Isaac Smith - mmmmmmmm- lovely.

Remove this Banner Ad

^Finally, some sense. Smith DID NOT QUALIFY FOR PRE-SELECTION.
Richardson did, so we made it happen.

Smith had never nominated for the AFL draft so was unable to be on traded by GC.

I'd take Atley over Smith if we had to do it again to. I'd like both though. Richo hasn't had the same impact as Smith, but it's still early days. Hawks are a well drilled team, with more structure for Smith to work into. Smith has blistering pace, and as we've seen with Speight ourselves, you have pace, you can make an instant impact if you've half a clue.

Richo was put into a struggling defense and with today's press it's now one of the hardest roles to carry out, made even harder by the surrounding talent.

I don't think they would've run the risk of having to pass on a 2nd round pick for the benefit of being stuck with someone like Phillips on their list.

I read it as GC just wanting additional picks and "listing" Richardson, Phillips etc was a means to an end - we give you pick X, you list player Y for most of these trades.

That's how I remember it being reported at the time. Perhaps one of the more dedicated draft watchers can clarify.

Perhaps they did pre-empt your interest and grab him; knowing that you'd bid more for the NB lad than the other kid (Smith)

This has got way, waaaay off topic... my point was only, really, that you compare apples with apples.

It's been sorted now.

Isaac Smith was not in scope because he never nominated for a previous draft. Of course we'd have liked him

Gold Coast were flat out saying if we can't come to a deal they'd keep him. Why do you think they played hard ball with him vs some of the others? Maybe you should review what was reported at the time to confirm this.

^Finally, some sense. Smith DID NOT QUALIFY FOR PRE-SELECTION.
Richardson did, so we made it happen.

Smith had never nominated for the AFL draft so was unable to be on traded by GC.

I'd take Atley over Smith if we had to do it again to. I'd like both though. Richo hasn't had the same impact as Smith, but it's still early days. Hawks are a well drilled team, with more structure for Smith to work into. Smith has blistering pace, and as we've seen with Speight ourselves, you have pace, you can make an instant impact if you've half a clue.

Richo was put into a struggling defense and with today's press it's now one of the hardest roles to carry out, made even harder by the surrounding talent.

I doubt any club wouldn't take Atley over Smith. Smith is exactly the player we need but was probably taken higher than his worth due to that very reason. Was a definite draft of need over best available.

I've been impressed with Richardson's last couple of games, but at the moment Smith is clearly ahead. Smith's game on the weekend was better on than any of Richo's games, and that wasn't even Issac's best game for the year.

Richardson still has a lot of improvement in him. I'm still confident he can become exactly what we need.

Cam has much more of a capacity to win his own ball.

Smith's edge in stats comes from uncontested disposals.

Was a definite draft of need over best available.

Agree with this, and agree with it in the scope of the entire draft as well as the draft previous, a number of clubs went for what they needed rather than best available which is the general pattern.

Curious, would anyone haven chosen-

..Isaac over Atley?

..Isaac over Harper?

I'm guessing not many. I watched a lot of NB and saw the fast development of Smith and really wanted us to get him.

However.. Atley represents a more solid investment for us in terms of a core midfielder. And Kieran looks to ooze class and could be.. anything.

So as much as it would've been awesome to have Smith's lightning pace and long left foot in our side, I wouldn't give up either of the above to get it.

Hawthorn and ourselves would both be happy with our hauls I'd say.

So after about 6 games and 9 months in the AFL system, Smith has peaked?

Wow just Wow.
Let's just say that their respective ceilings differ by nature of not just their age but their all round skill set also. Although Smith is a very handy wingman and has the potential to be a good one for a significant period, Atley has a much higher ceiling and looks like being an inside/outside mid of high quality and a very effective dashing half back flanker.

The reality is that our first round target was always Kieran Harper. That we got Atley is a tremendous bonus.

The REAL comparison should be Smith vs Harper because had everything gone to expectation and Ats gone before our pick, that's the debate that would be raging.

