Rumour Justin Leppitsch and The Players

Remove this Banner Ad

One can't help but think Mayes will play as a forward/mid next year. I think after him almost trying to leavethis year, one of his issues would have been with his positional changes. I think a compromise will be had and if it is, Mayes will have a strong year.

I would certainly give Leppitsch 2016 to prove himself as this year was cruelled by injury, but if significant strides forward aren't made with regards to our win/loss ration, player development and the game plan then it is time to start looking for a replacement.
The Crows were ruthless on the back of a couple of poor, injury plagued seasons getting rid of Sanderson who had almost taken them to Grand Final in 2012- albeit with their list at a different age profile to ours. The Bulldogs won 7 games in 2014 yet terminated a very senior, experienced and respected career coach off the back of player disharmony and average on-field results. McCartney has a better coaching pedigree than Leppitsch, and probably had some pretty bad luck with injuries and a young list too. Neeld and Watters gone after 2 seasons. The list goes on.

My point is that whilst we should certainly support Leppitsch whilst he's in the role, the senior coaching position is, or should be, under some pretty intense scrutiny next season. Whether he likes it or not it is a results driven industry and he needs results. If we were a Victorian based club we would be under the blow torch right now. 1 finals appearance in the last 11 seasons isn't acceptable. Whilst there isn't an absolute stand out assistant waiting in the wings at another club, this is pretty much the case anytime a coach gets sacked. How many thought Luke Beveridge commanded a senior role? I've always had concerns that Leppitsch's appointment was a knee jerk reaction made by an incompetent board after the sacking of a Lions legend. They couldn't get Roos as they intended, so put in an ex Lions legend with loosely the right credentials to lessen our anger. Who were the other candidates interviewed? What made Leppitsch stand out from the pack? Was it his people management skills? Was it his tactical understanding of the game? Most of the old boards decisions smacked of ineptitude, lets hope Leppitsch's appointment was a rare moment of clear thinking.

In 2013 Voss had us playing some pretty good football with 10 wins. 2014 and 2015 we have a cumulative 11. We haven't progressed from there and whilst the GH5 plays a part in that, there is an argument that some players showing great signs haven't come on. I agree we don't want a revolving senior coach policy, but 2016 is Leppitsch's chance to prove he deserves to be there. I have a feeling that this time next year we will be ushering in a new coach, but I would love to be proved wrong because it would surely mean we have enjoyed some solid on-field success.

McCartney walked.

So Leppa has one year to run on his contract, a contract extension has been put on hold. I start a thread who will be the next Lions coach and it gets deleted. Ok so Leppa is the coach till the end of time. Nice work mod. Lol

So Leppa has one year to run on his contract, a contract extension has been put on hold. I start a thread who will be the next Lions coach and it gets deleted. Ok so Leppa is the coach till the end of time. Nice work mod. Lol
Perhaps that's because it was an utterly pointless thread.
Sure leppa has things to work on and needs to turn things around next year, but that is a VERY long way from an imminent sacking where you might start discussing coaching options. Certainly doesn't warrant it's own thread.

How's it utterly pointless, sadly Justin will not coach the Brisbane Lions forever. And we all know his contract talks have been put on hold. It sucks, but sadly football is a results oriented business. I hope he can pull it off, just does not look good. Especially with the fixture we are looking at for the coming season.

How's it utterly pointless, sadly Justin will not coach the Brisbane Lions forever. And we all know his contract talks have been put on hold. It sucks, but sadly football is a results oriented business. I hope he can pull it off, just does not look good. Especially with the fixture we are looking at for the coming season.

Its got nothing to do with some notion that Leppa will 'coach forever'. The appropriate time to have a discussion about 'the next coach of the Brisbane Lions' will be when Leppa is no longer our coach. Having that discussion now is completely pointless.

Having a discussion like the one in the current thread is far more appropriate.

Of course he won't coach forever - but it is a ridiculous leap from that to starting a thread about the next coach, as evidenced by the fact your 2nd thread was also deleted. He is a long way from being sacked right now so pointless talking about replacement

Maybe dimma and Dustin Martin assaulted him so he changed clubs?

Trolliest troll that somehow turns up in Brisbane threads all the time. Perfectly named though - an equally big waste of space as his namesake.

I have to say this:
I'm a big defender of Leppa.... But wasn't a fan of his opening snipets shown from his address to the player upon their return (shown on Lions site).

He spoke about this time being a chance to get ahead of the players around you and sort of mentioned other teams also....

But he really positioned the major competition they face is each other. Doesn't really help the "family" philosophy.

Maybe too sensitive here.... as this is a reality..... But just didn't feel totally right to me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to say this:
I'm a big defender of Leppa.... But wasn't a fan of his opening snipets shown from his address to the player upon their return (shown on Lions site).

He spoke about this time being a chance to get ahead of the players around you and sort of mentioned other teams also....

But he really positioned the major competition they face is each other. Doesn't really help the "family" philosophy.

Maybe too sensitive here.... as this is a reality..... But just didn't feel totally right to me

Using the family analogy - nothing wrong with a bit of sibling rivalry!

*nods*

Don't we keep talking about how good for the team it is to have competition for spots? After all they *can't* all play and before you get to take on the opposition you have to be selected and that means your main competition *is* the guy sitting next to you!

Exactly. I've tried to get my sister delisted for years!

I have to say this:

Would imagine similar things get said at every club. Professional elite sporting environments. Have to find a balance between building the team ethos and ensuring each individual is incredibly motivated.

The only way I've stayed on the list is by mowing my dad's lawn.

So long as you only mow his lawn and not cut his grass, that's acceptable.

Would imagine similar things get said at every club. Professional elite sporting environments. Have to find a balance between building the team ethos and ensuring each individual is incredibly motivated.

Yep. If you've got 40 odd players it's an incredibly hard thing to manage. Anyone on here that employs 10/20+ staff will know the feeling.

Its got nothing to do with some notion that Leppa will 'coach forever'. The appropriate time to have a discussion about 'the next coach of the Brisbane Lions' will be when Leppa is no longer our coach. Having that discussion now is completely pointless.

Having a discussion like the one in the current thread is far more appropriate.
I'm pretty sure the appropriate time to talk about sacking the coach is when finish 2nd last.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back