Opinion Should the Premiership Cup be called the Barassi Cup?

Should the Premiership Cup be called the Barassi Cup?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well im sure there is some other award to name after him, just leave the premiership cup as it is

Name the VFL premiership after him maybe, thats the comp he won. He never won an AFL premiership, would be inappropriate
You do realise the vfl turned into the afl and the vfa turned into the vfl. The vfl never had vic clubs seconds in it, nor did it have the likes of Williamstown and Werribee. Geez you interstate supporter’s have no ******* idea.

And Ross Oakley had to perform the actual work of going from the VFL to the AFL, which included bringing in 5 new teams.

Who do you think was more 'responsible' for the formation of the AFL?

A bloke 'pushing' for a national competition, or the bloke who actually set up the framework and implemented the change?
Stop running down Ron mate, you have no idea how big and influential he was on and off the field.

Stop running down Ron mate, you have no idea how big and influential he was on and off the field.
I'm not but it's the AFL now and most supporters under 30 wouldn't have a clue who Barassi was.

Naming the premiership cup after a bloke probably half the supporters know little/nothing about, just to please the old-timers, is probably not a path the AFL is interested in going down.

Like I said earlier, the AFLCA would be far more appropriate.

I'm not but it's the AFL now and most supporters under 30 wouldn't have a clue who Barassi was.

Naming the premiership cup after a bloke probably half the supporters know little/nothing about, just to please the old-timers, is probably not a path the AFL is interested in going down.

People under 30 have no idea who Charles Brownlow, John Coleman , Norm Smith, Stephen Michael, John Cahill were either.
The point here is that Barassi was number 1 person in influence in the history of the game, more than Ted Whitten and everyone else, so some proper recognition is needed.

People under 30 have no idea who Charles Brownlow, John Coleman , Norm Smith, Stephen Michael, John Cahill were either.
The point here is that Barassi was number 1 person in influence in the history of the game, more than Ted Whitten and everyone else, so some proper recognition is needed.
No, they don't know who those people are but they know the names of the medals, because they're been named as such for such a long time.

Completely incomparable.

No problem with it at all. And he caused the Pies more heartache than any individual in history probably. He was a genuine hero anyway you look at it- of Bradman/Laver/Freeman proportions. Don't worry about interstate whingers. Pretty much everything upsets them.

It's not that hard to find out who he was. There is no excuse for remaining ignorant in 2023.

It's not that hard to find out who he was. There is no excuse for remaining ignorant in 2023.
People 30 and under grew up with the AFL.

Sorry to say but they're not really going to care too much about a bloke they never saw play or coach.

It's no disrespect to Ron, it's just how it is.

Changing the name of the premiership cup isn't going to mean anything to the new generation of supporters coming through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry to say but they're not really going to care too much about a bloke they never saw play or coach.

Changing the name of the premiership cup isn't going to mean anything to the new generation of supporters coming through.
No disrespect to people under 30 but who cares if it doesnt mean much to them. Their turn will come to understand legacies and name things.

No disrespect to people under 30 but who cares if it doesnt mean much to them. Their turn will come to understand legacies and name things.
It matters a lot, actually, because they're the next generation of supporters who will pump money into the game for the next 40 years.

Why should the cup be named to please some old-timers, when the majority of supporters these days were alive/old enough to see him play/coach?

Times change.

There's plenty of other ways to honour Ron, other than naming a cup that should have no association with a particular person.

so based on that argument the MCC were wrong in naming the stand after Shane Warne because in a few years kids won't know who he was?

Again, there is no excuse for ignorance in this day and age. If you don't know about something or someone - Google it. I do it regularly and I can tell you, in terms of educating and enriching yourself, it is very rewarding. :)

Yeah it's because none of us care, tbh.
You seem to care.

