If Geelong lose tonight...

Remove this Banner Ad

It's going to be a huge game, and to say there is more than just a GF spot at stake here is understating it.

Regardless of the result, its another enthralling chapter in what is currently the biggest and best rivalry in footy.

Woah I'm back in 2010 again...You'd think after so many years predicting our downfall people would stop and just wait till it happens. Then you can stick the boot in.

It's kinda like people still think we have the same team from 2007 and hence we should be falling away because of that.

Taking to the field tonight will be 14 players not involved in the 2007 premiership side. We have been turning over our playing list and injecting new players into the side over the past 6 years so we won't just fall away when a few senior players retire, and at the end of this season there is every possibility that another 2 or 3 (maybe more) of that premiership side will retire.
Maybe people need to stop looking at the Geelong team that has played this year and is going to take to the field tonight as the end of one era (2007), and acknowledge that this current team is starting a new era, with new players, a new coach and wanting to have their own run of success not just hanging onto past successes of the club.

If we lose... the players will make a pact never to lose again to these.... oh hang on.... Chappy got suspended on purpose so he can walk away at the end of the year knowing he never lost again to Hawthorn :D

What, as opposed to Fremantle's underperformance for its existence?

Very few Hawthorn supporters actually say it.

Yeah, this wouldn't be the same Hawthorn that has repeatedly said that other clubs would be glad they're out of finals when they've been knocked out.

Yeah, this wouldn't be the same Hawthorn that has repeatedly said that other clubs would be glad they're out of finals when they've been knocked out.

That sentence made absolutely no sense.

LOL. Rohan Connolly ran with some similar rubbish earlier in the week.

The current Geelong team have beaten Hawthorn in a QF. A massive game and they won the 2011 flag off the back of this win.

This Hawthorn can't beat Geelong when it counts crap stems from 89 and 08 grand finals. Of course that's the most 'when it counts' day ever. But it's also complete crud because almost no one would've beat the Hawks in 89 and whilst Hawthorn won 2008 the cats won 07, 09 and 11.

I'd gladly nominate Melbourne for being unable to beat Hawthorn when it counts. We haven't beat them at all in years!

Anyway I'll put the MCC membership to good use tonight (don't worry I'll be in the bar not taking a seat) so my big question is who will annoy me more; Geelong Grammar and rich farm kids with their R M Williams or flog Hawthorn supporters turning up for their second game of the year.

Agree with Cam Mooney on this one - if Hawthorn can't beat Geelong tonight they never will.
Shouldn't underestimate how big a loss Enright is tonight.
Just does everything right in the D50, and there'd be a number of matchups that Chris Scott just knew that if Enright went to, the worst he would do is break even.

Can't wait for tonight - will be a belter.

Gotta laugh at all those who say Geelong have nothing to lose - like they are guaranteed to get to a grand final next and the year after.

They have had a golden age for the club but this is more than likely going to be their last opportunity to get to a grand final for a very long time. They have plenty to lose.

Agreed. The only time your team has 'nothing to lose' is when you don't think they have a chance to win. And I think Geelong is every chance to win.

So many trolls in this thread. Fact is the cats have Enright, and Chappy out. Hawkins is lame. Cats had a tough game last week while Hawks had the break. Hawks finished on top, the best side a year and are strong favourites. If hawthorn don't win tonight ill be staggered. That said. The tears will be delicious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1963 GF - Gee def Hawthorn (109-60)
1989 GF - Haw def Gee - 144-138
1991 S/F - Haw def Gee - 95-93
2000 E/F - Haw def Gee - 92-83
2008 GF - Haw def Gee - 115-89
2011 QF - Gee def Haw - 98 67

WAR! What is it good for? Absolutely nothing!

Wasn't there also a semi-final win to Geelong in 63?

Lonergan is surprising...very much a fringe player in 2009.

Only played 9 matches but it included the 2 games against the Hawks - got dropped the week after both games though.

Only played 9 matches but it included the 2 games against the Hawks - got dropped the week after both games though.

To illustrate my point: Scarlett and Taylor were both injured during the second game between the clubs in 2009 (the Bartel point after the siren game) and I don't think Harley played. I clearly remember Mackie going to Franklin and I'm pretty sure Milburn spent most of his time on Roughead. Where the heck was Lonergan? A good indication of just how far he's come as a defender.

One big difference tonight compared to almost all those games.

