General Bombers Talk More talk of changing the logo. Post your thoughts here.

What should we do with the logo?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Letter from the President: Brand research project​

President Dave Barham provides an update on the club's brand research project.
By essendonfc.com.au - 1 hr ago

To all our Fans and Members,

The Essendon Football Club has a proud history as one of the oldest clubs in the AFL and we have a strong recognisable brand.

We are conducting a preliminary research project which centres around the Essendon brand and its elements.

The research project is in its early phase. Members and supporters have been and will continue to be canvassed as part of this process, in addition to the engagement of multiple Essendon Football Club stakeholders.

We have a proud history of more than 150 years and a deep connection to our members and supporters. This is and will always be respected and embraced.

There is no immediate action to change the club logo or any elements of the club brand. This is a longer-term project with significant work to be completed.

We proudly recognise that our future legacy begins with our proud history.

We will always be called the Bombers.

- Dave Barham

I don't really see the need for rules like that to dictate what our logo should look like. When North did their logo redesign they got the fans to say what needed to be included and they ended up with a pretty average logo. When it comes to our new logo I don't have a solid idea of what it should look like but I'd hope the designers get to do what they think is best (providing they're good designers) instead of following set rules that restricts them.

I actually feel like America has the best philosophy with their sports logos where they just use a recognisable symbol (similar to what GWS did) or a stylised mascot without any text or a badge or shield. It tends to look a lot nicer on merch.
I feel like our current logo looks a lot better when it's just the plane without the badge.
View attachment 62137

Yup, our plan is fine as is.

The font is the bit that is really outdated.

Just got the Flight News email and thought that this could have potential as a new logo with "Essendon" or "EFC" replacing "Flight".
Flight News Logo.png

If it ain't broke don't fix it. The current bombers logo is perfectly fine as it is. Changing it at this point would be a silly idea since it's been around for nearly 20 years and is attached to countless numbers of merchandise.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. The current bombers logo is perfectly fine as it is. Changing it at this point would be a silly idea since it's been around for nearly 20 years and is attached to countless numbers of merchandise.
That's not how merchandise works. Hell, I've seen people discuss in here wether to buy new jumpers because the sponsors changed

That's not how merchandise works. Hell, I've seen people discuss in here wether to buy new jumpers because the sponsors changed
Yep, like clockwork.

I really do think there's a fair argument to be made to change the logo based on its association with the drugs saga. Not because of the herp derp rubbish of it looking like a needle, but simply because of brand association.

And, I think it's a bit tired.

As said I'd love to see the EFC monogram incorporated, although I'm not too confident it will happen.

Agreed that from a timing point of view, it would be a prefect time for a refresh to disassociate ourselves from the saga. That, plus imo it needs a refresh anyway.

I'd love to see something involving the monogram, something more professional and timeless.

I wish I was a man child so I never had to throw out my wool Nubrik jumper I got around 1988. Sadly I grew rapidly from a little scrawny 12 year old to a 6' 4" 16 year old so it got consigned to the bin. I reckon I wore it to footy training for about 1 season too long, I could barely get the thing on or off by myself near the end.

I love seeing the old retro jumpers in the crowd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just bought my Essendon guernsey from K-Mart around three years ago.

The plus with buying it from K-Mart is, the logos aren't watermarked, they're just stitched on. Meant I could just rip the AFL logo off easily last year. :thumbsu:

I don't like our monogram.
13598859981626975844.GIF

Just kidding. I can't say it does much for me either.

Wan't the logo changed,the current logo is tarnished for ever with a syringe not only that it's also out dated.
For goodness sake, it is not a syringe.

It's the sort of herp derp comment I'd expect a 12 year old to come up with. Not a shot at you there, but rather at anyone who seriously states we should change because it looks like a syringe.

The outdated bit, yes, I can agree with that.

Back