Barassi's schievrments were;
-10 flags as player and coach
  • Afl Team of the Century
  • Invented the modern game of football with handball game
  • pushed hard for a National competion when it was unpopular
  • stablised Sydney at the request of the AFL when it was a basket case and chose Rodney Eade as coach to set up a long period of success.
  • Am ambassador for the game and cultural influence .
    - first coach to recruit Irish players

You should be thanking him for pushing for the national game.
Was the first play the position of Ruck-Rover as well.

He is the greatest Australian Rules Football personality post world war II. No questions about it.

If the premiership cup should be named after someone he's the most deserving.

Sure, they could. Probably wouldn't be as popular a move as you guys seem to think though.

Plus they'll lose their major sponsor in Toyota.

Do you want the AFL Toyota Ron Barassi cup?

Sounds stupid.

Also, unlike your attempt at likening the Shane Warne stand to the AFL premiership cup, clubs don't take the Shane Warne stand back to their club and put it up for display for their members to view.

I can only imagine in the future if the premiership cup is named after a person:

Kid - "Hey dad, what this 'Ron Barassi' cup?"

Parent - "Oh son/daughter/it that's the cup received for when the team wins the AFL premiership"

Kid - "So why isn't it called the premiership cup?"

Parent - "Because Ron Barassi was a famous person who did a lot for a few clubs."

Kid - "What did he do for our club?"

Parent -"Nothing."

Kid - "So why is our premiership cup named after him?"

Parent - "No idea"

I kinda like the cup having it’s nameless mystique.

The Holy Grail wouldn’t be the same as The Jesus Christ Holy Grail.

Must be a dozen other ways to honour Ron.
I'm not fussed whether they name the cup after him or not. I can certainly see the arguments in favour of it though.

My biggest issue is the timing of all this, ie after the man has died. His contributions to the game have been in place for years, if the AFL was going to do this why not do it while he was alive? For all we know he may not have been comfortable with the idea.

It just all seems a bit late for me, plus, given the timing, it seems to be driven by emotion as much as anything else.

Again, there is no excuse for ignorance in this day and age. If you don't know about something or someone - Google it. I do it regularly and I can tell you, in terms of educating and enriching yourself, it is very rewarding. :)

Do you know who Ross Oakley is?

Why should people really care about the history of a suburban league when they support a national one?

Like it or not, people aren't obliged to look up the past history of a bloke their club has no connection to.

You seem to care.

About the VFA? I don't think anyone does.

Do you know who Ross Oakley is?

Why should people really care about the history of a suburban league when they support a national one?

Like it or not, people aren't obliged to look up the past history of a bloke their club has no connection to.

About the VFA? I don't think anyone does.
Aaaaand, there we have what is underpinning your posting on this matter.

I can't help you remove the chip from your shoulder, sorry.

The irony is that I am also a non-Victorian, but I don't let it universally dictate my views.

Sure, they could. Probably wouldn't be as popular a move as you guys seem to think though.

Plus they'll lose their major sponsor in Toyota.

Do you want the AFL Toyota Ron Barassi cup?

Sounds stupid.

Also, unlike your attempt at likening the Shane Warne stand to the AFL premiership cup, clubs don't take the Shane Warne stand back to their club and put it up for display for their members to view.

I can only imagine in the future if the premiership cup is named after a person:

Kid - "Hey dad, what this 'Ron Barassi' cup?"

Parent - "Oh son/daughter/it that's the cup received for when the team wins the AFL premiership"

Kid - "So why isn't it called the premiership cup?"

Parent - "Because Ron Barassi was a famous person who did a lot for a few clubs."

Kid - "What did he do for our club?"

Parent -"Nothing."

Kid - "So why is our premiership cup named after him?"

Parent - "No idea"
You ever thought of being a scriptwriter? That's solid work right there. If the kid doesn't care - neither do I. If the kid wants to look into the legacy of someone deemed worthy of having the trophy named after him - that's awesome. It's not about our clubs. Barassi tortured my club for years. But I know a legend when I see one. I vote YES.

Back