John Gerovich and THAT mark in the 1956 Preliminary Final derby

Remove this Banner Ad

Ray French.

The great thing about Gero and his many insane marks was the nickname given to him by the press of the time: "The Human Astronaut"

A couple of Russian dogs aside, how many astronauts aren't human?

Sparky the space chimp. I'm sure I read about him in Grade 1. He loved eating bananas.

Seriously there was a chimp called "Ham" on one of the early Mercury missions. Very early sixties.

Pretty sure there was a cat as well on another mission.

"Sparky the space chimp" Now that takes me back Blocker. Grade 1, too many years ago. The cover of that book was green from memory. But there again green could be the reason I cant remember!

Originally posted by The Mission Man
Ray French.

The great thing about Gero and his many insane marks was the nickname given to him by the press of the time: "The Human Astronaut"

A couple of Russian dogs aside, how many astronauts aren't human?
As of 1956, all of 'em. In fact, I don't think even Sputnik had made it up by then.

PS: The Right Stuff - great book, great fillum.

Carneagles,

just under your name, can you consider changing it to "...Now, squeal like a pig..."?

Though the mark of Gero over Ray French is now folk law in Western Australian football an still considered one of the best marks ever taken in AUSSIE RULES(NOT AFL as some people refer to it),I believe he took one even better.It was against The Garlic Munchers,and over far over the top of John Towner.The experts who saw it said it had to be near enough to the perfect mark.Sitting on shoulders with one knee,hands out front and ball taken in front of the eyes.
AGH Gero what a legend.
Glad to have had the priveledge to have seen him play and meet him.
Great player great man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by |D_J^B_J|
Ah, yes, Ray French.

Thanks for that.

I've got a book with that photograph in it and the text next to it reads.......

John Gerovich(South Fremantle) takes his famous mark over Ray French (East Fremantle). French was later to die in a tragic accident.

Originally posted by Leaping Lindner
I've got a book with that photograph in it and the text next to it reads.......

John Gerovich(South Fremantle) takes his famous mark over Ray French (East Fremantle). French was later to die in a tragic accident.

I vaguely remember hearing that as well (can't remember where), which is why I initially asked the question as I couldn't remember what his first name was. I searched the internet for information regarding French's death, but couldn't find anything. Does the book give any information regarding the date and cause of his death?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back