January 26

Should the celebration of January 26 cease?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most euro nations can speak fluent English.

Plus the economic opportunities of speaking English as your primary language are overhyped especially after the UK committed national seppuku in 2016. UK is 17th on GDP per capita of all euro nations, behind other colonial nations like France, Netherlands and Belgium.
UK is actually recovering quicker than expected and has a higher per capita gdp in 2023 than France, Belgium etc

Unlike another major country whose narcisst leader has them on a path to ruin undoing the reforms of his predecessors that had been improving the lives of so many.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

UK is actually recovering quicker than expected and has a higher per capita gdp in 2023 than France, Belgium etc

Pull the other one bro, even the Tories now admit Brexit was national seppuku. Of course they’ll blame it on the EU for not giving the UK everything they wanted but that’s nonsense:

To link it back to Jan 26 why should Australia continue to follow in the footsteps of this failed state? Why not forge our own path?

To link it back to Jan 26 why should Australia continue to follow in the footsteps of this failed state? Why not forge our own path?

Seeing we're totally politically and legally independent of the United Kingdom, we are forging our own path.

Seeing we're totally politically and legally independent of the United Kingdom, we are forging our own path.

Except for the flag, the head of state, the currency, the national day, the numerous references to the UK crown in the constitution, the Royal gossip plastered all over Australian media…..

Pull the other one bro, even the Tories now admit Brexit was national seppuku. Of course they’ll blame it on the EU for not giving the UK everything they wanted but that’s nonsense:

I opposed Brexit because the Tories would inevitably screw it up, plus economic isolationism usually doesn't strengthen countries, but I understand why 'Leave' got up.

The working classes saw their fortunes decline under EU membership. While their declining fortunes were caused by many factors (cough Thatcher cough), it wasn't unreasonable for them to believe that the EU was one of them. So they thought, "things can't be worse under Brexit." They were wrong.

I have been critical of the EU - they're too neoliberal for my tastes - but this goes beyond the scope of this thread.

I'm curious, how many in this thread agree and how many disagree with this statement?

Don't be a fool.
Indigenous people never owned this country and never will.

What you and your lefty woke friends are doing is being decisive and putting one group of people as more important than others.
They aren't, and never will be.
I'm not allowed to quote across boards, but interested to know the mix.

but I understand why 'Leave' got up.

Leave got up because after decades of Tory austerity and poor economic management that had destroyed the working class the working class fell for the Tory lie that their poverty was due to another poor Polish migrant rather than the Eton educated fat cats who stole money from them in the first place.

Using racial dogwhistling and fake patriotism to distract the masses about who’s really responsible for their lot in life is a common thread between the Tories and the LNP. That’s why Dutton started the “boycott Woolies” campaign on the same day an inquiry into price gouging was launched.

I'm curious, how many in this thread agree and how many disagree with this statement?

I'm not allowed to quote across boards, but interested to know the mix.

If that poster thinks he’s a genius maybe he can distinguish between “decisive” and “divisive”.

Except for the flag,

The flag has little to do with our total political and legal independence of the United Kingdom. Change the flag tomorrow and the political and legal situation remains unchanged.

the head of state,

The Crown of Australia is legally separate to the Crown of the United Kingdom. Were the UK to become a republic tomorrow, that would not alter our own constitutional status as a constitutional monarchy.
the currency,

Australian currency. Using Australian currency in the UK would get you nowhere.
the national day,

January 26th. Arrival of the First Fleet with the establishment of the first settlement in Australia. Also the day Australian citizenship came into being.
the numerous references to the UK crown in the constitution,

The Australian Crown. The monarch is part of the Parliament (section 1), and is empowered to appoint the Governor-General as their representative (section 2). The executive power of the Commonwealth is vested in the monarch and is exercisable by the Governor-General as their representative (section 61).

The Australia Acts terminated the power of the United Kingdom to legislate for Australia and the Crowns were legally separated by the Statute of Westminster,. Hence, any changes made by British law to the succession to the British Crown would not affect the Act of Settlement or the Bill of Rights to the extent that they form part of Australian law.

the Royal gossip plastered all over Australian media…..

That would likely continue irrespective of whether we became a republic.

The flag has little to do with our total political and legal independence of the United Kingdom. Change the flag tomorrow and the political and legal situation remains unchanged.

The Crown of Australia is legally separate to the Crown of the United Kingdom. Were the UK to become a republic tomorrow, that would not alter our own constitutional status as a constitutional monarchy.

January 26th. Arrival of the First Fleet with the establishment of the first settlement in Australia. Also the day Australian citizenship came into being.

The Australian Crown. The monarch is part of the Parliament (section 1), and is empowered to appoint the Governor-General as their representative (section 2). The executive power of the Commonwealth is vested in the monarch and is exercisable by the Governor-General as their representative (section 61).

The Australia Acts terminated the power of the United Kingdom to legislate for Australia and the Crowns were legally separated by the Statute of Westminster,. Hence, any changes made by British law to the succession to the British Crown would not affect the Act of Settlement or the Bill of Rights to the extent that they form part of Australian law.

That would likely continue irrespective of whether we became a republic.
When 😉

Symbolically the canton represents dominance and colonial ownership. You know this and I’ve told you multiple times.

No one looks at big ears brother of a pedo and thinks Australia, s59 still gives the crown veto powers. You know this and I’ve told you multiple times.

There’s a British person on every Australian coin. You know this and I’ve told you multiple times.

There were settlements here before 1788 bro, the word ‘Australia’ wasn’t even in popular use, and the 1949 act only came into being on Jan 26 because that was the anniversary of the first fleet’s arrival. You know this and I’ve told you multiple times.

section 59 bro. You know this and I’ve told you multiple times.

