Game Day Intra Club Practice Match @ Trevor Barker Beach Oval 5pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Went today with the aim of keeping a close eye on Acres and Ross. Both were quite easily inside the group of best ons.

Paddy had me chewing my finger nails, but his goal in the 3rd followed by his pivot and direct pass to set up another snag a minute later set me at ease.

I was interested watching Payne play a deep forward role for the yellow side in the first half. His work rate was second to none, but his kicking left a bit to be desired. I wouldn't mind seeing him have a run in the same position in some of the pre season matches though.

Nathan Wright seemed to rock up around half time in a sling wearing his civvies and with his missus in tow. He only hung around for around a quarter of an hour and seemed to leave the way he came. Not sure how much you can read into that, but the bloke I was having a yarn with and I found it pretty bamboozling.

Fantastic to have the footy back.

I'll write a more comprehensive post later but a few things:
Billings looked a class above and ready to explode.
Acres got a lot of lot which was pleasing.
Gresham looks composed and quick. Could fit in immediately.
Eli was good and skillful.
Thought Lee was the pick of the backs and deserves to play rd 1.
Paddy did some good things. Next step for him is to become a one grab player. He's clever though.
Hickey was fantastic. He looks so dangerous when he drifts fwd. I'd be surprised if he isnt in the team rd 1.
In general, apart from the first 5 minutes, the skills looked great and the boys are looking very fit. So pumped for rd 1 now.

#BeStKilda

Someone's been hit on or crossing Beach Rd. Hope everyone's ok out there.

:(

I spoke to the lady that got hit by the car on Beach Rd. She was sitting down on the nature strip and she said she was okay except for a sore shoulder. The ambos took her away as a precaution but it didn't look too serious as far as I could tell.

Also for everybody saying Acres kicking was average I'll say this once he plays 50 -75 afl games I would be certain it will improve. ATM he isn't always getting fully balanced to kick which I think is because his timing is off but once he's adjusted to AFL game speed he will be much more effective by foot but his hands are very very good

FF: Lonie, Bruce, Sinclair
HF: Billings, Roo, Weller
C: Webster, Dunstan, Joey
HB: Newnes, Goddard, Savage
FB: Roberton, Fisher, Dempster
FOLL: Longer, Steven, Armo
INT: Gresham, Geary, Acres, Hickey
EMG: Templeton, McCartin, Gilbert

This would the side I wouldn't mind seeing rd1 taking all things into account.

Yep with their high 50's pick, they got Sicily, who is on the verge of their side. Billy Hartung will play most games this year. Pretty win-win, but they got a ruckman which they desperately needed, so are probably just ahead. But if Acres kicks on like we hope, we should be ahead in the long term (y)

I reckon they upgraded Ceglar with our pick, which I think was 59?

FF: Lonie, Bruce, Sinclair
HF: Billings, Roo, Weller
C: Webster, Dunstan, Joey
HB: Newnes, Goddard, Savage
FB: Roberton, Fisher, Dempster
FOLL: Longer, Steven, Armo
INT: Gresham, Geary, Acres, Hickey
EMG: Templeton, McCartin, Gilbert

This would the side I wouldn't mind seeing rd1 taking all things into account.
Hmmk mccartin plays for me. As long as he displays all the team ethos and works himself into the ground everywhere then he plays. Key talls develop with games in the seniors and then they explode prime example is Josh Kennedy

Any news on the robbo injury? He was on crutches after the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NOK was good but based off performances of couglan today and the fact gresham would be first in line as a small midfielder i think we will use our rookie upgrade on Couglan. But thats just based off one hitout

I reckon they upgraded Ceglar with our pick, which I think was 59?
You could be correct. If so, they effectively didn't use that pick, which bodes well for us having the advantage in the trade. Was very much a win-win either way. And I fully expect Luke, Blake and Shane to be member of our next finals side (y)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back