If West Coast lose to Hawthorn will Fremantle "throw" the Derby?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah and the dumbarse bookies paid out on us last week to win the flag. We then promptly lose to Richmond, going goalless for not one but two quarters. Bet they feel like dorks now....

Isnt there an assumption that freo would have to believe that they would always beat west coast, and that they could throw the game yet still win a neutral final against them.

Are they really that sure ? The scenario would see freo west coast in a final probably prelim

I don't think Hawthorn will beat the Eagles, but let's say we do, then Fremantle drop the game against West Coast, the Eagles could possibly lose to the Adelaide Crows in Round 22 in Adelaide who are still playing for a spot in the eight and if that happens Hawthorn will overtake West Coast.

Last edited:
You never want to make a habit of losing games. EVER.

Resting players and losing to St. Kilda in late 2013 certainly didn't impede Freo's march to a Grand Final - in fact - it helped them get over Geelong in a final at Kardinia Park!

What do you think Ross Lyon took out of that exercise?????

Freo will want to win every game so they can rest sore players against Melbourne round 22 and send the school boy team over to Adelaide to play Port in round 23 so they are fresh come finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there any risk the second team might have to play at the MCG even if the won the right to a home final? I think that is a possibility in the round before the finals. So coming first might mean a lot.
What

He's talking about Brisbane being forced to play a home final at the MCG in 2004.

Also no one will, McLachlan has come out and said it won't happen.
Hasn't been an issue for 10 years since it was dealt with 10 years ago.

Also what was the part of about last round before finals? Completely threw me.

Well the dockers have won the 754865 derbies in a row, so I doubt they are worried about playing the Eagles in a final

I'd be pretty confident that if Hawthorn beats West Coast that Freo won't throw the Derby

1. Eagles may still finish 3rd with games against Crows & Dogs to come
2. Freo likely to play Eagles in the finals at some point, retaining psychological advantage is a good idea
3. General uproar about not taking the Derby seriously - I think the only reasonable result were Freo to throw the Derby would be in 2016 to only play one Derby in Perth - an Eagles home game
4. Freo haven't 100% locked in top 2 - would look very silly if they slid to 3rd with losses to Eagles, North & Port (unlikely of course but possible)

Ross would never rest for the reasons given. He could have done that in 2012 to try and get a derby elimination final, but didn't and went on to beat Geelong in Melbourne.
He will rest only if key players are sore or travel 2 weeks in a row is likely in the lead up to finals.
I would suggest though that he won't necessarily show all of his cards in the derby, knowing we are likely to play them again in a final soon.

The bigger question should be: Would the Eagles consider throwing a game to finish 4th instead of 3rd?

If that is a possibility come round 23, why would the Eagles want to finish 3rd and travel to the MCG to play Hawthorn, when they can finish 4th and stay at home to play the dockers with a 50/50 crowd split? Would also be able to rest players round 23 before the finals.

The bigger question should be: Would the Eagles consider throwing a game to finish 4th instead of 3rd?

If that is a possibility come round 23, why would the Eagles want to finish 3rd and travel to the MCG to play Hawthorn, when they can finish 4th and stay at home to play the dockers with a 50/50 crowd split? Would also be able to rest players round 23 before the finals.
Would you rather play Fremantle in qualifying or prelim final?

Way to miss the argument put forward in the op.
They wouldn't throw that match for two very simple reasons:
  1. Winning the Derby is as important as winning finals in WA
  2. Wouldn't want to give West Coast the confidence as the chance playing West Coast at some stage in the finals series is reasonably high

Freo will be going full tilt, West Coast have an extremely tough run home, probably the saints the only lock out of their last 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back