Are you some Monarchist on repeat? I know you love to gish gallop a lot of nonsense in your posts but you can’t change the fact that until the flag, head of state, currency, constitution and national day change we won’t be looked at as a pathetic little offshoot of the now joke country of the UK.

And that’s not even taking into account the reconciliation with indigenous Australians, the need to kick out the U.S. military presence and to embrace our Asian neighbours and emerging Eurasian cultural identity.

We are forging our own path and have been for decades. We have friends from all around the world and are a very diverse nations. We are not perfect but welcome other nationalities much more than some nations that are resistant to change and insist their culture should dominate all.

Symbolically the canton represents dominance and colonial ownership. You know this and I’ve told you multiple times.

No one looks at big ears brother of a pedo and thinks Australia, s59 still gives the crown veto powers. You know this and I’ve told you multiple times.

There’s a British person on every Australian coin. You know this and I’ve told you multiple times.

There were settlements here before 1788 bro, the word ‘Australia’ wasn’t even in popular use, and the 1949 act only came into being on Jan 26 because that was the anniversary of the first fleet’s arrival. You know this and I’ve told you multiple times.

Are you some Monarchist on repeat? I know you love to gish gallop a lot of nonsense in your posts but you can’t change the fact that until the flag, head of state, currency, constitution and national day change we won’t be looked at as a pathetic little offshoot of the now joke country of the UK.

And that’s not even taking into account the reconciliation with indigenous Australians, the need to kick out the U.S. military presence and to embrace our Asian neighbours and emerging Eurasian cultural identity.
Unfortunately due to the nutter in charge of the great nation of China, we like many of our ASEAN friends (such as Phillipines, Vietnam and Indonesia) nations need to strengthen our military and economic ties with nations like the US to resist his increasing aggression.

should happen soon, the way he his having to imprison former friends and crack down on protests tighter shows he may not even last this five year term despite him setting himself up as the great dictator for life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are forging our own path and have been for decades. We have friends from all around the world and are a very diverse nations. We are not perfect but welcome other nationalities much more than some nations that are resistant to change and insist their culture should dominate all.

Have you been following this debate at all!?!?!?

Unfortunately due to the nutter in charge of the great nation of China, we like many of our ASEAN friends (such as Phillipines, Vietnam and Indonesia) nations need to strengthen our military and economic ties with nations like the US to resist his increasing aggression.

Replacing UK suck ups with US suck ups is another great ‘Aussie’ tradition.

China’s no threat bro. We need to be culturally more towards Asia (including China) than the toilet nations of the UK and US.

And that’s something the Australian public agree with, after they voted out the Anglophile Libs and replaced them with the more multicultural ALP which promised to be more diplomatic towards China.

It was Australians of Chinese heritage who ensured this shift in our foreign policy, and it will be Australians of Chinese heritage who will ensure than any future attempt to stroke Sinophobia for votes will be doomed to electoral oblivion.

I noticed more Aussie flags in yards and on cars this year. Maybe it's simply me paying more attention, or maybe it's people feeling as if they're being told not to celebrate Australia. I don't believe people are being told anything of the sort, but you onow how some react when told what to do.

There's a nasty splinter on that ladder, someone could get hurt!
blackadder goes forth george GIF

And I've told you multiple times what it represents. As I said change the flag tomorrow and it doesn't alter the legal and political status of Australia.

Ive told you multiple times how it works in terms of the monarch and the advice of his Australian ministers.
There’s a British person on every Australian coin.

The King of Australia.
There were settlements here before 1788 bro,

Could you detail these settlements before 1788? There's no doubt the land was occupied.
the word ‘Australia’ wasn’t even in popular use, and the 1949 act only came into being on Jan 26 because that was the anniversary of the first fleet’s arrival.

That is correct. Nonetheless Australian citizenship came into being on January 26th. Personally speaking I don't care if January 26th is changed. Australia became fully independent on March 3rd 1986.

I know what Section 59 is. Would you like me to repeat what I've said about this?
Are you some Monarchist on repeat?

Are you some republican on repeat? I've made no secret of my preference for the system of constitutional monarchy over that of a republic.
I know you love to gish gallop a lot of nonsense in your posts

I've got no doubt you hate being reminded of the facts in regards to Australia's independence as it doesn't support the claims you are making. Australia is a fully independent country politically and legally. I've told you why and how and you simply haven't been able to refute those reasons, other than bringing up mostly totally symbolic examples which if changed tomorrow would make absolutely no difference to the current situation.

but you can’t change the fact that until the flag, head of state, currency, constitution and national day change we won’t be looked at as a pathetic little offshoot of the now joke country of the UK.

In reality Australia is totally independent of the United Kingdom.

Leave got up because after decades of Tory austerity and poor economic management that had destroyed the working class the working class fell for the Tory lie that their poverty was due to another poor Polish migrant rather than the Eton educated fat cats who stole money from them in the first place.

Using racial dogwhistling and fake patriotism to distract the masses about who’s really responsible for their lot in life is a common thread between the Tories and the LNP. That’s why Dutton started the “boycott Woolies” campaign on the same day an inquiry into price gouging was launched.

I said that I understood it, not that I agreed with it.

Would have? They absolutely did. After the fall of Singapore Churchill's response to Curtin was basically fend for yourselves.

It was basically the start of our increasing Americanisation.
The Poms didn’t have close to enough resources to support us in the early 40s. I’d say ditching isn’t the correct term. They had the Nazis on their doorstep.

Ragged trousered philanthropists.

Australia did just vote that our indigenous peoples cannot have a voice whilst we continue to openly support a genocide, so not sure we can judge too much
Doesn't change what is actually happening.

If we accept that it does, well I did neither of those things and disagree with them both so I think I can judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back