Is our future bright?

Remove this Banner Ad

So you would be comfortable if we picked up a number one draft pick and
he broke contract after one year to go home because another club came
up with a deal that was too good to be true. Your spiderman mask has
twisted obscuring your vision somewhat.
Tom Boyd- 9 games 55 touches 23 marks 8 goals 3 behinds.
Joe Daniher- 21 games 237 touches 28 goals 20 behinds.
I wonder if Joe is being upgraded to the penthouse suite?
I am happy to get Tom Boyd and hope now that he has come to a club
with little competition for the key forwards he can feel more at ease with
his position in the best twenty two and play some quality football in time.
I am still in therapy over the off-season and my therapist says i must
stop typing now as my common sense is tingling.
Firstly, that isn't a spiderman mask. Secondly, don't use my sig against me and especially don't use it incorrectly. And thirdly, I said it wasn't unreasonable for a kid to be homesick, we just gave him an out. SI was saying that a situation such as Ward's was far harder to take than say Harbrow's. At no stage did either of us say that we'd be comfortable or happy for a player to leave in similar circumstances to Boyd, just that it'd be more understandable than if it was soley about the money.

Next time actually read the posts before popping off, it would save us both the time and energy.
Apologies, was not trying to be rude or popping off as you say i thought
i tried to use humor .There is a fair degree of ownership with the players
and hurt when they leave, i was just saying that works both ways.Once
again apologies.

Apologies, was not trying to be rude or popping off as you say i thought
i tried to use humor .There is a fair degree of ownership with the players
and hurt when they leave, i was just saying that works both ways.Once
again apologies.
All good mate, no apology necessary. You make a good point about ownership of the players.

Our future is pretty much dependent on Boyd. Thats the simple reality. It was a massive gamble to give up 3 top ten draft picks (which we would have ended up with) and put a rookie on a long term million dollar contract.

If he turns out at least Jono Brown good, we clearly are going to be ok. The others i.e. Bonts, Stringer, Macrae, Dahl, Hunter etc will stay for less then market value because we will be successful.

If boyd turms out to be say Kosi like, then we are in for many years of low table finishes, innuendo and potential disharmony.

I just hope the recuruiting staff have not gambled and are very confident in Boyd's ability. Then we will call it a masterstroke.
I'm sure you're probably right on this but at this time of year my memory fades and math goes out the window. How do we come to the 3 top ten picks opportunity cost?

I'm sure you're probably right on this but at this time of year my memory fades and math goes out the window. How do we come to the 3 top ten picks opportunity cost?
We had 6 and the general consensus was gws were offering 4 and 7 for Griffen. At worst it was 4 and 19, so the general theme of my post still rings true.

We had 6 and the general consensus was gws were offering 4 and 7 for Griffen. At worst it was 4 and 19, so the general theme of my post still rings true.
I'm not saying 4 and something else wouldn't have been offered but someone reported their initial offer was 7 and something

Keep 6 and get 4 and 7/19 for grofin?
I would find it hard to make a case for Boyd if the deal was 4 and 7 and we keep pick 6. Could've picked up Wright and 2 huge talents in that scenario. That would be a high price indeed. Even 4,7, 19 would be pushing it.

Last edited:
Also, as it stood, we wouldn't have Gripe'n under any scenario.
We have Boyd instead of 4 and 7 plus someone. Therefore we valued Boyd alone higher than Wright plus say Laverde, Durdin, De Goey or Marchbank. A high price but not out of the question.

It was pick 7 plus a player. They were never offering pick 4. I would have thought better of GWS IF they offered 4&7. But they are just CHEAP!
We came out of this pretty well. Let's hope it starts the feeding frenzy!

It was pick 7 plus a player. They were never offering pick 4. I would have thought better of GWS IF they offered 4&7. But they are just CHEAP!
We came out of this pretty well. Let's hope it starts the feeding frenzy!
So keep pick 6, get pick 7 plus a player. Lose gripp. Go to to the draft with 6 and 7 to find a replacement for gripp and a FF/CHF. That's the definitive deal on offer at the time?
Reality is we get Boyd (CHF/FF) and replace gripp with a 2nd rounder+ or internal promotion.
Fair summation?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Griffen 2014 was a shadow of the player he was in previous seasons, Cooney and Higgins good but no longer world beaters

I favour using Griff and pick 6 to trade up to the 2013 top draft pick Boyd

We have developed a new group of exiting midfielders who should compensate for the loss of the older 3 guys

I'm optimistic our list is better than last year and I think it will challenge for positions 12 up to possibly 7

So effectively we chose (under duress) between grippen and 6 for Boyd or grippen and 6 for 4,7 and a list clogger. Either way we didn't keep 6. I'm not uncomfortable with how it panned out.

Here is the way I see it - we haven't won a flag in like forever - we were looking at being Crap for the next three years anyway.

