News Jurrah quits MFC

Remove this Banner Ad

So according to news reports prosecution witnesses (at least one) changing their story and saying that their statements to police were made under pressure from the police officers (repeatedly asking the same questions until they got the answers they wanted was given as an example).

So the story's gone from this in Monday's paper [taken from the pre-trial statements the press somehow got a hold of]:
"Former AFL footballer Liam Jurrah assaulted his cousin with a weapon and continued hitting him when he was on the ground, causing serious facial and skull lacerations, witnesses are expected to tell his trial... witness Philomena White was expected to say that she saw Jurrah hit Basil Jurrah twice on the head with a weapon during the night in question. Another witness, Ingrid White, would likely testify that Liam Jurrah hit her with a nulla nulla."

To this on Tuesday:
"Ingrid White, who on Tuesday said that Jurrah had struck her on the head with a nulla nulla, said during cross examination she believed the blow was accidental when she came between the former footballer and another man who were fighting."

To this today:
"Former AFL player Liam Jurrah was standing around when his cousin was allegedly seriously injured in a clash, but did not take part in the attack..." "...Basil Jurrah, who was with a rival group, was holding a nulla nulla - a type of traditional Aboriginal club - and a machete..." "...After the group he was with caught up with the alleged victim, Mr Wilson said one man smashed out Basil Jurrah's front teeth using the blunt end of an axe. Mr Wilson said he then tried to stop the group from further hurting Basil Jurrah, but he did not see Liam Jurrah taking part in the attack."

Sounds promising for LJ so far, still a ways to go though.

Sounds like good news. Hope he can sort his s**t out, get the cloud away from over his head and have another crack at football if he wants it.

Yeah I guess it's good for Liam in terms of not getting jail time, but the feud will surely continue for years - especially if the 'other' group isn't happy with whatever the outcome is. Even if he gets off completely I'd be incredibly surprised to see him back on a footy field again.

Glad that he has gotten off, as expected, but I'm not still wishing he was still in our line up simply for the fact that he has some serious family issues to resolve that will take a lot of time, and I think that's more important than footy for him right now. Very happy he has been acquitted though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was going to bump the main board thread and quote some flogs, but reading it again it's such a disgrace I'd rather leave it dead.

would the MFC take him back ? I think he deserves another chance

I think it's a moot point as I don't think he'll come back. His family is in Adelaide and I don't see him going back to the NT anytime soon so I see no reason why he would want to come back to the club. He might want to continue playing AFL footy but it's Port or bust for him.

I know people hate these 'I know someone who knows someone' posts, BUT in saying that, someone that I know, who is/was close to the club, told me, if you had heard or seen the things Liam Jurrah has been through you would be astonished. I still can't get over how some of the people on this board and the main board consistently bag the media (of which I'm completely for),yet are relying solely on what the media portrays for their depictions on Liam Jurrah. It's seriously one of the biggest cop-outs.

I know people hate these 'I know someone who knows someone' posts, BUT in saying that, someone that I know, who is/was close to the club, told me, if you had heard or seen the things Liam Jurrah has been through you would be astonished. I still can't get over how some of the people on this board and the main board consistently bag the media (of which I'm completely for),yet are relying solely on what the media portrays for their depictions on Liam Jurrah. It's seriously one of the biggest cop-outs.

What else do we have to rely on? I think this board in general has been pretty good in the way it has tried not to completely take what the media feeds us, and many have defended him as much as they can on the Main Board. Where else can we pull this info? Calling it a cop-put is crap. We can't all be like you and have "inside info".

C'mon don't be like that CFH, whenever there is a bad article about Melbourne, some of the board tend to get a little defensive, and rightfully so, question the evidence, the quotes of the article etc etc. The same can be said for this whole LJ case. There is so much hearsay BS, all newspaper agencies are completely guessing, changing their story constantly. I do apologise though, cop-out was definitely a poor choice of words, I do find it a little ironic though.

I think it's a moot point as I don't think he'll come back. His family is in Adelaide and I don't see him going back to the NT anytime soon so I see no reason why he would want to come back to the club. He might want to continue playing AFL footy but it's Port or bust for him.

Apparently not...

Jurrah has a plan for his return to top-level football that will take him from his Outback community team, through Darwin and back to Melbourne - if not in the red and blue colours, then at least nearby so he can have the support of his Aboriginal brothers.
"With my trouble that I got into, my Aboriginal brothers and the Melbourne Football Club were very helpful," he said.
"I'd love to thank those brothers - Aaron Davey, Matthew Whelan, Austin Wonaeamirri, Jamie Bennell and Neville Jetta, they are all good friends ... and (Mark) Jamar and Jordy McKenzie."
Jurrah said being disconnected from that group was the single biggest trigger for his fall from AFL star to spending nights on the streets of Adelaide's northern suburbs and days in the city's south parklands and with family members from his Yuendumu clan.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...m-of-playing-afl/story-e6frecjc-1226578908840

In a heartbeat. We could actually just park him forward and give him a licence.

HF: Howe Dawes Sylvia/Tapscott
F: Jurrah Hogan Clark

Unleash the X-factor.

Thought you were after compensation big fella?

Will believe all that when I see it. Call me a pessimist but I stand by my statement that it's Port or bust for him at the minute. Fans and even players might have him back but not sold that Neeld will be all that keen.

I will say I'm more than happy to be wrong though...

would the MFC take him back ? I think he deserves another chance

He's a walking disaster area. He was acquitted, but anyone who thinks he was innocent has seriously rosey glasses to view life through. If he gets a second chance it won't be because he deserves it. I wouldn't support him returning to the Dees after the way he turned his back on us without even telling us he was leaving. He just skulked off to Adelaide one day. I think he lacks character.

Thought you were after compensation big fella?

Will believe all that when I see it. Call me a pessimist but I stand by my statement that it's Port or bust for him at the minute. Fans and even players might have him back but not sold that Neeld will be all that keen.

I will say I'm more than happy to be wrong though...

Neeld was pretty sympathetic to Liam IIRC - I think we might be open to a rookie listing, see if he actually wants to come back to the club.

He's a walking disaster area. He was acquitted, but anyone who thinks he was innocent has seriously rosey glasses to view life through. If he gets a second chance it won't be because he deserves it. I wouldn't support him returning to the Dees after the way he turned his back on us without even telling us he was leaving. He just skulked off to Adelaide one day. I think he lacks character.

He was found 'not guilty' - I'm sure he was in a pretty poor mental state at the time, people have done worse under pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back