Kennett calls for electronic voting

Remove this Banner Ad

We should be voting electronically. It would save money, time, paper waste and speed up the time in deciding the outcome.

We should be voting electronically. It would save money, time, paper waste and speed up the time in deciding the outcome.
... And open the door to possible vote manipulation and fraud...

I have concerns about it, but I don't necessarily disagree with what you say, just don't trust that nobody will try and manipulate it...

... And open the door to possible vote manipulation and fraud...

I have concerns about it, but I don't necessarily disagree with what you say, just don't trust that nobody will try and manipulate it...

They could set fire to a few million paper slips and who would ever know? how this hasn't already happened i have no idea. Get it done now and obviously retain paper votes for those unwilling or unable to vote electronically. we're going to end up with *******s in office anyway, at least install them electronically.

They could set fire to a few million paper slips and who would ever know? how this hasn't already happened i have no idea. Get it done now and obviously retain paper votes for those unwilling or unable to vote electronically. we're going to end up with *******s in office anyway, at least install them electronically.
Given the American experience, we should be smart enough to steer clear of this.

Given the American experience, we should be smart enough to steer clear of this.

or, given the American experience we should be better at it. It's what computers were designed for, to reduce costs of laborious, repetitive calculations. why use human labour to do what computers can do faster and more accurately. There are very few security measures in place at polling booths, i don't see how computer security will be any less secure.

or, given the American experience we should be better at it. It's what computers were designed for, to reduce costs of laborious, repetitive calculations. why use human labour to do what computers can do faster and more accurately. There are very few security measures in place at polling booths, i don't see how computer security will be any less secure.
Since when have we (our government, not industry) been better at anything technical.

We will buy from the dodge companies as the yanks, for similar reasons.

have you seen some of the people employed to count votes? I really think the difference between human and computer error would be minimal and the cost savings worthwhile. If we can trust electronic systems with our banking and numerous other systems i reckon we could cast votes the same way.

have you seen some of the people employed to count votes? I really think the difference between human and computer error would be minimal and the cost savings worthwhile. If we can trust electronic systems with our banking and numerous other systems i reckon we could cast votes the same way.
We have one of the most reliable electoral systems in the world.

On the flipside, the most widespread use of electronic voting booths has been fraught with corruption, fraud and technical stuff ups. No thanks.

Anyway, if Kennett wants electronic voting, there is an ulterior motive.

On the flipside, the most widespread use of electronic voting booths has been fraught with corruption, fraud and technical stuff ups. No thanks.

At what cost though? So much what we do day to day could potentially be more reliable if it was completely controlled by humans. My point is thought, that if we are happy for computers to look after our banking, communication, welfare, medical and numerous other systems, why is the line drawn at voting?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At what cost though? So much what we do day to day could potentially be more reliable if it was completely controlled by humans. My point is thought, that if we are happy for computers to look after our banking, communication, welfare, medical and numerous other systems, why is the line drawn at voting?
Cost/benefit for voting is stacked in favor of reliability.

One big stuff up and it will come, undermines the integrity of the whole system. What we have works mostly, better than nearly any other place in the world.

I don't like the idea of electronic voting as it could be rigged. While the normal way it is done could be rigged also, I believe there would be a higher chance of rigged online voting.

Cost/benefit for voting is stacked in favor of reliability.

One big stuff up and it will come, undermines the integrity of the whole system. What we have works mostly, better than nearly any other place in the world.

I do get your reservations but i'm still on the other side of the argument. I guess like the voting process itself, until the majority changes the old system will remain. all good by me.

Well there is still the chance of rigging a paper vote election.

What if the votes 'went missing' on purpose?

Possible I suppose, but it's unlikely both sets of scrutineers will agree to that, and when they seal them up, they record how many ballots there are, so it's reasonably secure.

Anyway, if Kennett wants electronic voting, there is an ulterior motive.

I base a lot of my judgements on thinking the opposite to kennet. So he is useful

Started when he declared hawthorn needed to merge to survive

Remove this Banner Ad

Back