Hyundai A-League 2015/16: General Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

He has to be realistic, Broich has the runs on the board and Oar is the better player. Aloisi could drop broich back and bench Petratos which could be a possibility.
Borrello has established himself worthy of being a regular starter this season so if someone like Oar comes in and replaces him he won't be happy you'd imagine since he's had a pretty good season to date.

Broich isn't as effective deeper though and we all know that. He is at his best on the left wing. It's like putting Cirio there for us, no where near as effective.

Borrello has established himself worthy of being a regular starter this season so if someone like Oar comes in and replaces him he won't be happy you'd imagine since he's had a pretty good season to date.

Hasn't done anything since the match we beat your mob 3-1 early in the season. Has very poor vision, known habit to over hit a pass.

Hi guys.

Just wondering if anyone has a link to the recently released FFA Stragic Plan 2016-19?

I've checked both the FFA and the A-League sites and can find a news story but no link.

Thanks in advance.

Damien De Bohan gone!

Great news as he was a complete spud and no co-incidence it was day one in this new 'plan' they have. Can we now have an independent commission for the A-League and someone from a football background as opposed to a cricket/afl/tennis/rugby one.

Yeh a few good targets there, something tells me Squires doesn't like The Muskrat. Whenever I tune into TWG, SEN or other podcasts all I hear is Sydney, Sydney, Arnold, Muscat, Victory, Berisha, Finkler, flares, Victory, Fornaroli, Sydney, Popovich, WSW, flares, Fornaroli, Fornaroli, Fornaroli, Fornaroli, Fornaroli, Fornaroli, Fornaroli........

The World Game Podcast is absolute pants. It's in-jokes, Sydney bias and Lucy ******* Zelic who is the reason I don't watching anything on SBS anymore.

3.png

7 reds for CCM o_O

Wow, we're third best. Shows we're playing some decent football then.

Probably been talked about in the Victory thread but huge loss with Kosta heading home to the Phoenix. Has been a wonderful player for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Football Federation Australia to open TV talks in April

By Max Mason
March 14, 2016, midnight

Football Federation Australia is confident that interest across free-to-air broadcasters and Fox Sports can help it sign a bumper television rights deal that will provide critical funding for the sport.

It's understood that the FFA has been engaging with a number of interested parties, but official negotiations are penciled in for early April.

Fox Sports has held rights to the A-League since its inception in 2005 and is likely to remain the FFA's pay television partner.

Network Ten chief executive Paul Anderson said he was interested in the A-League.

"I think what we've shown with Big Bash is that we have the ability to innovate and do things differently," Mr Anderson told Fairfax Media.

"We've shown that if you have an alignment with the sporting body about the direction of the code and you work together for a mutually beneficial outcome, then lots of things become possible.

A-League centrepiece

"We agree that the A-League probably needs to be the centrepiece of their strategy going forward and we've got a track record in building franchises."

Nine is understood to be interested in sitting down with the FFA to see what is on offer for the free-to-air sector.

The current $40 million per season, four-year deal, which expires mid-2017, sees Fox Sports show all matches, including the weekend's higher rating derbies and rivalry games. SBS has rights to show one Friday match live each week, and the finals series on delay.

Prior to the beginning of the current A-League season it looked as though SBS might sell its current free-to-air rights commercial broadcaster such as Nine Entertainment, Seven West Media or Network Ten. However, a deal failed to materialise.

The A-League, which had been moved to SBS's main channel during the second year of the deal, was moved back to SBS2 for the current season.

"It's been reasonably well documented that FFA and SBS have explored alternatives," FFA chief executive David Gallop said at the time.

Oliver & Ohlbaum are advising the FFA on the negotiations. They were recommended by City Football Group, owners of English Premier League giants Manchester City who own 80 per cent of A-league club Melbourne City.

Fairfax Media revealed in January 2015 that football authorities were confident they could secure a large increasing in the value of the rights, potentially $80 million per year. However, this would depend on whether television operators believe that could achieve higher ratings than the sport gets now.

Last week, the FFA announced a strategic plan for 2016-2019 focusing on audience and revenue growth for the sport.

"This is primarily about broadcast rights and commercial partnerships, which are the economic foundation of football around the world," FFA chairman Steven Lowy said.