And while Smith has slotted very nicely into that Hawthorn team, Kieran is showing signs of being something very very good.

I'd rather Atley by so far. Smith's got some super attributes but he's a genuine outside reciever.

It won't be too long before we see Atley accelarating out of contest after contest with ball in hand, ala Mr Judd.

Why are we even discussing Atley and Smith?

Did someone put acid in the kool aid?

It's a Devil Fish thread FFS!

I'd rather Atley by so far. Smith's got some super attributes but he's a genuine outside reciever.

It won't be too long before we see Atley accelarating out of contest after contest with ball in hand, ala Mr Judd.

Atley did that once very nicely on the weekend. Like my neighbour's bogan Dad once said about the act of fellatio, it was a taste of things to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets keep this simple. Right now Smith has had a better season than Atley or Harper. Over a career that is another thing. I also think Atley will be good and Harper very good.

Smith has surprised us a bit because although it was a needs pick combined with upside we all thought he would be strictly outside. However, he does have some useful inside ball winning ability. Not like Ziebell or Sewell but still a handy and surprising attribute.

Atley did that once very nicely on the weekend. Like my neighbour's bogan Dad once said about the act of fellatio, it was a taste of things to come.

Anyway, after I........................

That's a very valid point. I'm not having a shot at Atley my good friend. I knew some people would take this thread the wrong way. I'm just saying, Smith was exactly the sort of guy we needed and Hawthorn would be rapt that we bypassed him.
I have been very impressed with what I've seen from Atley this season.

Really? So why start a thread about Isaac Smith and talk about his attributes and how we need them yet ignore the fact that Atley is as quick as Smith is?

Really? So why start a thread about Isaac Smith and talk about his attributes and how we need them yet ignore the fact that Atley is as quick as Smith is?
At no stage did the Big DF criticise Atley. You my friend are simply incapable of comprehending a post. He likes the look of Smith. Nothing wrong with that is there DR?

He didn't have too criticise him. I can see through his bullshit.

Why do you have to come to your BF's rescue every time someone argues against him?

Finally. The voice of reason. I knew you'd be able to set things straight DR. I'm surprised you & Teffy have got any spare time to spend on BF at the moment. I naturally assumed the 2 of you would be snowed under advising the US congress how to resolve their financial crisis & I'm sure the British Govt has touched base with you guys as to the best way to manage their riots.
Anyway, I just keep forgetting the basic premise you two guys operate under: NMFC has the best 38 players in the AFL & we are the best run club in the comp. It's always the AFL's &/or umpires fault that we ever lose games.

PS. I really like the look of Atley. His father Rick is a close family friend of mine.

PSS. Apparently we will be playing the Dogs in Darwin next year DR - be good to catch up.:thumbsu:

Liked the look of Smith in tonites final - very impressive for a first final. I'm getting excited as to how good Atley will be after reading how much better he will be than Smith. All we need is for Gary Rohan to have a blinder tomorrow night vs StK and I'll be moist just thinking about how good Cunnington will be.

Liked the look of Smith in tonites final - very impressive for a first final. I'm getting excited as to how good Atley will be after reading how much better he will be than Smith. All we need is for Gary Rohan to have a blinder tomorrow night vs StK and I'll be moist just thinking about how good Cunnington will be.

It would have been interesting if we had taken Rohan and Smith instead. Mind you, I think hawks would have snapped up Atley and the situation would be reversed, we would be saying if only we had taken Atley. :p In reality, our mid unit is not mature yet and it is a hard environment for a kid to be amazing, it is why we should salivate at how good JZ will be.

devilfish_bingo_250x250-en.gif

Atley, Smith, Cunnington and Rohan have all pretty much gone as expected so far.

Atley has great evasive skills and average kicking. Cunnington is a tough, no frills player. Rohan has a huge bag of tricks but struggles to get a lot of the ball. Smith is having an immediate impact as you'd expect from a 22yo first rounder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back