Game Day Intra Club Practice Match @ Trevor Barker Beach Oval 5pm

Remove this Banner Ad

So going from what I saw today (obviously just my opinion) this is what I came away with:

GRESHAM: super impressive, could play round 1. Took a little bit to get into it but nothing negative about his game at all.

ROSS: got heaps of the ball, seems to find space and used it well 95% of time.

ACRES: I'd be surprised if he didn't have it the most out of anyone on the ground. Good in tight, heaps of clearances and a goal. Kicking still not great. Good to see him run the game out well when he went on the yellow side.

BILLINGS: all class. Had a lot of it and had it everywhere. Massive difference between him and Acres in terms of disposal.

WELLER: had plenty of the ball. He's super quick and goes in extremely hard. Couple of goals too. Started in the middle ended up forward.

CURREN: though he was excellent for the yellow side. Heaps of clearances and used it very well.

SINCLAIR: again very good for the yellow team. Only fumbled a couple of times but recovered and used it well.

LONIE: typical Jack. Quick, hard and finished with 4 goals.

GILBERT: played mostly through the middle and found plenty of it, used it really well too. Would be such a bonus if he could play through the middle and play well.

RUCKS: Hickey easily played the best, took 2 towering marks inside 50 but for the life of me can't work out why they weren't paid. Pierce actually beat Holmes in the centre hit outs. Neither had any influence around the ground though.

PADDY: slow to start, but worked into it. Seems to be running a lot more this year. Gets into great areas and is very smart (brilliant play when boxed into he pocket and snapped it to Bruce). Needs to one grab his marks more. Huge kid.

BRUCE: works so hard, just runs and runs. Kicked a couple and got more of the ball when playing CHF. Generally pretty quite though.

ELI: really liked from what I saw, got a lot more of the ball than he normally does. Kept running, went in hard and generally used it really well. Was lined up on Saunders most of the game and had him covered quite easily.

NEWNES: really strong game. Didn't stand out because this is what ive come to expect now. Used it well, covered distance and ran fast. Kicked a goal and also played off half back.

MCKENZIE: had put on zero weight, but that doesn't stop him. Goes really hard at the ball and man and my God is he quick. Kicked a couple nice goals.

SAUNDERS: tried hard, that's about

WHITE: couple of nice things. Didn't shy away from any contests. VFL year for him though.

SAVAGE: typical Sav, huge goal from outside 50 and heaps of run off the half back line.

WEBSTER: really throws himself into it. Used it well. Love his style.

O'KEARNEY: saw a few posters say they didn't notice him but I did. Had to keep checking the team sheet to see who it was. Thought he was very composed and didn't miss a target. Very slight but once he builds his frame he'll be a good one.

COUGHLAN: played really well. Tried to run with Bruce most of the game and had the better of him most contests. Pretty calm disposal coming out of defence a couple times too. I was pretty impressed.

GODDARD: competed well, didn't find much of the ball at all though. Was directing the youngsters when Lee went to the red team which was good to see.

MINCH: had a bit of it. Didn't do a lot I thought without having a bad game.

DEMPSTER: typical Dempster. Very solid.

Think I covered most players. I positioned myself at various spots to try get a good look at everyone. Other people would have different views but this is how I saw it.
Overall I was pretty impressed. They all looked very hungry and after the 1st part of the match the skills improved dramatically.
Standouts were quite comfortably Gresham, Acres & Ross.

Thought Shenton actually played his role very well, might have found a niche .
Still early days for round 1 for me, lots of spots up for grabs all over ground.

Most has been covered but I find it extraordinary how vastly different peoples perpective of games are. My first message would be dont expect significant improvement this year!

Secondly I thought Hickey was very poor and showed nothing to suggest he will
sucessfully fill the 2nd ruck role. I have seen mentioned his towering marks up forward both were 2 or 3 touch grabs against much smaller opponents. Very non convincing IMO.

I would update Holmes tomorrow and play him in front of Hickey as his rucking is far superior and he offers more energy to the team shows more effort around the ground.

An early call but I doubt Hickey will be with the Saints next year! They will trade him and chase a 2nd rounder to fill the hole.

