Super Hans

marcus proudson
10k Posts Pokemon is Life SuperCoach Club Board Championship League Member
Apr 27, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
TrailBlazers, Juventus, Raiders
All three are in the draft this year as 18 year olds and available at your pick, who do you take? Along with their pure football abilities, you also get their negatives (e.g Hird's injuries, Aker's controversy).

For me I'd take Hird, Akermanis then Harvey. Hird injuries hurt him, but I still have him first. IMO Aker was better than Harvey.

I voted for Harvey and did so while being all to aware of the blue and white tinted glasses that cover my eyes. ;)

While you might not get the highs that come with Hird and Aker, you get 20(+) years of a pretty bloody good footballer.

Hird, by the length of the Flemington straight and then some.

It won't stop me badmouthing him now and making wisecracks about his haircut and his wife, but he's possibly the best player I've seen in my time. Made watching a side I didn't particularly like rather enjoyable.

I loved Aker when he was with us, and Harvey's been remarkably durable, but I don't have either in the same league. Aker's closer, had an X factor unlike many others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I take away my bias, Hird. I consider Harvey and Aker hard to compare as I feel, although I can't back it up, that Aker spent a lot more time forward than Harvey has.

If Hird had of been fit his entire career, he would have won 3 to 4 brownlows, he was just a freak of a footballer, right up there wih Ablett and Carey as the best footballers I have ever seen.

Weird poll. Hird in a canter.
You would certainly think about Aka though. His stupidity off the field tends to detract from just how bloody good he was at his best.
Aka was a freak, no doubt. He could do things nobody else could but if you wanted someone to win you a game of footy, it's James all day long and then some.

If Hird had of been fit his entire career, he would have won 3 to 4 brownlows, he was just a freak of a footballer, right up there wih Ablett and Carey as the best footballers I have ever seen.

Totally off subject Dogs supporter having a whinge...
Hird was actually lucky to win the Brownlow in 1996. Played last game of the year against Bulldogs and the Bombers got up by 3 points.
Grant = 24 disposals and 2 goals (by all reports best on ground)
Hird = 30 disposals and no goals
Hird gets the 3 votes and wins the Brownlow while Grant gets the 2 votes and comes second. This was back in the day when the 3 vote getter was always in the winning team. If the Dogs got up Grant would have shared it with Voss.

Back