James Frawley to Fremantle?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two years ago, when McPharlin, Johnson and Dawson were all fit and firing, would a Frawley have gotten a regular gig in our backline? I don't know. Silvagni didn't get a gig because he played the same position as one of the best CHB the game has seen in McPharlin. Saying Frawley is better because he had ONE good year, where he had ZERO competition for his spot is short sighted. Silvagni is chronically under rated. Has he ever been torn apart by a big forward? I can't remember him ever getting pantsed. It might have happened, I just can't remember it happening. I do remember him doing the business on Shultz when we lost this year at Adelaide oval. I do remember him keeping buddy quiet in a final this year until junk time. I do remember Silvagni pansting buddy in 2010 or 11. We'd be better off offering big money to Ryder who is a bonafied A grader, not a poser from Melbourne.

Yeah Tex Walker destroyed him in a semi final

Yeah Tex Walker destroyed him in a semi final
That's true. Tex has torn apart plenty of defenders, including Frawley though. Pav kicked 6 on Harry Taylor in a final. Taylor was a gun defender last time I checked. Frawley is probably better than Silvagni, but only just, yet he will cost more than double and almost thee times what Silvagni costs for a slight upgrade. It's insanity personified.

LOL He's 1cm and 1kg bigger than Silvagni. I'm confident that Frawley is only SLIGHTLY better than Silvagni. Like I just posted to SJJ It's dumb to give 450k a year more to someone who makes us a fraction better. If you want to throw big money and long deals at someone, Ryder is your man. Carlisle is also another option. They can walk due to ASADA and if they get a seven year deal at 700k per year, I doubt they'd say no. s**t I'd rather pay Waite 700k for two years while the younger brigade develop. Really don't see what Frawley brings to the table that silvagni doesn't.

IF. IF they choose to exercise that option, IF it survives legal challenge and IF a club like the Lions (i.e. Ryder's allegedly preferred destination) doesn't pony up a trade to Essendon to guarantee first dibs.

I'd be in favour of either over Frawley. Realistically, is it going to happen? No, not a chance.

IF. IF they choose to exercise that option, IF it survives legal challenge and IF a club like the Lions (i.e. Ryder's allegedly preferred destination) doesn't pony up a trade to Essendon to guarantee first dibs.
IF. IF Frawley decides to leave the Demons. IF, IF frawley decideds to leave Victoria. IF the Cats don't match or better our offer. IF Frawley doesn't decide the Hawks are a better fit.

My main beef is that Frawley is going to get a deal normally reserved for ELITE players. He's decent, very good in fact, but he's not elite. Not by a long shot. He'll cost us a legitimate Elite player down the track because we'll have money tied up in him.

Last edited:
For those that are comparing Frawley to Silvagni have got purple glasses on. Has Silvagni made the All Australian team? Frawley has great pace, much better skills than Silvagni, has the ability to play on a small or tall and also can be played forward to much better effect. Silvagni is handy backup and that is it guys. He will never be a main stay in our backline. As much as everyone would love him to just step into McPharlins shoes it just will not work.

This might be silly but how would you gauge whether Frawley is worth it or not based on those numbers. If he does come across and slot in to our back line who's to say that it won't become a perfect fit. Dockers pride themselves on being defensive beasts, he will simply take up his role with the other players down there as support.

That's true. Tex has torn apart plenty of defenders, including Frawley though. Pav kicked 6 on Harry Taylor in a final. Taylor was a gun defender last time I checked. Frawley is probably better than Silvagni, but only just, yet he will cost more than double and almost thee times what Silvagni costs for a slight upgrade. It's insanity personified.

That semi final still gives me nightmares. i dont think Silvagni would feel great at the moment. Playing understudy to McPharlin is one thing but having waited and performed well when you opportunity has come...only for your club to court a FA who plays your position would hurt wouldnt it?

For those that are comparing Frawley to Silvagni have got purple glasses on. Has Silvagni made the All Australian team? Frawley has great pace, much better skills than Silvagni, has the ability to play on a small or tall and also can be played forward to much better effect. Silvagni is handy backup and that is it guys. He will never be a main stay in our backline. As much as everyone would love him to just step into McPharlins shoes it just will not work.
Based on what, exaclty? Frawley isn't renowned as a posessor of great disposal. Silvagni isn't terrible. Frawley had one great year. That's it. He's no proven A grader, and people seem to think he's going to be our backline saviour or something. He's only marginally better than Silvagni. If he was coming here on a three year deal for about 450k-500k I wouldn't be so opposed to it. He's worth about that. 700k+ over seven years makes me think we've gone into a time warp and CC and Schwabby are running the show again.

