Opinion If Reid were to miss several weeks again, should he retire?

Remove this Banner Ad

mmmmm.....and why would Daveron just spill the beans to him about that? Not sure about this one. Balmeys report should give us a better indication.
Even if balmys report is short term it would be a month before getting a call up best case

I am not believing this tweet regards where the info came from - but if true then Daveron needs a kick up the backside.

Alternatively, if the guy tweeting it is a mate of his and is happy to name him and pass on info that I am sure Daveron would prefer is kept quiet, what a crap mate.

As to Reid retiring at 26, then absolutely not from my perspective.

I mean he isn't on a $750k contract like his brother, 500k is large but isn't an issue I don't think.

However, I would probably realistically give him till next preseason to be ready to go. If he isn't fit next season I don't think he ever will be.
I thought Sam was on 500k for 5 years and we signed Ben for 600-700k for 4/5 years.

If Ben is on 500k, then I'd keep him on the list at that price- particularly if we can manage it. At 26, should he come good, he will still be an asset to us

I don't think he should retire, or that he will unless he reaches a point where he can't cope with the repetitive cycle of injury, painstaking rehab, near point of return then injury again. It does our head in, god knows what it does to him.

But he's contracted and doing his best to fulfil the contract. He'll never be on this kind of money again in his life, and should take the chance to set himself and his family up for life.

But, despite my enormous sympathy for the poor bugger, I think we've reached a point where the club would be better to move him on. If that means he retires and we pay out the rest of his contract, but we get the cap space and list spot back, so be it.

We have the money to pay him out without it hurting ua, and if the contract payout didn't go against the cap, that space would basically pay the lion's share of what Treloar would want to come across.

If he was fit, obviously he'd add enormously to the team, but I just don't think that's likely enough to happen now to justify the $500k or whatever it is.

All that said, the most likely scenario is that he stays on the list for the life of this contract. Hope he beats the odds and does play some good football for us again.

It will be tougher on Reids body if he makes it back to the seniors thats for sure!! We are building for a team without Reid anyway. If he comes back it will be a bonus but I wouldnt be surprised if he went down again quickly as has happened so many times already. While he may provide temporary benefit I dont think it would be for long. I havent known a player with so many soft tissue injuries at his age to come back and be a star. Sorry Reidy, its time to face reality I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Different case entirely. Rusling never actually strung consistent games together and showed he could make it at AFL level.

Lot easier to rehabilitate a former AA backmen than find a new one. If Brown or Frost go down we are in all sorts in terms of KPD
Well from what we know it isn't easy to rehabiliatate him at all so that's where you're wrong. He's been to Germany and still no success. If Brown and Frost go down Reid will never be fit enough to play in their place anyway!

The perfect thread for all of the negative Nancy's to spread doom and gloom. The upside is too great if he can regain fitness to pull the pin at this point in time.

That is assuming the rumours are true. I would like to see it confirmed by the club before we get the rifle out and put him down.

Well it looks like Reid has done YET another medium term leg injury while playing in the VFL which will pretty much rule him out of playing any senior games in 2015.

No one has really discussed this much yet, so is it time for Reid to hang up the boots? It's seems beyond doubt his body cannot deal with playing AFL footy. The club has tried everything, even tried to send him to Germany but still nothing has worked. He is incapable of even getting through a VFL game without missing a month.

He is taking up a fair chunk of salary cap space, so is this the end of Ben Reid or does he still have a future in the AFL?

Terrible story for one of the best young KPP in the AFL
This is disgusting me, I know its not "his fault, he wants to play" ra ra ra - but there are ramifications to this circus that far outweigh the mere fact he isnt playing. A list spot and a very health salary being two that spring to mind

The perfect thread for all of the negative Nancy's to spread doom and gloom. The upside is too great if he can regain fitness to pull the pin at this point in time.

That is assuming the rumours are true. I would like to see it confirmed by the club before we get the rifle out and put him down.

Also a perfect thread for people to whinge about others who have different opinions.

I thought Sam was on 500k for 5 years and we signed Ben for 600-700k for 4/5 years.

If Ben is on 500k, then I'd keep him on the list at that price- particularly if we can manage it. At 26, should he come good, he will still be an asset to us
Could be, your figure is as good as mine. Would agree if he was close to the 600k+ mark it would need to be looked at

Reid's sort of interesting. he'd make us a better transition team out of the backline because neither Frost or Brown offer that, but also we don't sort of need him that much anymore. Yeah he'd make us a little better but I'm not sweating on his return as going to give us any great lift.

No.

IMHO the only chance of him retiring is on doctor's recommendation.

He's AA backman in year 2 of a lucrative 4 year contract. Both club and player would surely be very happy for him have a crack at it again in 2016.

Reid's sort of interesting. he'd make us a better transition team out of the backline because neither Frost or Brown offer that, but also we don't sort of need him that much anymore. Yeah he'd make us a little better but I'm not sweating on his return as going to give us any great lift.
Have to disagree with you on this point. A fit Reid is an absolute gun. He would add a tremendous amount to the team (or any team for that matter). Having said that I no longer even consider him in any future calculations for the club. I have sadly lost hope. Even if he does come back I doubt he will be able to string many games together before getting injured again. The slightest knock or exertion seems to cause long term injuries for him. It is a contact sport and therefore he is always going to get knocks and bumps.

But has anything new been confirmed? The last advice from the club was only minor setback, why a week later all the doom and gloom? What changed.
Round 1 2014. Reid out of the team. We are told it is minor and he just didn't quite pull up for the game.
Still waiting...........
It has come to the point that when the club says "minor" in reference to Reid that many of us just don't believe it anymore. And with good reason.
Normally I don't like all the negative stuff but when it comes to Reid I think the supporters are justified in becoming frustrated and sceptical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back