Is our future bright?

Remove this Banner Ad

I do, and that allows me to sleep at night:p

We will view it in hindsight as Boyd vs the opportunity of picking Peter Wright (as a similar comparison to Boyd) at 6 or 7 plus one of Ahern or Marchbank as the cards eventually fell then still having $1m in the bank to secure a FA in 2 years time

There will be no middle ground, Boyd will need to be an out and out champion for the Club or it is a failed gamble

I admire your optimism and hope your right, but I think these assessements are a tad generous.

7)Roughead 200cm backman who can swing forward or even ruck in the future upside massive - yet to show he can play as an effective forward
8)Wallis is a 186 strong bodied midfielder who can also tag if needed will be our next captain - poor disposal and his development has stangnated
11)Talia is a 194cm CHB has everything a CHB needs to succeed and could be better than his brother - horrible disposal, nowhere near as developed as his brother at the same stage
13)Stevens is your perfect fix it guy back forward or in the middle good skills and hard at it - good skills is very arguable
16) JJ is our running backman who delivers lace out - very incoinsistent foot skills

I admire your optimism and hope your right, but I think these assessements are a tad generous.

7)Roughead 200cm backman who can swing forward or even ruck in the future upside massive - yet to show he can play as an effective forward
8)Wallis is a 186 strong bodied midfielder who can also tag if needed will be our next captain - poor disposal and his development has stangnated
11)Talia is a 194cm CHB has everything a CHB needs to succeed and could be better than his brother - horrible disposal, nowhere near as developed as his brother at the same stage
13)Stevens is your perfect fix it guy back forward or in the middle good skills and hard at it - good skills is very arguable
16) JJ is our running backman who delivers lace out - very incoinsistent foot skills

OK i disagree Roughead has show amazing promise and would pick him over our last few full backs Campbell and Croft????
Wallis had fantastic skills went at 87% in his last year of TAC 2nd best ever???? he has been tagging and rushed with his disposal.
Talia has shown more in his games than his brother averg over 14 disposals his brother 7 :) facts he just had a coach who disliked him.
Stevens snap goals and strong handballs whilst in traffic.
JJ has got good disposal champ.

So please stop with this glass half full crap come on get on board....

OK i disagree Roughead has show amazing promise and would pick him over our last few full backs Campbell and Croft???? As would I - but what i said is he has shown little as a forward which is true. You seem to have missed the full back between Croft and Roughead.

Wallis had fantastic skills went at 87% in his last year of TAC 2nd best ever???? he has been tagging and rushed with his disposal. TAC Cup disposal efficiency is a completely different kettle of fish to AFL. I love Mitch and think he will be a good player but his disposal as it stands is not damaging

Talia has shown more in his games than his brother averg over 14 disposals his brother 7 :) facts he just had a coach who disliked him. If you seriously think because Michael gets more of the ball then Daniel that he has shown more I don't know what to say. Do you watch other teams play? Daniel just won a best and fareist in his fourth year - you really think Michael will match that in his fourth?????

Stevens snap goals and strong handballs whilst in traffic. He does - he also however has some shocking turnovers and his decision making lets him down. Again I think he is a decent player but his skills are mid range at best

JJ has got good disposal champ. - its not bad, not fantastic

So please stop with this glass half full crap come on get on board.... - I am on board, I have been a member for the last 23 years. I'm not negative, look at my posting history but I'm also not delusional.

I'll respect that you have your opinion but it really staggers me how people can think this.

I just cannot fathom how people see us winning ten games.

Really frustrates me people talking down the contributions of Griffen Cooney Higgins and even jones.

Like it or not jones was instrumental in our wins and imo we looked crap without him in the side over the last three months.

I ask you to watch the highlights packages from 2014 - of al the match highlights I've been watching in our wins Griffen Cooney Higgins jones and even gia play pretty key roles.

I understand it's human nature to lash out at defectors who turned their backs on offers from the club but in reality the guys who left provided great experience and talent in games we won last year.

The one game I will concede gives me encouragement is the Suns games but I have reservations over the side we played against that day without a couple of stars and run down

1st September 2014 we will know - I think winning the VFL Premiership shows we have a pool of talent outside the first 22

It's no
For one year. It's illegal for us to pay any of his next GWS contract, same as how we're only paying 200k for Tom Boyd next year.

It's not the same at all - we are paying ALL of boyds salary and its capped at 200k because that is the afl rules for first and second year players - they are capped at a fixed scale dependant on a few factors.

Is paying Griffen has absolutely no relevance or similarities to us paying Griffen while he is at gws.

1st September 2014 we will know - I think winning the VFL Premiership shows we have a pool of talent outside the first 22

Or... It tells us we have a lot of players around a similar level who just were not able to make a jump at afl level .... As u say time will tell.

