J Begley: quiet achiever

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually dyertribe, this thread was started about a year ago, so I fail to see where your '2 years' thesis come from. Secondly, it is only this season his form has been down. He has barely had any gametime and been in and out of the side...hardly a good way to regain your form after injury.

His best is far from mediocre. This is not a Doughty. And you're a revisionist - I've always supported Doughty, yes. Not as a topline player, which he never will be, but as one of the better of our second-tier ball-carriers and users. Even you've had to admit that. You always had him first on the delists, yet he is far better than many other on the chopping table.

just maybe said:
Actually dyertribe, this thread was started about a year ago, so I fail to see where your '2 years' thesis come from.

I know that. You'll note I said "glimpses in 2004" - on the whole he's been far down on his fine form of 2003, capice?

Secondly, it is only this season his form has been down. He has barely had any gametime and been in and out of the side...hardly a good way to regain your form after injury.

I think you'll find Begley's entire career is defined by patchy form not helped by injury. His best block of form was his run in 2003 where he was finding plenty of it and using it well - he has regressed since.

His best is far from mediocre.

You could say the same for the likes of Kris Massie. Unfortunately this is AFL football and you can't carry players forever in the hope they'll come good. Begley has had seven seasons over two clubs to perform to the level he's capable of, but it simply isn't happening.

At the moment he is a passenger - as I said, the onus is on him to start performing.

dyertribe said:
With Massie and Begley on opposite HB-flanks we really do have the ability to run through the lines and create havoc turning defence into attack - something we haven't really seen since the halycon days of Smart and Goodwin.

Note this, dyertribe? Posted last year? Ie Begs was not just showing 'glimpses', but was very consistent up until his injury.

His only 'decline' has been in his games so far this year, which have been, as I said, quite possibly up to misuse of him on return from injury.

just maybe said:
Note this, dyertribe? Posted last year? Ie Begs was not just showing 'glimpses', but was very consistent up until his injury.

His only 'decline' has been in his games so far this year, which have been, as I said, quite possibly up to misuse of him on return from injury.

Uh-huh, you began this thread on 10-5-04 and I replied on the same day, after Begley had turned in an encouraging performance against Port Adelaide where he provided us with some run and drive (without being good, third straight week he'd turned in nine possessions) - however, as with Massie I expected a lot of improvement - in 2003 Begley was amassing the odd 25+ possession game and really looked the goods.

A few weeks after this thread was started he was injured again, and has since come back and been sub-standard. As I said, the onus is on him to prove us (you seem to be in the minorty on him) wrong.

dyertribe said:
Uh-huh, you began this thread on 10-5-04 and I replied on the same day, after Begley had turned in an encouraging performance against Port Adelaide where he provided us with some run and drive (without being good, third straight week he'd turned in nine possessions) - however, as with Massie I expected a lot of improvement - in 2003 Begley was amassing the odd 25+ possession game and really looked the goods.

A few weeks after this thread was started he was injured again, and has since come back and been sub-standard. As I said, the onus is on him to prove us (you seem to be in the minorty on him) wrong.

Rubbish, utterly irrelevant. He was not playing deep in the backlines in 2003, so the 'odd 25 possession game' is an utterly ridiculous comparison. You cannot expect him to be turning up those figures when he was playing in defense. He was providing good negation, run, precise kicking and rebound. This thread was made after a 9-possession performance in which he negaed Burgoyne and those 9 possessions were all useful, which is why I wrote the damn thread. For someone who seems to have a great depth of understanding of football, why do you resort to crass idiotic measures of performance like raw possessions? When it suits your argument maybe?

Then he was injured - and be aware, he only had ONE more game before this season.

So ONCE AGAIN I point out it has only been this season, after a crap pre-season, that he has been poor, and you dribble crap like '2 years of bad form'.

Just admit you were wrong about that and it has been only this season his form has been poor.

just maybe said:
Funny how the tide turns and people are sniping Begley and calling for him to be top of the chop at season's end.

how did you know to find this thread?? It suggests you must have another username on here doesnt it?