Geelong have had for most of that period the advantage in tall forwards over the hawks defenders. It was Hawkins and Pods v undersized Gibson and Schoenmakers. You can almost wait for the Schoenmakers moment at some stage throughout the game.

Now it's Lake and Gibson up against Pods and a Hawkins who can barely run. So many of the Geelong wins have been by less than 2 goals and I'd say that even though key forwards rarely kick a bag in big finals these days that the inclusion of Lake and Hawkins injury will count at least a 2 goal swing.

Lonergan is surprising...very much a fringe player in 2009.
Lonergan was chosen over Hawkins as full forward for the round 1 match in 2009. He was out due to injury after it and Hawkins cemented his spot. Lonergan played as centre back since then(obviously terrible in 2009 season). Round 17 match was when we were hit hard by injuries. Not only Lonergan, we even fielded Tenace and Hogan in that match.

Lonergan was chosen over Hawkins as full forward for the round 1 match in 2009. He was out due to injury after it and Hawkins cemented his spot. Lonergan played as centre back since then(obviously terrible in 2009 season). Round 17 match is when we were hit hard by injuries. Not only Lonergan, we even fielded Tenace and Hogan in that match.
Correct, I remember "Geelong Crazy 26" telling me all about it on my profile page on bigfooty! :p

Now it's Lake and Gibson up against Pods and a Hawkins who can barely run. So many of the Geelong wins have been by less than 2 goals and I'd say that even though key forwards rarely kick a bag in big finals these days that the inclusion of Lake and Hawkins injury will count at least a 2 goal swing.

This is where the midfield battle is crucial. If Geelong can cause turnovers and then get through the middle of the ground without fumbling like they have in recent weeks, they're a far better chance to get Pods or Hawkins one-out or on a lead. If we do fumble and allow the Hawks to flood back and force us to bomb it in, Lake and Gibson will mop up in the same way Lonergan and Taylor do against Hawthorn. It's all about composure and precision. If the Cats make mistakes coming out of defence or running through the midfield, the Hawks will carve them up.

One big difference tonight compared to almost all those games.

Geelong have had for most of that period the advantage in tall forwards over the hawks defenders. It was Hawkins and Pods v undersized Gibson and Schoenmakers. You can almost wait for the Schoenmakers moment at some stage throughout the game.

Hawkins played in Round 15...well after these back problems had first flared up (he missed his first game due to this in Round 5). He went goalless and Pods kicked one.

The Kennetts curse will mean absolutely nothing and the persona will last that Geelong can not beat Hawthorn when it really counts. Now I am not a fan of either side and to be honest hope Geelong win tonight but I feel like this footy club needs to prove that on the biggest stages it can defeat Hawthorn.

This obviously dates back to the 1989 Grand final which is considered the greatest of all time, however looking deeper into it from that date Geelong when it really counts struggle to get past the Hawks. We all know this is not a player/individual thing but more so reaches to the very core of both football clubs, this rivalry is truly unique and 1 of a kind.

1989 GF - Haw def Gee - 144-138
1991 S/F - Haw def Gee - 95-93
2000 E/F - Haw def Gee - 92-83
2008 GF - Haw def Gee - 115-89

The modern day Geelong organisation need to defeat Hawthorn tonight, it will do justice to the footy club as a whole. However, sadly, I think this 'other' more important curse will continue and the Hawks will march onto next week. :thumbsdown:

To quote somebody's song lyric
"Round and round we go"

Nah, the only time Hawthorn won when they shouldn't have was 2008. The rest of these games are now implicated after the fact. For example, if Geelong had of won the '89 GF it would have been one of the biggest upsets of all time. Hawthorn didn't win because they "own" Geelong, they won because they were an unbelievable side and Geelong wasn't.

Unfortunately for Geelong the only other chance they have to really "get" them comes tonight, but I doubt that'll happen due to a multitude of reasons, namely that they're not as good as they once were.

Losing that '08 GF is just one that the club will always have to live with.

Yep, that sums it up.

Geelong has never beaten Sydney in a Final!!!!! Thats more than 100 years in the curse.:eek:
Geelong only 33% win record against Fremantle in finals!!!!

I'm not sure we should make it through tonight!!

If Geelong win tonight, we will have a 50% record against Hawthorn in finals!

Currently
0/3 Sydney
1/2 Fremantle
3/4 Hawthorn

Just highlighting the idiocy of making claims based off small sample sizes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back