I'll be the first to say I was wrong and will be happy to. Fair to say it's wont be coming the other way when we finish bottom 3.

OK i disagree Roughead has show amazing promise and would pick him over our last few full backs Campbell and Croft???? As would I - but what i said is he has shown little as a forward which is true. You seem to have missed the full back between Croft and Roughead.

Wallis had fantastic skills went at 87% in his last year of TAC 2nd best ever???? he has been tagging and rushed with his disposal. TAC Cup disposal efficiency is a completely different kettle of fish to AFL. I love Mitch and think he will be a good player but his disposal as it stands is not damaging

Talia has shown more in his games than his brother averg over 14 disposals his brother 7 :) facts he just had a coach who disliked him. If you seriously think because Michael gets more of the ball then Daniel that he has shown more I don't know what to say. Do you watch other teams play? Daniel just won a best and fareist in his fourth year - you really think Michael will match that in his fourth?????

Stevens snap goals and strong handballs whilst in traffic. He does - he also however has some shocking turnovers and his decision making lets him down. Again I think he is a decent player but his skills are mid range at best

JJ has got good disposal champ. - its not bad, not fantastic

So please stop with this glass half full crap come on get on board.... - I am on board, I have been a member for the last 23 years. I'm not negative, look at my posting history but I'm also not delusional.

Brilliant !!

I'm not negative, look at my posting history but I'm also not delusional.

This part. I totally agree that there are extremes in posting. Blindly optimistic at one end and then heinous stick in the mud at the other.

Or... It tells us we have a lot of players around a similar level who just were not able to make a jump at afl level .... As u say time will tell.

I'll be the first to say I was wrong and will be happy to. Fair to say it's wont be coming the other way when we finish bottom 3.

You are consistently negative. I understand it is annoying to read hopelessly positive posts by people all the time but it doesn't mean you can't be balanced with your posts.

N
Is Our Future Bright

I for one have barracked and had my heart broken buy my beloved football team.
97 when Libba kicked that goal not allowed .....
2011 when Roo got those shocking free kicks :-(

both those teams we had some champions playing Grant,West,Libba,Smith,Johnson etc...

Now lets look at what we have now...

1)Stringer a 193cm power forward who will work through the middle
2)Bonti a 194cm onballer who can play forward or even back
3)Boyd a 201cm giant who will dominate opposition players and prove the difference in big finals
4)McCrae a 193 wingman who has poise and smarts can go forward or back
5)Libba a 185 strong inside midfielder who does not get injured is the general at 22 so at 26 ???
6)Dalhouse small forward who changes games in minutes will move through the midfield and will win big games
7)Roughead 200cm backman who can swing forward or even ruck in the future upside massive
8)Wallis is a 186 strong bodied midfielder who can also tag if needed will be our next captain
9)Hunter is our wildcard just doesn't loose a 1 on 1 and has built a massive tank
10)Wood is a shut down HB who will lead a backline from the front under rated by other clubs
11)Talia is a 194cm CHB has everything a CHB needs to succeed and could be better than his brother
12)Smith will be back even better strong at it makes any side better
13)Stevens is your perfect fix it guy back forward or in the middle good skills and hard at it
14Hrovatt is a running machine who loves to move the ball on fast goes at 86% eff just what a good side needs
15)Campbell is the one we all forget would be playing if not for a strong Minson only 23 so 7 great years to come
16) JJ is our running backman who delivers lace out

As for our new boys lets wait and see.

So if you didn't think we had a future read it again!!!!!!!

This group is a good as I have ever seen get on board now not in 3 years.
o
Is Our Future Bright

I for one have barracked and had my heart broken buy my beloved football team.
97 when Libba kicked that goal not allowed .....
2011 when Roo got those shocking free kicks :-(

both those teams we had some champions playing Grant,West,Libba,Smith,Johnson etc...

Now lets look at what we have now...

1)Stringer a 193cm power forward who will work through the middle
2)Bonti a 194cm onballer who can play forward or even back
3)Boyd a 201cm giant who will dominate opposition players and prove the difference in big finals
4)McCrae a 193 wingman who has poise and smarts can go forward or back
5)Libba a 185 strong inside midfielder who does not get injured is the general at 22 so at 26 ???
6)Dalhouse small forward who changes games in minutes will move through the midfield and will win big games
7)Roughead 200cm backman who can swing forward or even ruck in the future upside massive
8)Wallis is a 186 strong bodied midfielder who can also tag if needed will be our next captain
9)Hunter is our wildcard just doesn't loose a 1 on 1 and has built a massive tank
10)Wood is a shut down HB who will lead a backline from the front under rated by other clubs
11)Talia is a 194cm CHB has everything a CHB needs to succeed and could be better than his brother
12)Smith will be back even better strong at it makes any side better
13)Stevens is your perfect fix it guy back forward or in the middle good skills and hard at it
14Hrovatt is a running machine who loves to move the ball on fast goes at 86% eff just what a good side needs
15)Campbell is the one we all forget would be playing if not for a strong Minson only 23 so 7 great years to come
16) JJ is our running backman who delivers lace out

As for our new boys lets wait and see.