And that thread was a bit of comedy wasnt it. Good to see some of our regular posters say how great the champ would be. I think someone even went on about massie. Oh the shame :eek: :D

Good thing the board has a far more balanced and critical view these days, there was nothing but agreeing in this thread. :)

outback jack said:
how did you know to find this thread?? It suggests you must have another username on here doesnt it?

Or he knows how to type Begley and click 'search'. ;)

just maybe said:
Rubbish, utterly irrelevant. He was not playing deep in the backlines in 2003, so the 'odd 25 possession game' is an utterly ridiculous comparison. You cannot expect him to be turning up those figures when he was playing in defense. He was providing good negation, run, precise kicking and rebound. This thread was made after a 9-possession performance in which he negaed Burgoyne and those 9 possessions were all useful, which is why I wrote the damn thread. For someone who seems to have a great depth of understanding of football, why do you resort to crass idiotic measures of performance like raw possessions? When it suits your argument maybe?

Then he was injured - and be aware, he only had ONE more game before this season.

So ONCE AGAIN I point out it has only been this season, after a crap pre-season, that he has been poor, and you dribble crap like '2 years of bad form'.

Just admit you were wrong about that and it has been only this season his form has been poor.

Have you ever been able to debate football with me (or others) without flying off the handle, Spindoctor? I get the feeling you'd argue with yourself under the right conditions.

Let's just agree to disagree before you give yourself a hernia. ;)

I was not flying off the handle. Oh yes, calling something rubbish or utterly irrelevant is flying off the handle. Funny definition you have there, dyertribe.

I'm just trying to strongly emphasise how utterly boggled am that you won't back down from this '2 years' trash, which you can't even back UP.

just maybe said:
I'm just trying to strongly emphasise how utterly boggled am that you won't back down from this '2 years' trash, which you can't even back UP.

So you're saying that his 2004 was equal to his 2003?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough Jack. Dyertribe had to spell it out before the penny dropped with me. I wasn't aware who just maybe was.

Spindoctor probably had to hide his identity to escape the stalking of Michelangelo Rucci. :D

outback jack said:
1. how did you know to find this thread?? It suggests you must have another username on here doesnt it?

2. And that thread was a bit of comedy wasnt it. Good to see some of our regular posters say how great the champ would be. I think someone even went on about massie. Oh the shame :eek: :D

3. Good thing the board has a far more balanced and critical view these days, there was nothing but agreeing in this thread.

1. Is there a doctor in the house?

2. Crap on, jack. Form in footy is a transient thing, and at the time people called it as they saw it. If they all liked what they saw, why wouldn't they agree? Begley had always had pretty good form before this year, and at the time of this thread, had carved up a succession of small forwards as he had the pace to go with them.

3. You sure have added that necessary balance poise and class with your criticisms jackie boy. You really crack me up. ;)

dyertribe said:
So you're saying that his 2004 was equal to his 2003?

In terms of possessions, no. In terms of his actual role in the side and effect of his performances, better.

And ****, so what if I changed my name? As you can see, I was not permanently banned, I just chose to have a refreshment of account.

Stalking Rucci? Why would I bother with that ferret? Enough people on this board attack him without any further input from me.

spindoctor said:
And ****, so what if I changed my name? As you can see, I was not permanently banned, I just chose to have a refreshment of account.

Mate why would I care? I never said there was anything wrong with it. Jack brought it up. The only comment I had was that I only just just realised you had changed your name. I'm the last person to care about something like that.

Stalking Rucci? Why would I bother with that ferret? Enough people on this board attack him without any further input from me.

I was only joking. I remember a time when Rucci had a bit of an obsession with you.

Rucci did? I thought it was Stiffy he was quoting? He never really said anything to or about me as far as I know?

Haha, I completely forgot about that! Yes, he got a bit testy, old Rooch.

I haven't needed to say anything, this year, he's done all his own bad publciity work with his rubbish articles! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back