I like GWS but hate Gold Coast. Anyone feel the same?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ehh, couldn't care less what people think about us?

However I do love the way GWS have gone about making their decisions.

Drafting is honestly like a raffle at times, you can get the good and the bad. Someone said Toy, yeah was spose to be a gun but has been a huge let down.

I do, however think we have made some quesitonable decisions with the senior players e.g. Nathan Krackour just walking out, and still having to pay his wage and Brown who does little to nothing for us (Had a chance to kick some crucial goals that were relativly easy shots and missed em both).

Brennan can be inconsistant but he can have his moments, needs to stay far away from defence though.

Bock was great till his leg.

Harbrow was looking good before his elbow.

Iles and Stanley have been good in the first 18 months.

Fraser was always going to be a stop gap but has done his role well.

Rischatelli has been alright playing a lock down role yesterday keeping Scully pretty quiet.

And Ablett is well... Ablett.

Warnock has been playing well also.

As far as young talent go, our 3 big forwards in Lynch, Day and Dixon are starting to come around to showing something.

Our midfield is looking good Bennell, Swallow, Prestia to name a few with Jaegar to come in next year.

Our defence is our only real question mark at the moment. May looks alright and Thompson has been killing it in the seconds just biding his time. We just have to wait and see.

So we are looking up.

Lastly, yeah our kit really needs to be looked at, Love the colours, just need a better jersey design, absolutly detest our away white.

I'm mostly indifferent to both teams, with no history its hard to have feelings one way or another and I've only seen a handful of matches from each side.

I have a massive soft spot for GWS. No idea why or how.

Hated the idea of putting another team in western Sydney. Hated hearing that their colours were charcoal and orange after seeing drafts/ideas of blue and black. Sfellowed at Kevin Sheedy being their coach. Cried tears of 'what has this game come to-ness' when Israel Folau switched codes.

I don't know. I just like them. They're like Dr. Pepper - don't ask me ***ing why, I just like it.

I like watching the Suns play. They can be very exciting when they are playing well.

When they get it right, the Suns are an amazing, high-skill, high-tempo side - for example, their last quarter against Port last year, or their second quarter against us this year.

When they get it right, the Suns are an amazing, high-skill, high-tempo side - for example, their last quarter against Port last year, or their second quarter against us this year.

Yeah if the Suns are playing well I like to watch them play, they can pla some exciting footy at times.

Don't really like GWS mainly because I don't like the place itself.

Watching that match yesterday: it looked like a real footy club versus an 'outfit'

People are responding to the authenticity of GWS. Their players look like football players. Their club song has heart. Their kids are playing like they are not waiting to get 50 games under their belts before they feel they belong.

Watching that match yesterday: it looked like a real footy club versus an 'outfit'

People are responding to the authenticity of GWS. Their players look like football players. Their club song has heart. Their kids are playing like they are not waiting to get 50 games under their belts before they feel they belong.

GWS did want it more yesterday, but then again Gold Coast wanted it much, much more than Port, Brisbane or Richmond last year.

Double-teaming an under-done Ablett, first with Shiel and then in the second half with a super-fit Scully was a tactical masterstroke as well - onya, Sheeds and Choco, two-man the <censored>.

As far as belonging, I'd say Hunt and Bennell definitely belong, and Im not going to call any team soft that has an eighteen year old tell a trainer to look for his teeth after charging back into the play.

GC have some good kids, and Ablett will play forward pocket for a good long time :)

Anybody who has ever been to both the GC and western sydney who isn't some greasy lebo from around liverpool area knows why gold coast is better then western sydney.

GWS just needed the young players to take over the image of the club from Sheedys attempts for publicity. From the first attempt to get into Sydney over it being their stadium to the 'watch out' we are coming for your players.
I thought this bloke was street smart.

Now they can be judged by good efforts on the field and up and coming players. Williams and Sheedy can be good for a clubs image or offputting in the one press conference or interview.

Gold Coast may have a few older recruits that people dont like such as Brown and Brennan but really I feel more for the Gold Coast in that Brown has just taken them for a nice payout and was never serious about what he was really recruited for. Gold Coast can be good to watch when they are on.