So if you didn't think we had a future read it again!!!!!!!

This group is a good as I have ever seen get on board now not in 3 years.
Now thats a positive post... great post, with the new recruits (outside run and ball skills) we are looking more like the Hawks when they were building. Looking forward to some very exciting years for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are consistently negative. I understand it is annoying to read hopelessly positive posts by people all the time but it doesn't mean you can't be balanced with your posts.

Don't worry I'm balanced and not delusional. When I'm wrong about something then have a crack at me.

We all just have different levels of acceptance. I'm positive about the future but I personally do not see a top 4 side without some extra talent coming on board the next two years and without a top 4 finish we don't win a flag.

I'm not going to sit around and overrate our players and player group for the sake of being positive !

That being said Unless you have had your head in the sand we have had three pretty ordinary seasons, a captain walk, coach sacked and are looking down the barrel of a bottom 3 finish. There hasn't been much to be positive about let's be honest !

How e

How exactly have they bought the lemon when we are paying most of his salary !?
It's funny how differently we all feel about this.
Paying Griffens salary for a year is the least concerning part of the deal to me.

It is money we had already budgeted on paying Griffen next year anyway- we essentially just used something we had an excess of (cap space) to help get something we wanted (Tom Boyd).

I know some people have suggested that we should have used the cap to front load our young guns contracts but thanks to RG we simply did not have time to s**t let alone renegotiate with a bunch of player agents.

We would not have been able to meet the minimum cap amount without the Griffen payment.

All things considered- I say well played.

It's funny how differently we all feel about this.
Paying Griffens salary for a year is the least concerning part of the deal to me.

It is money we had already budgeted on paying Griffen next year anyway- we essentially just used something we had an excess of (cap space) to help get something we wanted (Tom Boyd).

I know some people have suggested that we should have used the cap to front load our young guns contracts but thanks to RG we simply did not have time to s**t let alone renegotiate with a bunch of player agents.

We would not have been able to meet the minimum cap amount without the Griffen payment.

All things considered- I say well played.

U have me wrong - I was just explaining : correcting another poster who suggested we were only paying part of boyds wage like he's were only paying part of Griffins.

I believe like u do.

U have me wrong - I was just explaining : correcting another poster who suggested we were only paying part of boyds wage like he's were only paying part of Griffins.

I believe like u do.
I stand corrected.

It is a view that I have seen expressed on here a few times though.

On the salary cap issue- my mind boggles trying figure out where St.Kilda's cap goes. Savage? Ray? Hickey? Lee??
Outside of Roo, Montagna & Steven there are some very over-payed players at the Saints.

I stand corrected.

On the salary cap issue- my mind boggles trying figure out where St.Kilda's cap goes. Savage? Ray? Hickey? Lee??
Outside of Roo, Montagna & Steven there are some very over-payed players at the Saints.

That's why they haven't declared any veterans for next year so they can reach the 95% threshold

I strongly believe our vfl side has boost our future
fact that our players are playing our game style and in their positions with also winning games and a flag this year.
that will create a winning culture that will push the afl guys even more

Yeh
I stand corrected.

Yeh the mind does wonder ! Some seriously front ended contacts there.

I did some numbers a few months back and believe we could we'll be paying Boyd less than 700k a year over the last 4 years of his contract if we front end it like id expect - we do that and there is plenty to go around to the other young guns when the time comes.

fact that our players are playing our game style and in their positions with also winning games and a flag this year.
I agree, the VFL side was an unmitigated success. Now we just need the rest of the club to follow suit.

That's why they haven't declared any veterans for next year so they can reach the 95% threshold
Did anyone read the list management strategy they put out during the year? They must be going incredibly hard for some established players. When Riewoldt & Montagna retire they are boned.

If we are really going to move forward to a brighter future. The first thing we need to do is stop deluding ourselves, and making more out of our achievements than is really there.

]Yes, our VFL side won the flag. Great, but let's add a bit of perspective. We beat Hawthorn's VFL affiliate team by a small margin despite the fact that they were both resting and nursing some key players for the AFL grand final. We on the other hand were able to have a few players in there that should have been playing in our AFL side had we been good enough to be playing at that time of year. Furthermore some of the key players in that victory have already left the club.

To top things off, for those members of the VFL flag team that are still around and hopefully have the ability to play in the AFL side, playing our so called 'game style' from last year will probably be considered a negative rather than a positive, because a) it was terrible and b) we now have a new coach who will hopefully change the way we play.

Let's stop being so thankful about the glass being half full and talking about how nice the liquid in the glass is, and start focus on filling it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back