Delisted Jed Adcock (2003-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rivalry heating up
8 July 2013
Sam Lord

Jed Adcock believes the ongoing development of the QClash rivalry is creating fiercer contests between the Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast SUNS. There was also no love lost between the teams, which Adcock said should be expected in such a high pressured contest.

“If you want to be the best team in Queensland, you need to put it all on the line,” Adcock told Lions fans in an exclusive post-chat chat on Saturday night. “The first QClash (which we lost) we don't really think about, but we are always cautious because they can very dangerous. “It is always heated against our cross town rivals.”

Adcock also revealed the challenge for his team is to now produce back-to-back wins for the first time this season. “Definitely our goal is to try and give some more consistent performance over the next few weeks.”
Adcock_Fans-hero.jpg

Brisbane Lions co-captain Jed Adcock wary of North Melbourne's fast start
10 July 2013
Greg Davis

IT has been "Groundhog Day'' at the Gabba for too long. Lions co-captain Jed Adcock says it is time to break the vicious cycle that has kept the club in the bottom half of the competition starting with Saturday night's home clash with North Melbourne.

Brisbane's 2013 campaign has mirrored their 2012 season, among others. The Lions beat the teams below them on the ladder, spring the odd upset over a powerhouse and fail to win against the sides around them. Adcock said beating the likes of the Kangaroos had become a focus.
"That's the gap that we've got to close,'' he said. "It (2013) is probably similar to quite a few years now. We haven't been making headway into that group above us. "We've got to start changing that. It's got to change sometime. Hopefully, we can change that this week.''
073528-jed-adcock.jpg

I thought he was unfairly criticised early in the year, when he was solid but not spectacular (I guess it's natural to expect more from your (c) though), but he got better and better as the season went on.

Congratulations to Jed and his wife on having their first baby. A boy named Archie!

Second child lionshine. They have a little girl already.

'gratz Jedda regardless!

Saw him and his very, very heavily pregnant wife at the polling booth on the weekend. She certainly looked ready to go!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fox are re-doing draft rankings from different years at the moment. Was surprised not to see Jed up there given the top 10 below. I would have thought he would be above Dawson, Mclean and Sylvia for sure. Guess its not really a surprise given how unrelevant we are to the media but fairly big oversight to not have him ahead of a few of those guys I think.

OUR Revised TOP 10

1. Adam Cooney (pick 1) - 201 games
2. Heath Shaw (pick 48 - father/son) - 173 games
3. Sam Fisher (pick 55) - 191 games
4. David Mundy (pick 19) - 186 games
5. Brent Stanton (pick 15) - 203 games
6. Zac Dawson (pick 41) - 119 games
7. Andrew Walker (pick 2) - 165 games
8. Beau Waters (pick 11) - 120 games
9. Brock McLean (pick 5) - 141 games
10. Colin Sylvia (pick 3) - 157 games

WHO MISSED OUT?: Daniel Jackson (pick 53), Ben Hudson (pick 58), Michael Rischitelli (pick 61), Shane Tuck (pick 73)

Read more: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/former-collingwood-fatherson-pick-heath-shaw-surges-up-2003-draft-standings/story-e6frf33l-1226758938576#ixzz2kaRiIggm

Fox are re-doing draft rankings from different years at the moment. Was surprised not to see Jed up there given the top 10 below. I would have thought he would be above Dawson, Mclean and Sylvia for sure. Guess its not really a surprise given how unrelevant we are to the media but fairly big oversight to not have him ahead of a few of those guys I think.

OUR Revised TOP 10

1. Adam Cooney (pick 1) - 201 games
2. Heath Shaw (pick 48 - father/son) - 173 games
3. Sam Fisher (pick 55) - 191 games
4. David Mundy (pick 19) - 186 games
5. Brent Stanton (pick 15) - 203 games
6. Zac Dawson (pick 41) - 119 games
7. Andrew Walker (pick 2) - 165 games
8. Beau Waters (pick 11) - 120 games
9. Brock McLean (pick 5) - 141 games
10. Colin Sylvia (pick 3) - 157 games

WHO MISSED OUT?: Daniel Jackson (pick 53), Ben Hudson (pick 58), Michael Rischitelli (pick 61), Shane Tuck (pick 73)

Read more: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/former-collingwood-fatherson-pick-heath-shaw-surges-up-2003-draft-standings/story-e6frf33l-1226758938576#ixzz2kaRiIggm

Yep. Jed deserves to be in there.

Adcock confident ‘homesick’ Lions have been put to bed

James Aish, Darcy Gardiner, Daniel McStay, Lewis Taylor, Tom Cutler and Nick Robertson will all join the team on Wednesday, and vice-captain Jed Adcock said the issue of team loyalty had been spoken about in Arizona.

"Obviously players leaving, we have to address something there," Adcock said.

"It's probably easier when we can talk to welfare and those departments, assistant coaches - it's probably more the leadership group (issue).