When they get a bit successful is when people will like them or not as players will have the chance to be bolder in the media. Will they have a team of Simon Blacks or Jason Ackermanis'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GC's jumper and colors are s**t, GWS's jumper and colors are great and original.

GC took an unproven coach just because he came from a succesfull Collingwood. Opposed to GWS taking two former long-term coaches despite them both becoming unfashionable in modern footy. (Makenna may know better game plans , but he wont be able to get his team to execute it)

And i cannot get my head around why a team would recruite Brown let alone pay him a big salary.

I prefer GWS for several reasons. Firstly I grew up in the GWS area so have an attachment to the area. Secondly, the Sheedy factor. Thirdly their jumper is so much better than the Gold Coast. The Suns jumper is the worst in the AFL by a long shot. Simply terrible. I saw someone with a Suns jumper on walking down the street the other day and all I could think was, "s**t that looks hideous".

4thly, GWS' club song shits all over Gold Coast's 100 fold.

I think the Suns' management screwed up royally when given the chance to create a club identity from the ground up - what a rare and valuable chance they had to create something inspirational. And the end result was the worst guernseys in the AFL. It looks like they're spruiking a fast food joint. The song is crap and the mascot "GC" or whatever he's called is incredibly forgettable (I had to look the name up).

GWS on the other hand came up with a brilliant song, a jumper that looks better each time I see it featuring colours that mark them as unique - I know that our jumper inspires equal parts adoration and loathing and a strong colour scheme like orange and charcoal will do that too. It's memorable and striking. They were also smart enough to include Canberra (much as I would prefer us to have our own team here). If they get it right it will give them thousands more members. And Canberra gets an upgraded Manuka and guaranteed games for years to come. Win/win.

Now, having said all that I was cheering for the Gold Coast on the weekend! They have Hunt and Bennell. Love watching them play. There's a strong Collingwood element on and off the field and the Gold Coast is a geographic location with a genuine identity, as opposed to a vague idea of an area designed to rake in as many supporters as possible. I have little time for Sheedy. Unpleasant little man who didn't even know the words to the song when his young charges obviously did after the win. Just a minor thing but it sums him up pretty well. Disliked the way Scully went about leaving a struggling club that would have made him captain - not that I blame him for setting himself up financially, but I dislike what it represents in terms of the AFL gutting the existing teams to manufacture new ones, and pretending that it isn't happening until the official announcement is made. The AFL, Scully and GWS treated the AFL public with contempt. Sheedy's bleating about headhunting other teams' players is disrespectful and won't be forgotten, regardless of whether or not blokes like Cloke sign up.

Long story short, I love seeing all those young stars-in-the-making run around together, but won't forget what the AFL did to the existing clubs, especially those attempting to rebuild, in order to make that happen. Suns by a whisker for me.

Disliked the way Scully went about leaving a struggling club that would have made him captain - not that I blame him for setting himself up financially, but I dislike what it represents in terms of the AFL gutting the existing teams to manufacture new ones, and pretending that it isn't happening until the official announcement is made. The AFL, Scully and GWS treated the AFL public with contempt. Sheedy's bleating about headhunting other teams' players is disrespectful and won't be forgotten, regardless of whether or not blokes like Cloke sign up.

So, I assume you hate the treacherous, gutless recruit who walked out on a struggling side that was trying to establish itself, claiming he wanted to win premierships ?

What was his name ... its on the tip of my tongue.

Thats right. Nathan Buckley.

*Theres* a man who knew how to treat fans with contempt.

Pretty much agree with the OP. Gold Coast is a bunch of soft show ponies. Was all ready to hate GWS but they are hard at the ball & give it a genuine try. Sheedy still the great showman.

The song & colours are growing on me like an out of control fungal infection.

agree 100% with OP. Gold Coast have always seemed sleezy and undeserving to me. I know its illogical, but for some reason they feel completely different.

So, I assume you hate the treacherous, gutless recruit who walked out on a struggling side that was trying to establish itself, claiming he wanted to win premierships ?