Based on what, exaclty? Frawley isn't renowned as a posessor of great disposal. Silvagni isn't terrible. Frawley had one great year. That's it. He's no proven A grader
1 great year at a club that has set records for being pathetic on and off the field. The teams he has played in have been woeful, the fitness demands of those teams have been woeful, list goes on.
Just by participating in our pre-season will have him better than he was ever at the Demons. At least he is not known to be a lazy player ala Sylvia.

there is a lot if "IMO" missing in that and suddenly AA means something when we have three players in the team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IF. IF Frawley decides to leave the Demons. IF, IF frawley decideds to leave Victoria. IF the Cats don't match or better our offer. IF Frawley doesn't decide the Hawks are a better fit.

Which do you think is more likely? Luring a free agent who has already met with us or a contracted player who other clubs have talked to (and not us) and who's freedom of movement depends on contractual outs and potential challenges?

Also the deal offered is 600k over 5 years not 700k over 7 years: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...te-also-on-radar/story-fni5f6su-1227061568883

Which do you think is more likely?

Also the deal offered is 600k over 5 years not 700k over 7 years: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...te-also-on-radar/story-fni5f6su-1227061568883

Oh Frawley is clearly more likely. Very likely in fact. I can't argue with that.

However, I reckon that both the Hawks and Cats would be offering similar deals and to get him west would mean more money and/or more years. I haven't read the article yet, but, I doubt the terms and conditions of the deal have been released and it's more likely to be speculation.

Which do you think is more likely? Luring a free agent who has already met with us or a contracted player who other clubs have talked to (and not us) and who's freedom of movement depends on contractual outs and potential challenges?

You know what, I hope if we do get him he lives up to the hype. There will be a lot of pressure on him to perform and if he's keeping Silvagni out of the squad, I'd bet he goes back to victoria next year. Thus we won't have improved our depth by paying a lot more money to a slightly better player. I also hope I'm wrong, because it would be nice to recruit a player who actually makes us a hell of a lot better.

Based on what, exaclty? Frawley isn't renowned as a posessor of great disposal. Silvagni isn't terrible. Frawley had one great year. That's it. He's no proven A grader, and people seem to think he's going to be our backline saviour or something. He's only marginally better than Silvagni. If he was coming here on a three year deal for about 450k-500k I wouldn't be so opposed to it. He's worth about that. 700k+ over seven years makes me think we've gone into a time warp and CC and Schwabby are running the show again.
Well if you actually look at the updates its $3 million over 5 years so that's $600k a year. How many players out of the Demons have made the AA in the past 10 years? he has been playing in a defence that has been absolutely smashed for the last decade and was still able to make the AA as a KPD even though the ball would have been coming at him from every direction. So just to clarify do you think that Dawson and Silvagni is a premiership winning defence?

Well if you actually look at the updates its $3 million over 5 years so that's $600k a year. How many players out of the Demons have made the AA in the past 10 years? he has been playing in a defence that has been absolutely smashed for the last decade and was still able to make the AA as a KPD even though the ball would have been coming at him from every direction. So just to clarify do you think that Dawson and Silvagni is a premiership winning defence?

and dawson + frawley is?

I think that Silvagni, Dawson with Johnson and Ibbo playing loose third tall is effective enough to win a flag. My main beef is that we're giving way too much money to a guy who is marginally better than the guy who's patiently waited for his time in the sun and will cost almost a third of the money. We could take that 700+ over seven years and actually attract a legitmate A grader, who would definitely improve our flag prospects. Totally different player and he's also contracted, but I think Brad Hill improves our flag chances way more than Frawley, despite our need for depth in the key position stocks. We also probably wouldn't have to pay him 700 over 7 years.

I don't really think you have to right IMO as this is a forum and every person that writes a sentence in this is writing there opinion.

good that you clear that up ... it sounded like you were talking "facts"

Its got a lot more runs on the board than Dawson and Silvagni

and what runs may that be? and please do not say AA again

You know what, I hope if we do get him he lives up to the hype. There will be a lot of pressure on him to perform and if he's keeping Silvagni out of the squad, I'd bet he goes back to victoria next year. Thus we won't have improved our depth by paying a lot more money to a slightly better player. I also hope I'm wrong, because it would be nice to recruit a player who actually makes us a hell of a lot better.

Why can't we play Frawley and Silvangi ?

Play both down back or either one forward

I think that Silvagni, Dawson with Johnson and Ibbo playing loose third tall is effective enough to win a flag. My main beef is that we're giving way too much money to a guy who is marginally better than the guy who's patiently waited for his time in the sun and will cost almost a third of the money. We could take that 700+ over seven years and actually attract a legitmate A grader, who would definitely improve our flag prospects.
I'm not saying that your wrong I just think its a risk worth taking. Look what the hawks did, they Brought in Lake one year and won the flag the next. Then the next year traded away there first pick for McEvoy. We have the chance to bring in someone that could be the difference to us winning a flag but keeping the ability to go to the draft for the future as well.

good that you clear that up ... it sounded like you were talking "facts"

and what runs may that be? and please do not say AA again
Frawley has played nearly 100 more AFL games than Silvagni and is a year younger. I'd like to think that he brings a lot more experience to the table than Silvagni

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back