Inside forward 50, can we just kick the bloody goal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Megaman123

Team Captain
Oct 4, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
J Curves, playing on, any other stupidity within normal drop punt kicking distance is going to cause me to throw my remote through the TV. Kelly's handball tonight from a kick in turn over and mark was nothing short of ridiculous. This sort of crap has been more prominant this year, Stevie J does it every time now, and he obviously is pretty good at it. But surely there is a time to just go back and kick the bloody goal? Cant imagine Lingy pulling any of these stunts! Am I old fashioned is this new s*#t just the way we are headed?

J Curve Works more often than not just looks s**t when it doesn't come off.

Kelly handball was stupid Stokes looked like it just landed in his lap and WTF!?

No problem with the J Curve. Kelly's moment was pretty bad though.

All up I thought we were pretty good inside 50 tonight. We were very efficient in the final quarter.

No problem with the J Curve. Kelly's moment was pretty bad though.

All up I thought we were pretty good inside 50 tonight. We were very efficient in the final quarter.
I like Geelong and usually barrack for you but the third quarter was lairising of the first order. Surprised you blokes are not more agitated .

Don't mind the snaps. It often works. As long as it goes through good. Would love to see the stats on the % of these kicked compared to drop punt. I think it would be favorable.

Handball 15m out is another thing though.

ha ha ha ha.
Another person from the 90's

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Geelong and usually barrack for you but the third quarter was lairising of the first order. Surprised you blokes are not more agitated .

We had a very taxing game against the Eagles last week over there, most teams come back a wee bit flat. Full credit to the Saints as well, they came at us and were horribly unlucky in front of goal.

Their small forwards absolutely raped our defence.

Good to see that I wasn't the only one who lost it at the time (every immediately around me in cheer squard area didn't seem too fussed)
I've loved the way that post 2007 cats have shared it, but please no more of these when you are 20 out directly in front.

Even if you are 4 up at the time, never give a sucker an even punch!

J Curves, playing on, any other stupidity within normal drop punt kicking distance is going to cause me to throw my remote through the TV. Kelly's handball tonight from a kick in turn over and mark was nothing short of ridiculous. This sort of crap has been more prominant this year, Stevie J does it every time now, and he obviously is pretty good at it. But surely there is a time to just go back and kick the bloody goal? Cant imagine Lingy pulling any of these stunts! Am I old fashioned is this new s*#t just the way we are headed?

No you're not old fashioned, you're completely correct.

I don't mind snaps from the pocket, that's fine. Kelly's handpass was just horseshit, mind you Stokes typically deciding to try and dodge the player instead of just kicking it didn't help. Johnson gave away ANOTHER 50 metre penalty because he apparently was the only person in the ground who didn't know it was a St.Kilda free kick. Selwood throws a guy to the ground off the ball. Just really poor discipline again.

And what is Hawkins doing - he's going back and banging them through with drop punts. There's a lesson there somewhere.

Smacks a bit of the 2008 style where we would try to walk the ball into goal on every opportunity. And we all know how that ended when finally players weren't afforded that space on grand final day.

Last year we were much more disciplined and we were rewarded in spades.

I don't mind snaps from the pocket, that's fine. Kelly's handpass was just horseshit, mind you Stokes typically deciding to try and dodge the player instead of just kicking it didn't help. Johnson gave away ANOTHER 50 metre penalty because he apparently was the only person in the ground who didn't know it was a St.Kilda free kick. Selwood throws a guy to the ground off the ball. Just really poor discipline again.

Kelly can just be an out and out moron sometimes.

Our whole third quarter was embarrassing. If we serve that rubbish up in September we're not going to get very far.

That said, we should have been further in front at half time. We were 10 goals better than them in the first half but poor umpiring and poor kicking for goal cost us.

Re: Kelly. Possibly a moronic brain snap but maybe he isn't confident in kicking through the ball at the moment with the trouble he's had with injury this year?

Re: Kelly. Possibly a moronic brain snap but maybe he isn't confident in kicking through the ball at the moment with the trouble he's had with injury this year?

He was 20m out directly in front. If he's not confident taking that kick he shouldn't be out there.

It was a moronic brain snap. He does it from time to time.

Johnson was called to play on before he stepped off the line...as well as the obvious player within 5m.

Speaking of the 5m zone...Saad kept creeping past the players taking their kicks. I saw it about 3 times before he finally got pinged. Was irritating me all night.

He was 20m out directly in front. If he's not confident taking that kick he shouldn't be out there.

It was a moronic brain snap. He does it from time to time.

Fair call, though I wonder why someone would even contemplate giving up the ball when an opportunity to kick a goal from 20m out arises

Smacks a bit of the 2008 style where we would try to walk the ball into goal on every opportunity. And we all know how that ended when finally players weren't afforded that space on grand final day.

Last year we were much more disciplined and we were rewarded in spades.

Agreed.

There is unselfish and then there is stupid. I am all for guys passing when they have a teammate in clear space, or when they are on a tight angle. But you don't pass when you're 20m out straight in front. And when you have a set shot you take it, not flip the ball around by hand to flat footed teammates.

Hopefully Scotty adresses it during the week, as giving away opportunities costs you dearly.

The Kelly one was dreadful part of that awful1/4 where I think that we may have just been bored by St Kildas stop and prop game. But was pleased that for most of the night we did go back and kick for goal, none of that maddening moving it around in the forward 50 with short kicks and handballs which has been our style on recent years. Look at the Murdoch goal , akid goes back and bangs it through and Pods in the last 1/4 took on his man ran through him and goal!!!

Fair call, though I wonder why someone would even contemplate giving up the ball when an opportunity to kick a goal from 20m out arises

Stokes played a great game last night and Kelly shouldn't be let off the hook for such a poor decision, but I've got no doubt that Stokes would have called for it. You wouldn't even turn your head just because you saw a guy in the same jumper as you strolling past, but if you heard someone calling for the ball, you would look over to see what was on offer. So, Stokes shouldn't have called for the ball and Kelly definitely shouldn't have passed it to him. If you're within 40m on a set shot and the man on the mark is somewhere between the four posts, you should go back and kick the goal and your teammates shouldn't call for it in the same area.

As for the snaps ('J curve' is one of the lamest things I've ever heard; pretty sure Gerard Healy came up with that one, which is even more reason to ignore it) at goal, usually it comes off. I was screaming at Johnson's one last week, where he didn't make the distance with that one in the second quarter, but his miss this week looked like it was the umpire failing to monitor the protected zone. I'd like to see it again, but it looked like he took a step off his line and the St Kilda player was already there. Chapman missed one, but if he missed the shot from the same angle with a drop punt, no-one would say anything. I think the snaps are unfairly maligned to an extent and if they're putting them through the middle at the same, or a better, ratio as they would with a drop punt, they can go with whatever they feel most comfortable with, in my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back