General Bombers Talk More talk of changing the logo. Post your thoughts here.

What should we do with the logo?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Letter from the President: Brand research project​

President Dave Barham provides an update on the club's brand research project.
By essendonfc.com.au - 1 hr ago

To all our Fans and Members,

The Essendon Football Club has a proud history as one of the oldest clubs in the AFL and we have a strong recognisable brand.

We are conducting a preliminary research project which centres around the Essendon brand and its elements.

The research project is in its early phase. Members and supporters have been and will continue to be canvassed as part of this process, in addition to the engagement of multiple Essendon Football Club stakeholders.

We have a proud history of more than 150 years and a deep connection to our members and supporters. This is and will always be respected and embraced.

There is no immediate action to change the club logo or any elements of the club brand. This is a longer-term project with significant work to be completed.

We proudly recognise that our future legacy begins with our proud history.

We will always be called the Bombers.

- Dave Barham

images

We should go with this until we make back to back finals series.

that's getting there, isn't it?

Obviously need to lose the crown though. What could we replace that with that wouldn't be naff?

A footy? No way, naff.
Southern Cross? Naff. Plus cliched now with Melbourne
Australian flag? Nah, naff.

Ideas?

Was just thinking about this very thing- how to incorporate the 'EFC' symbol into a new logo. Replacing the crown with that would be a go maybe? To be honest, after all this s**t is done and dusted (hopefully soon ASADA, you incompetent campaigners!) that a new club logo could represent a fresh start for the club as a whole.

I've seen all the designs people have made regarding a new logo and there is not one I like.

I think you should stick with the one you have, its honestly the best of the lot from what I've seen...

I've seen all the designs people have made regarding a new logo and there is not one I like.

I think you should stick with the one you have, its honestly the best of the lot from what I've seen...
We've also had it since 1997, though.

It's a bit old and tired. I preferred the 1980-1996 logo in any case.

I'd like one incorporating the EFC monogram.

Agreed. World over I don't think I have seen a 'jet' sports logo done as well as we have atm. Which isn't saying much because I'm not a huge fan of what we have.

Back to the original monogram for me.

2yBl8.jpg

Needs to change the current logo is tarnished with a syringe.
In the eyes of 12 year olds, maybe. And I don't mean that as a go at you.

But seriously, if we change our logo, it should be because we can do better and because we've decided that the old one is stale. This rubbish about pandering to the lowest common denominator and changing it because it has a vague likeness to a needle is absolute horse s**t.

But seriously, if we change our logo, it'll should be because we can do better and that the old one is stale. This rubbish about pandering to the lowest common denominator and changing it because it has a vague likeness to a needle is absolute horse s**t.

All good like you i think it's gone stale too.

But seriously, if we change our logo, it should be because we can do better and because we've decided that the old one is stale. This rubbish about pandering to the lowest common denominator and changing it because it has a vague likeness to a needle is absolute horse s**t.

it does have that though, I wouldn't be at all opposed to a rebranding at all as long as it's done well, considering that logo has been in a lot of papers over the last 18 months and for the wrong reasons.

I also think it looks slightly dated in any event

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. World over I don't think I have seen a 'jet' sports logo done as well as we have atm. Which isn't saying much because I'm not a huge fan of what we have.

Back to the original monogram for me.

2yBl8.jpg
Yeah, this. But framed with a set of bird wings and a couple of planes flying out from the bottom.

It's actually the one thing I'd happily follow Melbourne with. They had a cartoon-like logo, like Essendon, brought in the monogram and used a simple element of their mascot (the pitchfork) in e new-look logo. It came up very well.

Yeah this current logo needs to go to be honest. Not only does it look outdated, it has been the face of this whole scandal. Need to rebrand after this whole thing is done and dusted.

I don't think planes make very good logos. The one thing I don't want to see is a cartoon plane. We should go with a shield and a monogram. Simple, but recognisable. The Brisbane Bombers logo is very good so there is some hope.

Collingwood and Melbourne are the standouts IMO and I think we have the colours to match them. Red and black is the best colour combination in a sporting team. So many things you can do with it. I don't think the club however is using it to its potential and certainly not with the current logo.

Many of the EPL teams have made logos that are not only recognisable, but dare I say it, professional. I think many of the AFL clubs fail to realise this aspect of designing a logo. These cartoons should be the mascots for children instead of professional logos. Most of the clubs that recently changed their logos opted for a cartoon logo. North Melbourne, Geelong, Richmond, Hawthorn, Adelaide, Gold Coast and Brisbane. While most of them are good, it doesn't give it that sense of professionalism. Collingwood, Melbourne, Sydney, Fremantle, West Coast and GWS IMO went for the professional route and I think that is what we should be doing as well. I don't think these teams would need to change their logos at all. On the contrary, I can see most of the other teams that I mentioned needing a logo change in a couple of decades.

I just don't want to see a toy plane or a cartoon man on our logo.

The logo isn't bad enough for them to risk creating some horrible monstrosity imo. Never really understood the issues with the logo, but I wouldn't be against changing it if they made something worthy of it... which I doubt would happen.

I think there's definitely an argument that it needs to go based on it 'being the face' of the drugs s**t.

But as stated I have no time for any argument about it going because it looks like a needle. That's just juvenile.

How about a combination of the old 1980-96 shield and the EFC monogram?

I have thought over the last few years your essendon writing font is 90s. something like that airforce plane imposed over the sash looks good on the previous page

It's actually the one thing I'd happily follow Melbourne with. They had a cartoon-like logo, like Essendon, brought in the monogram and used a simple element of their mascot (the pitchfork) in e new-look logo. It came up very well.
The Demons' old logo looked great and their new one is shocking in my opinion. I'm not totally averse to using an old school logo, but I'd hate for it to look as tacky as Melbourne's.

Back