Other major list concerns were Leiws Pierce he simply wont make it, he gives nothing in the ruck snd is hopeless around the ground. His last year I hope. Murdoch, Saunders and Delaney are another 3 who wont be at the club next year.

I cant believe how much Delaney has regressed, he doesnt look interested, has lost his aggressive edge and Paddy and Bruce made him look very ordinary.

Payne & Coughlan very thin and I have concerns they have the frames to become big enough to have an impact?

I reckon Murdoch doesnt have the ticker or the drive to make it. Plays lazy and allows his opponent to be first to the ball always.

Saunders tries hard but absolutely no where near AFL standard.

Our defenders will be slaughtered again this year against the bigger forward lines.

My biggest downer was the whole squads inability to hit a forward target after winning a centre clearance. Some of the decision making and execution moving free of traffic through the centre by Ross, Curren, Acres and Gilbert was second rate, still a major weakness in our gamea.

But there were lots of posiitives - Paddy, Billings, Lonie, Sinclair, Gresham, White will all be a stars.
Paddy & Bruce already have a nice understanding and will become a force.,
Holmes will make it and forge ahead of Hickey this year.
Lee showed plenty down back if he can stay on the park will be a better option down back than Goddard this year.
Weller is our modern day Stevie Baker as hard as nails.
The support crews of Templeton, Micnhington, Acres are solid and will continue to improve.

The running link plays through the centre have improved but still not top standard.

No noticeable changes in game style but went backwards/sideways a couple of times when they had momentum and should have taken
the game on through the centre/wing.

Ghost and I Told you blokes Acres and Billings were heading to the next level

Never doubted you for a minute :p but very exciting to see for ourselves too!

Thought Shenton actually played his role very well, might have found a niche .
Still early days for round 1 for me, lots of spots up for grabs all over ground.
Sorry forgot Shenton. He played pretty well, seemed to suit the forward line better. He's too much of a liability down back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's important to remember this is his second year, he only played a handful of games last year and won't reach his potential for a long time yet.

Nick Riewoldt was the biggest waste of a draft pick (in my opinion) for his first few years. I couldn't stand watching him get near the ball in the first couple of years. Look at him now. Potentially the greatest Saint of all time.
Maybe I was totally wrong watching him. I know my dad liked what he saw, but I just saw the fumbles and the errors and wondered what was up?

I wouldn't be concerned about Paddy just yet. I don't expect him to light the world on fire this year. I don't even expect him to impress anyone in the media.
I saw Roo play his first game and I was wrapped.

Sounds about right.
Shame. Hickey v GWS 2014 was AMAZING! Looked like a gun and was going to be a star!! What happened!?!

Yes agree on the players that wont be there next year. No suprises. Bgrade.

Fantastic about white and gresham! I reckon we nailed the draft AGAIN!

And grwat if LEE could play back he is a nice kick and tall but does he have the mongrel?

We need ruckman, some speedsters and another gun or two kpp. Pretty good to think where we were in 2013.

2019 flag is ours.

Most has been covered but I find it extraordinary how vastly different peoples perpective of games are. My first message would be dont expect significant improvement this year!

sucessfully fill the 2nd ruck role. I have seen mentioned his towering marks up forward both were 2 or 3 touch grabs against much smaller opponents. Very non convincing IMO.

I would update Holmes tomorrow and play him in front of Hickey as his rucking is far superior and he offers more energy to the team shows more effort around the ground.

An early call but I doubt Hickey will be with the Saints next year! They will trade him and chase a 2nd rounder to fill the hole.
I'm sorry and I don't mean to be rude but what the hell were you watching?
Hickey dominated the ruck. Gave Ross & Acres first use of the ball far more often than Holmes/Pierce did.
He kicked a goal and I don't know where you get he took marks against 'much smaller' opponents when he took those marks against Goddard, Bruce, Paddy & Lee (see photos for evidence). Not to mention he got away from his opponents and took some nice marks on the lead.
Pierce was ruck for the whole 2nd quarter and didn't do much, and Holmes was forward and did literally nothing. To be honest Holmes laid one tackle and was sitting out the back by himself and took an uncontested mark in the 3rd and that was it. To suggest he offers more around the ground is ludicrous.
I'd suggest you have a look at the replay on Monday.

