Opinion If Reid were to miss several weeks again, should he retire?

Remove this Banner Ad

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Well it looks like Reid has done YET another medium term leg injury while playing in the VFL which will pretty much rule him out of playing any senior games in 2015.

No one has really discussed this much yet, so is it time for Reid to hang up the boots? It's seems beyond doubt his body cannot deal with playing AFL footy. The club has tried everything, even tried to send him to Germany but still nothing has worked. He is incapable of even getting through a VFL game without missing a month.

He is taking up a fair chunk of salary cap space, so is this the end of Ben Reid or does he still have a future in the AFL?

Terrible story for one of the best young KPP in the AFL

I highly doubt he would Retire. The Club would not give up on him and they been no real Long Term Injuries this year. Just been Set Backs.

Is there a difference between a LTI and constant medium term setbacks? He cannot get on the footy field and I doubt his body is going to magically fix itself.

Is there a difference between a LTI and constant medium term setbacks? He cannot get on the footy field and I doubt his body is going to magically fix itself.

Well - I don’t think he will Retire and Club won’t let him go.

Too Talented to let another Club to put them on there List

Still only 26 , wont retire. Nor would the pies trade him unless he requested it for a fresh start

and I doubt Reid would leave the Club. What team would take on his Big Contract?

No chance his body will hold together past 28 and he can't even get it right now. He should retire and free up cap space, terrible result but there isn't much of a choice.

From senior list

Out
Reid
young
thomas
Keeffe

In
Dangerfield
R.Pendlebury
M.Still
J.williams

Those 3 blokes would be on minimum wage and offer more than any of the above on high money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wish there was more sympathy for Reid on this board. Imagine how he feels going from one of the best KPP's in the game to always being on the sidelines.

I think most supporters have sympathy for him. Sooner or later though a decision will need to be made, until then the club and player will continue to try and get him right. It's looking unlikely though.

No chance his body will hold together past 28 and he can't even get it right now. He should retire and free up cap space, terrible result but there isn't much of a choice.

Would it Free Up cap Space?

We would have to pay him out

I wish there was more sympathy for Reid on this board. Imagine how he feels going from one of the best KPP's in the game to always being on the sidelines.

We all feel for Reid as keep getting Injured but there is a Time do you wonder is it work Keeping him on the List when he is nearly always on the Injury List.

I would not let him go yet

Still only 26 , wont retire. Nor would the pies trade him unless he requested it for a fresh start
Spot on. The pies won't let him go unless he decides he wants a fresh start then we may trade him. You be surprised some players are injury prone and then leave and go to another club and dont have any problems.

Why would he retire if his still going to get paid if he sticks around, unless the club pays him out I doubt his going anywhere till his contract expires

Regardless of money, no player would choose to sit on a list for two years if his body was no longer up to it.

He will be important to our premiership chances in the next couple of years. He and Browny will need to be the mature bodies in defense around our young talent (think presti in 2010), even if they aren't our best defenders.

By all accounts he isn't on some massivley inflated contract, he can still contribute and is still in a nice age window. Don't see any reason for him to do anything accept keep working his way back.

Why would he retire if his still going to get paid if he sticks around, unless the club pays him out I doubt his going anywhere till his contract expires

Because if he sticks around he has to keep pushing his body to elite standards and keep breaking down again. Constantly being injured over a long period takes a huge mental toll on people, plus he may be concerned for his long term health if he keeps playing footy for a few more years.

He will be important to our premiership chances in the next couple of years. He and Browny will need to be the mature bodies in defense around our young talent (think presti in 2010), even if they aren't our best defenders.

By all accounts he isn't on some massivley inflated contract, he can still contribute and is still in a nice age window. Don't see any reason for him to do anything accept keep working his way back.
He's in his second year on a 500k for 4 years deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back