Rules Interchange infringement wins Sydney the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Not reading the whole thread, so apologies I'd already mentioned, but wasn't there a Nth Swans game about ten years ago when one team had 19 on the field?
Also a game between us where one of our staff members died of a heart attack metres away from the bench.

Our games have a weird history with the interchange.

It was called at the next stoppage, which I believe is when they are told to call it (could be wrong). Other than for about 5 seconds when the ball was kicked to about 70m out, the last 50 seconds leading up to the free were played in North's defensive 50 so the free kick was always going to be taken on the goal line. It's not a conspiracy.
That's even stupider. So if the game finished without said stoppage would they have got a shot after the siren?

So the thought is that North have to undo the 76th interchange, because it wasn't a legal change, so Sheil had to go back on the ground. But I haven't seen an official source confirm that
It's covered in the AFL regulations - 12.9(c)(x)(A):
1684624664770.png
It was called at the next stoppage, which I believe is when they are told to call it (could be wrong). Other than for about 5 seconds when the ball was kicked to about 70m out, the last 50 seconds leading up to the free were played in North's defensive 50 so the free kick was always going to be taken on the goal line. It's not a conspiracy.
Not explicitly provided for anywhere that I can see. Procedures around a similar infringement (not going through the interchange area) say the field umpire should "stop play at the first available opportunity", but don't specify any timeframes for the steward to notify the field umpire, and there's nothing timing-related for the cap infringement specifically. As you say, hardly likely to make a difference yesterday (best case for North is the set shot is 20m out rather than in the square) - but very possible in theory for when the notification is given to materially affect where the free gets taken, which is a significant problem with the rule, especially given you can't call it straight away when there are some allowable excess interchanges you'd have to be sure it wasn't before calling it. And what if time has already been called seconds before it's notified? As I understand it, unless the umpire noticed a free kick/mark before play ended, there's no scope for restarting play - so do you just get away with it, apart from the fine?

Ugly enough having a game decided like this, even if all protocols were properly followed. But the rule as it stands is not at all well-designed, and needs serious tweaking.

To me there are 2 standout issues

1) why the * do north have to make an interchange at that time for a non hobbled player?? Play out the ******* game and leave that 1 interchange for someone cramping (like Shiels).

2) people do not know the rules. It’s why all fans whinging about umps every second of every match need to get a grip - I bet these fans don’t know a lot of the rules and procedures, and interpretations.

Another rule where the punishment is way over the top for the infringement.

That did not need to decide the game, just call the player back.
Yep just immediately send the runner out and get him off the field quickly.

Absolute joke that it decided a game and just makes people hate AFL as a product.

To me there are 2 standout issues

1) why the * do north have to make an interchange at that time for a non hobbled player?? Play out the ******* game and leave that 1 interchange for someone cramping (like Shiels).

2) people do not know the rules. It’s why all fans whinging about umps every second of every match need to get a grip - I bet these fans don’t know a lot of the rules and procedures, and interpretations.

Shiels was cramping with 2 minutes to go - I guess he didn't think he could run it out. Not sure if he benched himself or what the go was.

So why did they not pay the second free and 50 when you made the 77th interchange afterwards?
That's speculation
Officially the stats say 76/75

Punishment is to severe and not fitting
Just give teams at 20k fine and tell them to fix it.

Imagine a grand final decided like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's speculation
Officially the stats say 76/75

Punishment is to severe and not fitting
Just give teams at 20k fine and tell them to fix it.

Imagine a grand final decided like that.
It has to be in game. Perhapos not 50m, just a free and no reversal. The player who should not be on the field comes off, no replacement, play with 17. (No confusion over whether trying to reverse it results in the correct reversal or not as with the supposed "77th interchange")

I mean, personally, I would go with only subs and no interchange; but that's an entirely different argument.

What with a team making 77 interchanges while the other obeyed the rules and only took 75, won the game by 3 points and only got a $20,000 fine? What a stupid suggestion.

Oh yeah, that's real game changing getting in that extra rotation. Got to be a goal minimum hey! Look in the mirror and think before calling other peoples opinions stupid.

Mind boggles more then normal reading the general opinions.

Oh yeah, that's real game changing getting in that extra rotation.

Is this guy so dumb he's never seen a game of football? Given he claims to be a Saints supporter makes sense he wouldn't know this, St Kilda's always such a joke they never have had any player who's actually good and would make a difference by them being on the ground compared to being on the bench.

So I'm guessing if West Coast had Judd, Cousins, Kerr and Cox stuck on the bench for the last 5 minutes of the 2006 grand final it wouldn't have made any difference right?

What a complete moron.

Is this guy so dumb he's never seen a game of football? Given he claims to be a Saints supporter makes sense he wouldn't know this, St Kilda's always such a joke they never have had any player who's actually good and would make a difference by them being on the ground compared to being on the bench.

So I'm guessing if West Coast had Judd, Cousins, Kerr and Cox stuck on the bench for the last 5 minutes of the 2006 grand final it wouldn't have made any difference right?

What a complete moron.

Obviously had some $ on the margin?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back