"I think if you ask those (traded) players, they all left for different reasons. We don't know the exact reasons … we can just address what we've heard and areas we think we can do better and we'll do that in the next week or two."

The club will hold functions later in the week to welcome the new players, who will all live with their teammates upon arrival.

2013 Review - by Caiphus

Our newly appointed captain had a year to divide opinions like no other on the team.

He played all 22 games for the first time since 2007.

Statistically you would have to say the captaincy agreed with him, but for those who watched his games it was easy to be critical of the way he seemed to take too much responsibility for our forward 50 entries.

He would get the ball quickly into the forward 50, but often he chose contests when it appeared there were better options if he lowered his eyes and picked out a lead.

At the same time, Jed was a big contributor when we managed to get fast movement through the corridor.

He was instrumental in the final play of the “Miracle on Grass” and had what I would consider a very good second half of the season where the only game he didn't score Club Champion votes was against Hawthorn in round 14.

It was a season that also saw Jed play his milestone 150th game against Carlton in round 9, unfortunately the team went down by 13 points.

Jed’s consistency and leadership can’t be underestimated and aside from the first few games of the year he performed better than what could be expected on an individual basis, especially when the whole team was underperforming.

He had some standout performances when the team played poorly, including his 29 disposals and 6 tackles in the round 4 loss to the Kangaroos and his 21 disposal, 8 tackle game against the Swans in round 6.

His best games though really came in the second half when the whole team’s form was greatly improved. Others might point to the wins against the Gold Coast, St Kilda and the Bulldogs where he got 27, 29 and 24 disposals respectively, but I would highlight the round 20 loss against Richmond as one of his best of the year where he only had the ball 18 times but laid seven tackles and the win against the Kangaroos where he had the same number of disposals but two goal assists.

Jed is one of those players who no one expects to be absolutely elite, but will get heavily criticised for anything less than a very good performance.

He is definitely one of the few A-graders in our team and will look better as the side improves in general.

It remains to be seen if he continues to be one of our most important players under Leppa but on the strength of his 2013 season I believe he should be.

Nice write up Caiphus

I was quite vocal in my disappointment with Adcock at times in 2013, mostly in the first 10 or so rounds. I thought he had two flaws.

The first, as mentioned, is that he tended bomb into the forward line without assessing options. While the idea of "deep entries" has gained traction in recent years, we simply didn't have the personnel to take pack marks or even cause a front and centre spillage. Moreover, it was predictable, allowing the opposition defence to double back knowing that shorter options wouldn't be used. That created a numerical mismatch at the spillage and we were regularly burned on the rebound.

The second flaw was that, as a spare man in defence, he wasn't positioning himself well enough to either cut off forward entries or to become the third man up at a marking contest. To me, he was often in the wrong spot when the opposition delivered the ball inside 50. When he didn't have to be accountable for a direct opponent, it was incumbent on him to help out his teammates. Compared to when a player like Patfull was the spare man, I didn't think Adcock was all that effective at intercepting or spoiling.

To me, the strongest evidence that he wasn't playing the spare man role all that effectively in the first hald of the year is that oppositions rarely felt the need to shut him down. That kind of indicates that they didn't see him too big an offensive or defensive threat.

However, I certainly felt that he improved in both areas as the season wore on. He mixed up his delivery inside 50 a bit more, which created just enough uncertainty in opponents. That made the long bomb a lot more effective when he used it. And I thought he played a smarter role down back in terms of interception/3rd man up, albeit that he appeared to have a direct opponent more often than he did in the first half of the year.

I wouldn't like to say that Adcock struggled with leadership at first. But I did sometimes leave games with the impression that he was a little too focused on what others were doing and not enough on his game. Like anyone, I think it took him a little time to adjust to the captaincy. But I reckon he definitely improved as the season wore on, to the point that I was very happy with his late season form.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-01-23/adcock-appointed-captain

The Brisbane Lions today announced the appointment of Jed Adcock as the Club’s Captain for 2014.
Adcock, who was last year inducted as a Life Member of the Club, will take the reigns as sole Captain having previously shared the captaincy duties with Jonathan Brown in 2013.
Midfielder Tom Rockliff was also unveiled as the Club’s Vice-Captain, whilst Daniel Rich, Joel Patfull and Daniel Merrett will take up roles as Deputy Vice Captains.
The structure was finalised earlier this week during a leadership conference in Noosa involving core Senior players.
Senior Coach Justin Leppitsch said that the new leadership model was a good fit for the Club.
“Jed has demonstrated outstanding leadership over his time at the Lions, and most specifically last season as a Co-Captain,” Leppitsch said.
“He is an excellent representative of this footy Club, and it’s culture and values. Jed is a great on-field leader, but just as importantly he sets a great example off it too.
“Whilst we’d love to have Browny around forever, that’s just not possible and by him standing down from the Captaincy, it provides us with a great opportunity to develop our emerging leaders.
“It is also a fantastic opportunity for Tom Rockliff as Vice-Captain, at just 23 years of age, to really step up and continue to grow as a leader.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back