Should the Lions keep Fagan around if they lose tonight?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fagan said earlier this year when quizzed as to why now coaches from the bench every match , he replied that after badly tearing his hamstring off the bone , in the 2018 Big Freeze slide event he had to stay ground level.

He said it now takes him to long to get down to the ground , manoeuvring via stairs and corridors and back to the coaches box for the 1/4 and 3/4 time addresses.

There was a shot of him going up some stairs in the rooms after the game. He was struggling, guess that explains why.

Even after the win I feel Fagan might have done all he can with the list. Reckon we have the talent but don't know if his methods are pushing us along enough. Doesn't seem to be a lot of accountability from them and he's very soft on them.

Posted this before and will post again. I think Fagan is a solid coach. He has just been unlucky in certain finals. Mainly due to lack of finals.

2018, the last year Brisbane were outside the top 8. Posted a 5-17 record. To be honest they lost 3-5 close games that season and should of got 7-9 wins that season and trending upwards. At this point their last final was back in 2009 or 2010.

2019: got top 4 and went out in straight sets. Lost to an experienced tigers side. Lost to GWS narrowly in that semi final. GWS had enough (finals) experience to see out Brisbane. Even if Brisbane won, I don't think they would of beaten Collingwood at the MCG.

2020: beat the tigers in the Gabba. Lost to a finals hardened cats side.

2021: finished 4th. Lost in the qualifying final again. Got beaten in a semi final in the Gabba vs a finals packed dogs side. Sort of wished Brisbane got 5th that season and belted the 8th placed Essendon at the Gabba.

Prior to 2018, Brisbane never lost a final at the Gabba.

From 2019-2021, they have lost 4 home finals at the Gabba, all by teams with much more finals experience than them.

I don't think it's the coaches issue. That Brisbanes side that won flags in 2001-3, it took 8-10 years to build that side.

Posted this before and will post again. I think Fagan is a solid coach. He has just been unlucky in certain finals. Mainly due to lack of finals.

2018, the last year Brisbane were outside the top 8. Posted a 5-17 record. To be honest they lost 3-5 close games that season and should of got 7-9 wins that season and trending upwards. At this point their last final was back in 2009 or 2010.

2019: got top 4 and went out in straight sets. Lost to an experienced tigers side. Lost to GWS narrowly in that semi final. GWS had enough (finals) experience to see out Brisbane. Even if Brisbane won, I don't think they would of beaten Collingwood at the MCG.

2020: beat the tigers in the Gabba. Lost to a finals hardened cats side.

2021: finished 4th. Lost in the qualifying final again. Got beaten in a semi final in the Gabba vs a finals packed dogs side. Sort of wished Brisbane got 5th that season and belted the 8th placed Essendon at the Gabba.

Prior to 2018, Brisbane never lost a final at the Gabba.

From 2019-2021, they have lost 4 home finals at the Gabba, all by teams with much more finals experience than them.

I don't think it's the coaches issue. That Brisbanes side that won flags in 2001-3, it took 8-10 years to build that side.

Fagan reminds me of the bloke who started a business and it got to a really successful level that he then couldn't manage and to get the business to the next level requires a high quality CEO.

They should have made the offer to Clarko last year this team should be at minimum Grand Final or bust this year.

Brisbane supporters get very defensive but until he proves it, had plenty of chances btw all the above is spot on.

Fagan reminds me of the bloke who started a business and it got to a really successful level that he then couldn't manage and to get the business to the next level requires a high quality CEO.

They should have made the offer to Clarko last year this team should be at minimum Grand Final or bust this year.

Brisbane supporters get very defensive but until he proves it, had plenty of chances btw all the above is spot on.
Well some teams in certain eras get a chance and don't win a flag.

Cats 1989-1994 side under coach Malcolm Blight is one.

Collingwood made grand finals in 2002-3. Could of and should Of won 1.

I have brought up saints 2008-2011 and Freos 2012-15 side under coach Ross Lyon too

Perhaps not enough credit given to Port Adelaide?
Even without Boak, it was virtually an even money game and they had the blowtorch applied all summer long by disgruntled supporters.

Well some teams in certain eras get a chance and don't win a flag.

Cats 1989-1994 side under coach Malcolm Blight is one.

Collingwood made grand finals in 2002-3. Could of and should Of won 1.

I have brought up saints 2008-2011 and Freos 2012-15 side under coach Ross Lyon too

Those teams made GFs what's the closest Brisbane has got pumped in a prelim?

Gunston, Ashcroft, McKenna and and absolute jet in Dunkley all into the squad, they have been one of the more healthy teams the last 3 years if that continues how can anyone make anymore excuses to keep Fagan?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those teams made GFs what's the closest Brisbane has got pumped in a prelim?

Gunston, Ashcroft, McKenna and and absolute jet in Dunkley all into the squad, they have been one of the more healthy teams the last 3 years if that continues how can anyone make anymore excuses to keep Fagan?
The Bulldogs 2008-2010 would be a comparison, then.

Great side with some great players.....just a few other teams were a bit better than them during that time.

It happens.

The Bulldogs 2008-2010 would be a comparison, then.

Great side with some great players.....just a few other teams were a bit better than them during that time.

It happens.
Bulldogs in 2008-10 were good but like Geelong's 1989-1995 sides, had a horrible back line

I still like them for top 2

They will flat track bully at home all year that's 12 wins and should be beating the bottom 4 easily.

They are a top 3 lock, finals is where it all falls apart.

If there's ever a time to embrace the tank, it's now.

Basically 0-3, give up on this season and bring in 3 solid kids (Top pick + Ashcroft + Marshall), come back next year with the ACL & injury crew back.

Fagan shouldn't be in charge of next year though, not sure who you get.

If there's ever a time to embrace the tank, it's now.

Basically 0-3, give up on this season and bring in 3 solid kids (Top pick + Ashcroft + Marshall), come back next year with the ACL & injury crew back.

Fagan shouldn't be in charge of next year though, not sure who you get.
It’s not too late to delete this

Remove this Banner Ad

Back