Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

A set shot at goal is like the easiest part of playing football.

These guys can nail insane passes across the body under physical pressure, yet a 30m kick to a 10m wide target is tricky?

You can guarantee they aren't missing a 40m kick to a guy standing on his own by 10 metres. Maybe 1 time out of 100.

Flawed kicking actions aside, it's entirely mental. Ken has probably been whispering in Marshall's ears about how tricky it is.

A set shot at goal is like the easiest part of playing football.

These guys can nail insane passes across the body under physical pressure, yet a 30m kick to a 10m wide target is tricky?

You can guarantee they aren't missing a 40m kick to a guy standing on his own by 10 metres. Maybe 1 time out of 100.

Flawed kicking actions aside, it's entirely mental. Ken has probably been whispering in Marshall's ears about how tricky it is.
If Marshall has a hip issue it would explain the yips, passing off and the reluctance to really follow through.

Guys kicking around the corner on set shots beyond 25 metres give me the shits tbh

The other one that's crept in since the stand rule is players taking a last second sidestep as they're about to kick a set shot - supposedly so they can kick around the player on the mark, but it just seems to upset their rhythm and balance.

Yeah you're right, Charlie Curnow's not up to it because he doesn't kick set shots with the technique you like, should be delisted.

Anytime I’ve watched Charlie he doesn’t just randomly kick around the corner from basic drop punts so not really sure what your comment is about?

Nothing more painful than watching a player completely screw up a basic drop punt by going around the corner because they don’t know how to kick a straight drop punt. It’s basic u10s skills.

Jeremy Finlayson.... needs to wake up....

Traffic Light Stop GIF by The Masked Singer UK & The Masked Dancer UK

Guys kicking around the corner on set shots beyond 25 metres give me the shits tbh
How many times has Finlayson now tried snap shots from 40-50m out on the boundary.

ITS NOT GOING TO WORK YOU PEANUT. Drove me insane watching him line up that snap from 50 in the pocket on the weekend. Absolutely kidding himself.

Just such a stupid low percentage play.

Is this the elephant in the room? Has his form dropped after Kellie’s great news? Ms V has part of her work in mental health, hypotheses now his personal life is settled football isn’t the distraction he could immerse himself in & get immediate positive reinforcement.
Not saying at all we wish he should be in his previous predicament but cause & effect and all?
Anyone else in MH who may add some extra here?

How many times has Finlayson now tried snap shots from 40-50m out on the boundary.

ITS NOT GOING TO WORK YOU PEANUT. Drove me insane watching him line up that snap from 50 in the pocket on the weekend. Absolutely kidding himself.

Just such a stupid low percentage play.
Agree, he's really starting to annoy me & I've been a massive fan. Needs to get his head back in the game & stop stupid attemps at goals. He's a different player atm. Was hunched over for at least half the game looking totally gassed and/or injured. We really need him to recapture his form.

If only we had an ex player, recently retired, who was a brilliant set shot kick and has offered multiple times his assistance for goalkicking...
Yeh, good point, I wonder if John Butcher is available.

Still think he should be played as an on-baller, not a ruckman or #1 forward. He's very clean with ground balls, fast, good lateral movement and a skilled kick. Plus his height offers a marking advantage around the ground.

Sure have him forward as a third tall but mix it up and create mismatches with his height.

Still think he should be played as an on-baller, not a ruckman or #1 forward. He's very clean with ground balls, fast, good lateral movement and a skilled kick. Plus his height offers a marking advantage around the ground.

Sure have him forward as a third tall but mix it up and create mismatches with his height.
Westhoff4wing is back!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt his form has dropped off somewhat in the last few weeks.

He started kicking around the corner earlier in the year when he was struggling with set shots. That worked for him when he was 30 metres out from goal or so. Now he has taken it to extremes where he tries to go around the body when he is too far out.

If someone told me thought at the beginning of the year, given his personal roller coaster ride, that he would be our highest goalscorer averaging nearly 2 goals a game and an assist, whilst usually playing the role of 2nd ruck averaging a couple of clearances a game, I would have been stoked. He is usually a good set shot but this year his radar has been a bit off with 42 GA% . I do hope he can get his kicking boots on for the finals ahead. Save the Stevie J stuff for when he is closer to goal if that is how he is comfortable kicking at goal.

I do like the idea of trying him in a more Westhoff type role as Ford Fairlane suggested.

I find it difficult to be critical of his season, and have a lot of patience with him given his situation. To be our most prolific forward while being 2nd ruck and coping with a 26yo terminally ill wife and an infant child at home is a special kind of effort. I couldn't have blamed him for being a fringe player this season with the mental strain he must be under.

He plays like a 6"0 who happens to be 6"6, mostly moving in an arc rather than straight. Has that one move in ruck which is to pull his opponent out before grabbing and booting.

The other one that's crept in since the stand rule is players taking a last second sidestep as they're about to kick a set shot - supposedly so they can kick around the player on the mark, but it just seems to upset their rhythm and balance.
The Collingwood guys seem to know how to do that kick properly . Most just kick to the angle they run out on

That play where rioli grabs the ball and turns and finny just smashes it out of his hands like a toddler cracking a tantrum cause their brother picked up the toy they wanted.

Lol. Was just bizarre. The exact type of goals rioli kicks too. What a brain fart. Went from having a great season to completely vacant upstairs in the blink of an eye. Don’t know whether it’s behind the scenes stuff that admittedly would affect the best of us or it’s just the kind of player he always has been.

Finlayson had a shocker but he's not looked himself for a number of weeks. He's a big part of our team and someone who ignites us when he's up and going but he's a shell of himslf at the moment. I hope and pray that his wife and family are getting the support they need. Maybe Jeremy needs to take some time out and not have the pressure of having to perform at footy when there are more important things on his plate. Love him as a player and a bloke but he's not up to it at the moment.

I hope things at home are okay under the circumstances.

Onfield he's being coming across differently lately, for mine. Not working as hard, a bit demanding and critical of teammates at times, and just not really delivering.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back