"There is impatience from all levels of the game to do more, and do it quickly. That's good. It's healthy. The upcoming renegotiation of our broadcast arrangements will be critical to funding our four-year strategy, but some projects can't wait until we wrap up that new deal."

The league is planning several initiatives, including a centralised approached to marquee player recruitment, trying to bring more Socceroos players to the A-League, and improving grassroots projects to better connect with fans.

"Having the funds to invest in the Whole of Football Plan is fundamental, but so too is the unity of purpose that comes from all football's stakeholders working together," Mr Gallop said last week.

The story Football Federation Australia to open TV talks in April first appeared on The Sydney Morning Herald.

http://www.afr.com/business/media-an...0160310-gnff18

This will be critical for the future of the league, I like the idea of channel Ten buying the right you know they'll focus promoting it as priority as a appose to seven and Nine who will most likely keep it behind the AFL/NRL.

How Ten promotes the BBL has been brilliant imo and its only a short tournament so it won't dilute much from the A-league, especially as the A-league will probably only have two free to air matches per week so they can work around the scheduling.

I wish the FFA would allow clubs to package up an optional "media" component to their memberships. I'd pay extra if I could get access to replays of all games via the Adelaide website, gives them more money, more hits to their website thus more earnings.
Relying on a 2 minute highlights package on the HAL website isn't good enough to get an idea what happened in a game. I don't necessarily want to watch every minute of every game but the ability should be there for those that do want to when and where they want.
It's a no brainer.

Finkler a marquee signing? Seriously? One of the more overated players in recent times.
His first 2 years were quality when he was on the park but I don't reckon many Victory fans will be sad to see the back of him now.

Finkler a marquee signing? Seriously? One of the more overated players in recent times.

Wouldn't call him overrated has provide some wonderful goals and was the assist King for three seasons!

Having said that he has been shithouse this season, with signs of him starting to struggle with the pace and physicality of the league.

As I've stated in the Victory thread I think its time for the club to move on and find someone younger and better in the creative AM role just like we did when we moved on Carlos for Finkler! I trust the clubs judgement to find someone they haven't disappointed in the past.

Fred>Carlos>Finkler>???

Finkler hasn't been great this season but look at where the Victory are on the ladder. The whole team has underperformed barring maybe Delpierre and Berisha. Even Berisha hasn't been at his best for a while but like I said the whole team has been down for a while now. In saying that Finkler has been outstanding for the Victory since arriving and hope he can have a better season at Wellington next season.

Wouldn't call him overrated has provide some wonderful goals and was the assist King for three seasons!

Having said that he has been shithouse this season, with signs of him starting to struggle with the pace and physicality of the league.

As I've stated in the Victory thread I think its time for the club to move on and find someone younger and better in the creative AM role just like we did when we moved on Carlos for Finkler! I trust the clubs judgement to find someone they haven't disappointed in the past.

Fred>Carlos>Finkler>???

Fred was not a creative AM, he was a very good wide player, for sure, but you would not put him in the same category as Carlos as a playmaker.

Fred was not a creative AM, he was a very good wide player, for sure, but you would not put him in the same category as Carlos as a playmaker.

He most definitely was a creative midfielder, from what I remember of Fred when he played for us he played in that role and ripped it up! One of the very first in the league at the time to do so. Thompson and Allsopp ran riot that season with him behind the two. He had five assists in The 07 Grand Final! In our 6-0 win! Without him I doubt we would have even been close to winning anything that season!

Last edited:
He most definitely was a creative midfielder, from what I remember of Fred when he played for us he played in that role and ripped it up! One of the very first in the league at the time to do so. Thompson and Allsopp ran riot that season with him behind the two. He had five assists in The 07 Grand Final! In our 6-0 win! Without him I doubt we would have even been close to winning anything that season!

Sorry, we have a different opinion then of what constitutes creative mid, Fred was very dynamic and quick, but he was a very, very different player to Carlos, who was a true playmaker.

If ever there was a time for the FFA to play all Round 27 games on the same day, same time it's this year. Anyone in the top 5 can win the PP.
CCM and Newcastle can play the SBS Friday night match and then all other contenders play on the Saturday. Won't happen but it would be good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back