What was his name ... its on the tip of my tongue.

Thats right. Nathan Buckley.

*Theres* a man who knew how to treat fans with contempt.

:D No, there's a poor analogy from a GWS supporter clutching at straws for some reason that I can't quite fathom.

The reason I don't get where you're coming from is that I never said anything about "hating" Scully. In fact I seem to recall saying I understand him wanting to set himself up financially. Hate? I don't "hate" anything about GWS. Not even Sheeds can inspire hatred for a club that's existed for about 5 minutes.

All I said was that I disliked the way the AFL, GWS and Scully went about it all. Pretending that he wasn't sure if he was going when he clearly was. Likewise pretending that a deal hadn't been done with Davis in order to maintain a facade that we could all see through.

I also dislike the way other clubs have had to sacrifice in order to "help" GWS and GC. The AFL set up the draft in the interests of a fair and even competition. Or so we're told. Melbourne, Carlton, St Kilda (and yes, Collingwood) benefited from that when they bottomed out. But I feel for clubs like Brisbane and Port who should have kids like Coniglio, Patton, Swallow and Bennell on their lists. And for all their bumbling I feel for Melbourne for losing someone they saw as a future leader to a club with an artificially bloated salary cap. I find it hard to see much good in it outside of Tom Scully and GWS's point of view, and I see plenty of bad.

As for Buckley, his situation isn't analogous, as much as you may wish it were so. Treachery implies a violation of trust. It implies deceit. Quite the opposite to this, Buckley never wanted to be at Brisbane and he made that clear prior to the draft. So clear that it was written into his contract that he could leave at the end of the season. How you consider that treacherous is baffling. The Bears drafted him in the hope that he'd change his mind. He didn't. Instead he played out his season, won the rising star award and went to Collingwood, after several Melbourne clubs did their best to get him, including North. It gave Brisbane supporters a lot of pleasure to see him lose two GFs to that same side and fair enough too - footy is an emotional game and that's why we love it. But how you then draw a comparison to what I dislike about Scully's move is fanciful. It's not the leaving one club for another that I disliked, it's the "he hasn't signed" mirage they conspired to manufacture and the fact that struggling lists have had to pay in top draft picks in order to help prop up the new clubs.

Wouldn't say I like either. I often find myself barracking for both teams when watching them though as I like to go with the underdog.

I've probably enjoyed watching GWS more than I've enjoyed watching GC though.

I find it amusing that most of the hatred is coming from fans of clubs who are expansion clubs in their own right. Port, Freo, West Coast, Brisbane etc. Ar you saying that those clubs didnt get consessions themselves when they started out?? Hell Sth Melbourne have been getting massive consessions since they moved. Western Sydney is the most populated area in the country, to say they didnt deserve their own team in what is supposed to be the most national of football codes is a joke. Sydney finally have their own club (Sth Melbourne dont and never will count, f***ing ballerinas).

Giants now walk the land, and we are here to stay!!

I find it amusing that most of the hatred is coming from fans of clubs who are expansion clubs in their own right. Port, Freo, West Coast, Brisbane etc. Ar you saying that those clubs didnt get consessions themselves when they started out?? Hell Sth Melbourne have been getting massive consessions since they moved. Western Sydney is the most populated area in the country, to say they didnt deserve their own team in what is supposed to be the most national of football codes is a joke. Sydney finally have their own club (Sth Melbourne dont and never will count, f***ing ballerinas).

Giants now walk the land, and we are here to stay!!
Well, I think the general consensus is that Gold Coast and GWS have had huge concessions. Fremantle and Port had nowhere near the level of draft comfort that these two new teams have. You could argue that West Coast and Adelaide enjoyed the pluck of an entire footy- playing state, thus had their own form of concession. But that's debatable. I'm not even against the expansion process. I can see the logic and desired effect of adding these two clubs. I'm not being bitter or anything.

Personally, I've just never warmed to the Giants. Boring club in a terrible location with a bunch of unlikeable players. The Suns seem to have some degree of... likeability?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back