Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

Pulled a Grundy, but won the game.
FyLln_gacAEXQ0s

Given I'm here to support Jezza this year (as per our draft at the start of the season), I thought I'd better put a bit of love here today! What a cracker of a game last night - kicking another four goals. He is having his best season of footy, despite difficult times in his personal life. Well done Jeremy and keep up the great work. Enjoy the break and get back to it, ready to crack AA :cool:

Given I'm here to support Jezza this year (as per our draft at the start of the season), I thought I'd better put a bit of love here today! What a cracker of a game last night - kicking another four goals. He is having his best season of footy, despite difficult times in his personal life. Well done Jeremy and keep up the great work. Enjoy the break and get back to it, ready to crack AA :cool:

Finlayson is a huge competitor.

He and Dixon have a pretty good rapport on the field too. They were both visibly livid at how a few of the Geelong goals came about in the first half, sometimes from their own mistakes. They had a rant, then got each other focused. Was interesting to watch.

Jezza is in all Oz form. If they picked the mid season 40 man squad, he probably is in it.

I thought he was a handy pick up, given we lost Ladhams, but thought he might inhibit one or two of Marshall's, Georgiades' or Lord's progress in getting games if we played him too often and he was only an average contributor.

He has gone way past being an average contributor since mid last season, when we asked him to also play as the 2nd ruck. He is playing better footy than he played in the second half of 2019 for the GWS when he was an important part of them moving up the ladder and playing in the GF that year.

His contested marking and kicking for goal has improved. Although those couple of weeks against North and Essendon he was shaky like his old form and kicked 4.9. In all other games this year he has kicked 24.9

I suspect his situation with Kellie's health is driving him and helping him achieve these higher standards.

I was totally stoked when we picked him up, as he was rated as an elite forward while at GWS. AND I SAY, ELITE. Did wonder where he would fit in and was surprised when he seemed to be underperforming at first - thought he had trouble fitting in but I didn’t know about his wife - and was sure he would come good. Totally happy and will be an important part of our premiership tilt.

Jay Schulz 2.0
The absolute dumb luck we've had with trading in cheap KPF's over the last 15 years has probably earned us quite a few extra ladder positions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what he was like at GWS. He came to Port and lost his radar a bit - hopefully he can keep it going.

Every set shot for goal he is kicking around his body Stevie J style which he didn't do at GWS. Even when he is on a slight angle. Still its working for him so no real need to change it as long as he is only about 40m out from goal. Revisit his drop punt set shots in the preseason.

Great player. A swiss army knife - can play every single position on the ground well.

I feel that he and SPP are the heart of the team at the moment and the two we could least afford to lose.

He's an upgraded Justin Westhoff. I loved Westy, but Fin is just a bit more polished in everything he does.
mmmm, nah I think Westhoff in good form was really good. Only difference is goal kicking where Hoff was notoriously bad.

Nice , I actually don’t mind Cornsey on Conversations , All the best to her , hope she pulls through . She sounds like a bit of a pocket dynamo when fit
I haven’t listened to this yet, but I'm the same with G Cornes, his “Conversations” pieces are often pretty good, unfortunately the rest ……..🫤

mmmm, nah I think Westhoff in good form was really good. Only difference is goal kicking where Hoff was notoriously bad.

Lol I remember him having a couple of games where he looked like the best player in the comp. Like 30 odd touches, 12 marks, floating all over the ground taking defensive marks at CHB then bobbing up forward. His best was pretty good

Westhoff was one of the many whose goal kicking was better if he didn’t have time to think about it .
I reckon Finlayson is proving more consistent and reliable though , he seems to do some good work every week and can play at speed , he doesn’t get lost in traffic . He’s not super well built but uses his height well .

Harder the kick was the better Westy was. Highly skilled player but often I thought he didn't play with the aggression required to succeed at Afl level. The exception being his B&F year when he was fantastic. Think Finlayson has had 2 good years for us so far after slow starts for well documented reasons. Such an important player for us, can play anywhere & highly skilled. Can be a match winner.

Westhoff was one of the many whose goal kicking was better if he didn’t have time to think about it .
I reckon Finlayson is proving more consistent and reliable though , he seems to do some good work every week and can play at speed , he doesn’t get lost in traffic . He’s not super well built but uses his height well .
Just read this, my thoughts exactly. Just forgot to mention Findlaysons speed which is superb for his height.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back