Ca_u0keUUAEiW4X.jpg:large

Is Andrew Thompson wearing a purple checked shirt?
Hang on a sec, David is just coming up with an answer to your question

Hickey dominated the ruck. Gave Ross & Acres first use of the ball far more often than Holmes/Pierce did.
He kicked a goal and I don't know where you get he took marks against 'much smaller' opponents when he took those marks against Goddard, Bruce, Paddy & Lee (see photos for evidence). Not to mention he got away from his opponents and took some nice marks on the lead.
Pierce was ruck for the whole 2nd quarter and didn't do much, and Holmes was forward and did literally nothing. To be honest Holmes laid one tackle and was sitting out the back by himself and took an uncontested mark in the 3rd and that was it. To suggest he offers more around the ground is ludicrous.
Don't worry mate a lot of his posts I've noticed are rubbish

Don't worry mate a lot of his posts I've noticed are rubbish
Apart from the opinion to reshuffle our ruck stocks I feel the post in question actually managed to hit the nail on the head in terms of an honest list appraisal.
Granted the players that were put under the microscope were nobody we hadn't read or written about being in that position before this evenings game.

Par for the course. I often wonder how he comes to his conclusions. It's pretty bizarre.

Very excited to hear 3 out of the 4 2013 crop doing so well this arvo.

Billings will be a star by the end of this season

Great to hear Acres has worked his arse of through the pre season and finding the footy

Eli Templeton may be one to go under the radar though, sounds like he's put on a bit of beef which needed to happen and found a fair bit of the footy I'm told? I think he might surprise a few this year after he struggled in 2014 (after a terrible injury)

Can't wait to see Dunstan back in action.

#BeStKilda

People have short memories.

I know it was 3 years ago but Lee's backend to 2013 showed he could play at the highest level.

Obviously that was playing forward but Bruce & McCartin will do that.

I'm backing him in to be the Fisher/Dempster replacement.
Good point, I just yesterday watched our last game of the season you mentioned and Lee really puffed his chest, it was good to watch. Admittedly the dockers played a sub par posse.... But still,
Getem leeroy. I for one still think he has something

Other major list concerns were Leiws Pierce he simply wont make it, he gives nothing in the ruck snd is hopeless around the ground. His last year I hope. Murdoch, Saunders and Delaney are another 3 who wont be at the club next year.

I cant believe how much Delaney has regressed, he doesnt look interested, has lost his aggressive edge and Paddy and Bruce made him look very ordinary.

Payne & Coughlan very thin and I have concerns they have the frames to become big enough to have an impact?

I reckon Murdoch doesnt have the ticker or the drive to make it. Plays lazy and allows his opponent to be first to the ball always.

Saunders tries hard but absolutely no where near AFL standard.

Our defenders will be slaughtered again this year against the bigger forward lines.

My biggest downer was the whole squads inability to hit a forward target after winning a centre clearance. Some of the decision making and execution moving free of traffic through the centre by Ross, Curren, Acres and Gilbert was second rate, still a major weakness in our gamea.

But there were lots of posiitives - Paddy, Billings, Lonie, Sinclair, Gresham, White will all be a stars.
Paddy & Bruce already have a nice understanding and will become a force.,
Holmes will make it and forge ahead of Hickey this year.
Lee showed plenty down back if he can stay on the park will be a better option down back than Goddard this year.
Weller is our modern day Stevie Baker as hard as nails.
The support crews of Templeton, Micnhington, Acres are solid and will continue to improve.

The running link plays through the centre have improved but still not top standard.

No noticeable changes in game style but went backwards/sideways a couple of times when they had momentum and should have taken
the game on through the centre/wing.
Just on your 2nd paragraph winners, how do you think Holmes would go as our second ruck, considering he doesn't do a lot besides winning the hit outs?

On your first paragraph, it depend on how you look at it. If you are looking at ladder position then you may be correct. But if you are looking at improvement of the younger guys I think you are way off the mark. As I said earlier, I'm expecting the 2013 crop to come on leaps and bounds this year, as well as Seb Ross and Jack Sinclair. We will definitely be a different team to watch IMO, I think this year will be the start of the changing of the guard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back