooty is this: would you ever - can you imagine any kind of scenario where you might - do the same?

Over to you, bigfooty.

Only if the MSM told me to.

Maybe if another Essendon type scandal came about and they made the GF that year against the swans. Other than that, probably not.

On the other hand the reality of what the AFL actually is has never been more obvious to me, it has truly crystallised in my mind this year, and by even watching the Grand Final I feel like I will be tacitly supporting an organisation which I fundamentally despise on a fundamental level.

You haven't really explicitly specified why you feel the need to boycott.

I really don't care about the business side of the AFL, certainly not to the point that I'd ever consider not watching the Grand Final. There's no big golden ideal that has been threatened or destroyed over time for me. I understand the league is a business, but it simply doesn't matter to me.

I just watch footy because I like footy. I really don't understand why people feel the need to complicate it and stress over every little detail, and act like there's some big evil conspiracy going on because the league and its clubs are organised and profitable.

Last edited:
I watch it every year in a fairly redneck setup in a wool shed a town over from where Fyfe is from

Will watch it regardless who is playing, can't wait to troll Dockers supporters again next time they make it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would boycott if my team had a dominant year and then lost the prelim somehow, sorta like essendon 99. I do remember saying that if we lost to pies in 07 prelim i would have taken the opportunity to enjoy some open space on the golf course.

Don't think I would ever do a orotest against AFL boycott though. It would achieve nothing and i would miss out. Maybe if the game itself degenerates into the mess some think it is destined for i might graduaklyblose interest

It's too late to for the AFL to notice a boycott.

The money is already in the bank by a GF and they'll always sell out the GF

It's an event day - I'll always watch it. Great excuse (if one is needed) to get a lot of mates together and imbibe a dangerous amount.

The only exception was the 2010 GF repeat, I used up all my energy on the draw. Couldn't get into it (got dull fairly quickly anyways).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back