Johntone A saint?

Remove this Banner Ad

I recall a few years back ex Melbourne coach Neil Daniher was asked on radio why a player with Johnstone's obvious talent never really hit the heights expected. Daniher relayed a story - he asked Johnson and another young player (whose name I don’t recall) how they spent the day before coming to training. Johnson described how he got out of bed around lunchtime, played PS2 for a few hours then slipped down the TAB for a punt before heading off the training. The other one said he woke early, did Pilates and some other rehab, then had a meeting with the club dietician on his way to Uni. After a couple of lectures he studied for a few hours then arrived at the Junction early to fit in a light weights and stretching session before training started. Pretty much says it all.

I recall a few years back ex Melbourne coach Neil Daniher was asked on radio why a player with Johnstone's obvious talent never really hit the heights expected. Daniher relayed a story - he asked Johnson and another young player (whose name I don’t recall) how they spent the day before coming to training. Johnson described how he got out of bed around lunchtime, played PS2 for a few hours then slipped down the TAB for a punt before heading off the training. The other one said he woke early, did Pilates and some other rehab, then had a meeting with the club dietician on his way to Uni. After a couple of lectures he studied for a few hours then arrived at the Junction early to fit in a light weights and stretching session before training started. Pretty much says it all.

If only they had on-line betting in those days he could have been a star. :D
( I wonder if the other player is still playing though - talent is talent ).

It sort of reminds me of university days. I sort of waltzed through an Engineering degree, whithout really getting super marks. ( I sort of empathise with Johnstone here - I used to take off windsurfing instead of going to lectures - and they had invented great new video games, galaga was so much better than pacman. ) Others studied their guts out and didn't do any better than I did.

Its the ones who had the brains and did the work that went on to get the great jobs or go on and get doctorates and masters degrees and so on.

Take note kiddies, whatever you do, you need to apply yourself. Then again Johnston has probably got a good nest egg and can spend the rest of his life on the playstation sigh.

If only they had on-line betting in those days he could have been a star. :D
( I wonder if the other player is still playing though - talent is talent ).

It sort of reminds me of university days. I sort of waltzed through an Engineering degree, whithout really getting super marks. ( I sort of empathise with Johnstone here - I used to take off windsurfing instead of going to lectures - and they had invented great new video games, galaga was so much better than pacman. ) Others studied their guts out and didn't do any better than I did.

Its the ones who had the brains and did the work that went on to get the great jobs or go on and get doctorates and masters degrees and so on.

Take note kiddies, whatever you do, you need to apply yourself. Then again Johnston has probably got a good nest egg and can spend the rest of his life on the playstation sigh.

I think the player ND was comparing him to was one of their top liners but I can’t recall who it was. His point was that Johnstone had so much talent he could have been anything with even a moderate level of commitment. Actually I don’t think he has all that much to show for being a # 1 draft pick and 12 years as an AFL player. I believe the Melbourne FC punters curse got the better of him for a while.

I understand he suffers from a dietary ailment, which makes it difficult for him to get the correct nutrition for a game and affects his energy levels. Not many people are aware of its effect. Has done well to forge a career for this long.

I'd take him. His kicking efficiency must be high which is what we need. He'd be good for one yr or two

... that Johnstone is living the dream?

:p

pick him up for dirt cheap, tell him to work his ass off and chuck him on a forward flank. i could see him doing some damage

Would he care?

He may do if he knows it's his last chance. Definitely has the skill to be a good player, just a matter of him having the workrate and desire.

Lyon has shown he can get the best out of recycled players and we have a pretty strong leadership group too, so hopefully we can get the best out of him if we pick him up. Both Ray and Peake had big question marks on them when they arrived but have improved significantly since being at the club.

I understand he suffers from a dietary ailment, which makes it difficult for him to get the correct nutrition for a game and affects his energy levels. Not many people are aware of its effect. Has done well to forge a career for this long.

Maybe we shouldn't include a bag of chips in the deal, then.

He may do if he knows it's his last chance. Definitely has the skill to be a good player, just a matter of him having the workrate and desire.

Lyon has shown he can get the best out of recycled players and we have a pretty strong leadership group too, so hopefully we can get the best out of him if we pick him up. Both Ray and Peake had big question marks on them when they arrived but have improved significantly since being at the club.

Last paragraph is a big reason as to why we should pick him up if that presented itself. Both those two were good at either running or winning the footy but lacked completeness to their game. (Using it, or winning contested ball etc.) You'd back Lyon in to ensure he plays a role, he wouldn't be a failure. Even guys like McQaulter, Eddy and Dawson have invigorated themselves under Lyon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard Johnstone's girlfriend liked his beard. If that means he'll play better with the beard, then by all means, keep the damn beard.

As long as the trend doesn't catch on. One beard is enough.

I heard Johnstone's girlfriend liked his beard. If that means he'll play better with the beard, then by all means, keep the damn beard.

As long as the trend doesn't catch on. One beard is enough.

Mini can bring back the mo, they can be like bro's. :thumbsu:

I can assure you that all Dees supporters are more than happy with the trade.
It was an excellent trade at the time, and I do rate Grimes, but if he can't get his body right then it's a three-way wash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back