What did we have to lose ?
If Boyd is crap ... We continue to be crap and continue to not win flags.

If he turns out to be a star, we should be finalists and dependant upon next couple of drafts maybe top four by 2018

Griffen 2014 was a shadow of the player he was in previous seasons, Cooney and Higgins good but no longer world beaters

I favour using Griff and pick 6 to trade up to the 2013 top draft pick Boyd

We have developed a new group of exiting midfielders who should compensate for the loss of the older 3 guys

I'm optimistic our list is better than last year and I think it will challenge for positions 12 up to possibly 7

I'll respect that you have your opinion but it really staggers me how people can think this.

I just cannot fathom how people see us winning ten games.

Really frustrates me people talking down the contributions of Griffen Cooney Higgins and even jones.

Like it or not jones was instrumental in our wins and imo we looked crap without him in the side over the last three months.

I ask you to watch the highlights packages from 2014 - of al the match highlights I've been watching in our wins Griffen Cooney Higgins jones and even gia play pretty key roles.

I understand it's human nature to lash out at defectors who turned their backs on offers from the club but in reality the guys who left provided great experience and talent in games we won last year.

The one game I will concede gives me encouragement is the Suns games but I have reservations over the side we played against that day without a couple of stars and run down

Last edited:
I'm so excited Jones has gone. Overrated flog. If he can't understand why he was playing 2nds after the utter crap he dished up last year he is monsterously deluded about AFL level. So much talent he's busy flushing away because of his weak weak will.

I'll respect that you have your opinion but it really staggers me how people can think this.

I just cannot fathom how people see us winning ten games.

Really frustrates me people talking down the contributions of Griffen Cooney Higgins and even jones.

Agreed, I can't understand people thinking we have a better list this year than last, its delusional.

Long term we may be better off but our ins go nowhere near matching our outs. Boyd won't have much impact this year. Griffen was our best player

The list in 2015 may be worse than 2014 but at least there is some hope.
We were going no where under the previous regime. It's no all about list talent anyway. Some half decent tactics and player/positional choices will be worth a few wins.
No idea if Beveridge is up to it yet but couldn't be worse than the last bloke.

I'm so excited Jones has gone. Overrated flog. If he can't understand why he was playing 2nds after the utter crap he dished up last year he is monsterously deluded about AFL level. So much talent he's busy flushing away because of his weak weak will.

I liked the post but disagree with bold bit.

Delighted he's gone.

The list in 2015 may be worse than 2014 but at least there is some hope.
We were going no where under the previous regime. It's no all about list talent anyway. Some half decent tactics and player/positional choices will be worth a few wins.
No idea if Beveridge is up to it yet but couldn't be worse than the last bloke.

Don't always agree with you ES , but with this one found myself nodding in agreement on this.

Agreed, I can't understand people thinking we have a better list this year than last, its delusional.

Long term we may be better off but our ins go nowhere near matching our outs. Boyd won't have much impact this year. Griffen was our best player

Only thing I dissagree with you here , is Libber had gone past Griffen as our best player.
May not be as flashy but his influence in games week in week out was more important.
Sadly Griffen will be fantastic for GWS and is a massive loss for us.

Is Our Future Bright

I for one have barracked and had my heart broken buy my beloved football team.
97 when Libba kicked that goal not allowed .....
2011 when Roo got those shocking free kicks :-(

both those teams we had some champions playing Grant,West,Libba,Smith,Johnson etc...

Now lets look at what we have now...

1)Stringer a 193cm power forward who will work through the middle
2)Bonti a 194cm onballer who can play forward or even back
3)Boyd a 201cm giant who will dominate opposition players and prove the difference in big finals
4)McCrae a 193 wingman who has poise and smarts can go forward or back
5)Libba a 185 strong inside midfielder who does not get injured is the general at 22 so at 26 ???
6)Dalhouse small forward who changes games in minutes will move through the midfield and will win big games
7)Roughead 200cm backman who can swing forward or even ruck in the future upside massive
8)Wallis is a 186 strong bodied midfielder who can also tag if needed will be our next captain
9)Hunter is our wildcard just doesn't loose a 1 on 1 and has built a massive tank
10)Wood is a shut down HB who will lead a backline from the front under rated by other clubs
11)Talia is a 194cm CHB has everything a CHB needs to succeed and could be better than his brother
12)Smith will be back even better strong at it makes any side better
13)Stevens is your perfect fix it guy back forward or in the middle good skills and hard at it
14Hrovatt is a running machine who loves to move the ball on fast goes at 86% eff just what a good side needs
15)Campbell is the one we all forget would be playing if not for a strong Minson only 23 so 7 great years to come
16) JJ is our running backman who delivers lace out

As for our new boys lets wait and see.

So if you didn't think we had a future read it again!!!!!!!

This group is a good as I have ever seen get on board now not in 3 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back