Its betterer then good grammar

What do you think of the grammar standards on here?

• Nothing wrong with them, their perfectly fine

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • I wish the general standards were higher

Votes: 29 59.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand the prejudice against (or is it towards?) American spelling. Is it such a big deal? British snobbery? But I still fall into line.

A lot of the poor grammar on here derives from people posting via smart phones; being on the turps while posting; or being angry/frustrated at a Pies loss.

I tend to look beyond the grammar at the intent. Plenty of posters who for whatever reason struggle with spelling, tense and the structure of a sentence still get their message across!

A fair retort, and one that has been said for 400 years ...

Back in the 17th century when British scholars were establishing common standards for the spelling of words, some of the scholars ***deliberately*** made the spelling of them difficult so that the smartypants scholars could feel superior.

Words that have silent letters often fall into this category - for example 'debt' with its silent 'b'.

English has buried deep within it a class war between the perceived educated and uneducated.
Just on the 'debt' example, if I recall correctly (am an engineer by trade but studied linguistics for a while over here), the 'b' was retrospectively inserted to reinforce the perceived etymological link to the Latin. There are also cases where letters were inserted spuriously, the classic one which always gets trotted out is island, due to a perceived link to 'isle' (with its link to Latin insula via French). Those cases might be also linked to some sort of means of scholarly 'secret handshake' differentiation.

EDIT: Here's one theory on the original motive for the silent b: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English-language_spelling_reform

I don't understand the prejudice against (or is it towards?) American spelling. Is it such a big deal? British snobbery? But I still fall into line.

A lot of the poor grammar on here derives from people posting via smart phones; being on the turps while posting; or being angry/frustrated at a Pies loss.

I tend to look beyond the grammar at the intent. Plenty of posters who for whatever reason struggle with spelling, tense and the structure of a sentence still get their message across!
That autocorrect can be a bummer at times :p

A question mark signifies the termination of a sentence just like a full stop.
The next word should have started with a capital letter ;)
I'm so sorry sir. I will write your post out 100 times freehand to try to learn my lesson.
Also, I apologise that this mistake made my post totally illegible.
I will try to keep my thoughts to myself so your anally *ed fingers don't have to let others know what's wrong with me.
Actually, you know where you can stick those fingers?

:)

Yes, correct grammar is good. However, on the internet, you need to cut some people slack because you don't know if it is laziness, poor skills or a learning disability. The latter makes you a bully.

For me, it's a forum and I am not going to sit here editing every post I make to satisfy you lot.

When you get your fingers out of your ASS, lighten up and enjoy life.

Well done OP, build it and they will come.

If only there was a way to lock you all in this thread and not let you out until you behave!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I think that grammar is important, even on an internet forum. But we can go to far in correcting others. If people use the wrong 'there' so what, it is no big deal. As long as people use commas, full stops and start new paragraphs all roughly where they should be I'm happy. However people who use text talk should be kicked of the forums.

Too* :p

... you don't know if it is laziness, poor skills or a learning disability. The latter makes you a bully.

Perhaps we are doing them a favour by pointing out their error and hoping that they'll take it on board.
The ability to spell and use correct grammar is an important skill that will be the difference between a person getting hired for a job or having their resume thrown out instantly. Unfortunately, 'his' and 'he's' doesn't get caught by any spell checker as they are both English words... English words that are far, far different in meaning.

Perhaps we are doing them a favour by pointing out their error and hoping that they'll take it on board.
The ability to spell and use correct grammar is an important skill that will be the difference between a person getting hired for a job or having their resume thrown out instantly. Unfortunately, 'his' and 'he's' doesn't get caught by any spell checker as they are both English words... English words that are far, far different in meaning.

I bet it took you half an hour to type and proof read that post.

You know you're asking for all eyes to fall upon you wicksy ...... They'll be watching.:)

'Grammar Nazi' must be one of the dumbest phrases thrown around on this board.

Spelling and grammar isn't my strongest suit and I occasionally make mistakes. When I have been corrected by another poster I just thank them for pointing it out. I am happy to learn and improve.

Being corrected doesn't need to be considered as an insult.

* edit : I left out the word 'happy' then had to edit it back in. I guess I was just proving my original point. Proof reading before posting is something I need to do.

I bet it took you half an hour to type and proof read that post.

You know you're asking for all eyes to fall upon you wicksy ...... They'll be watching.:)

No. I've spent my life reading books and attending school. Therefore, no use for a dictionary or spell check for me. :)

P.S I bet you spent half an hour reading my post trying to find grammatical errors.

No. I've spent my life reading books and attending school. Therefore, no use for a dictionary or spell check for me. :)

P.S I bet you spent half an hour reading my post trying to find grammatical errors.

Given my mathematical abilities I find the difference in our posts to be 2 minutes.........hence the answer will have to be a firm.......NO. :)

Rather than crack the shits, learn something. I dare say I make many errors I'm unaware of and am more than happy to have them corrected.

"would of" is the main one annoying me lately...."would've " or "would have" the correct usage...

I find the separation useful in forums as it does add a pause/emphasis/a moment to reflect etc.

I think it works.................but maybe it doesn't. ;)

I must admit until I read the post by beez I was blissfully unaware of the 3 point ellipsis rule. I preferred to extend the pause for effect like yourself. So yes it worked for me. But now I have been educated.

Edit: Ps. How do I tag posters within a post? I've never been able to do this.

Last edited:
Permit me to take a step back and observe what I believe to be a real problem when it comes to correct use of language on the Internet. I am a pompous w@nk*r after all, so I may as well have my say.

People on both sides become too emotionally invested too quickly. Those who insist on pointing out errors often do it in a way that, intentional or not, publicly ridicules the person responsible for the error. In turn the person in error feels set upon and attacks the person correcting them.

Here's a simple set of guidelines that no one will follow. However, if we did use them they would act like an online rotor rooter, unclogging threads that are jammed up with "grammar nazi" this and "it's definitely not defiantly, you flog" that.

1. If you can't understand a post, ask for clarification. Hell, you could even ask politely.

2. If you see an error that irritates you, send a polite PM to the poster, suggesting that they use the correct form. Be sure to double check your own interpretation first, lest you come out looking like a right dickhead.

3. If you receive such a PM, don't take it too personally. Take it as it was intended; a friendly tip from a fellow Pie. However if they are genuinely rude about it, tell them to f*** off.

4. If you know or discover that a poster has learning difficulties, employ your own learning skills and learn to get over it.

Communication is important but life is short. Enjoy both.

Back