Game Day Kenny's Beloved Catters vs The Port Power Cheesy Macs at Pork Barrel Stadium - Woohoo!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Career.

If you don't count Watson you can't count Bartel either.
Bartel and Watson aren't in the same category 😂

Bartel
Mitchell
Cotchin

Cooney
Wines
Priddis

Too young to really remember Woewodin but would have him last

Of course his ranking isn't going to be particularly high. He averages very low minutes for a midfielder and basically plays as a rotation player off the bench. Are people too stupid to realise that you can't have 6 players get 30 possessions each? Rozee, Butters, Horne-Francis and even Drew being given greater midfield minutes and greater responsibility means other players miss out. Would you rather have 30 possessions from Ollie and 20 from Rozee or 30 from Rozee and 20 from Ollie? It just is what it is. And if there's some amazing young midfielder being kept out by Ollie being a role player I'd love to know who they are.

Of course his ranking isn't going to be particularly high. He averages very low minutes for a midfielder and basically plays as a rotation player off the bench. Are people too stupid to realise that you can't have 6 players get 30 possessions each? Rozee, Butters, Horne-Francis and even Drew being given greater midfield minutes and greater responsibility means other players miss out. Would you rather have 30 possessions from Ollie and 20 from Rozee or 30 from Rozee and 20 from Ollie? It just is what it is. And if there's some amazing young midfielder being kept out by Ollie being a role player I'd love to know who they are.

The only midfielder who could potentially justify getting more time ahead of Ollie is Mead. I think a more balanced midfield would be Rozee, JHF, Butters and Drew as the 4 primary on ballers, with two traditional wingers as opposed to putting Drew on the wing for large periods of the game.

The midfield balance should be fine tonight because Rozee is out and thus there won't be any "bruiser" forced to play out of position on a wing.

As a realist I dont personally understand this desire to find some obscure justification as to why teams are crap or beatable, despite the reality of their position. The entire board went through the exact same exercise ahead of Collingwood rather than actually consider the context of their season, and we went on to get absolutely hammered by a rising team. Geelong are where they are because they deserve to be. They are a bloody good side and we are where we are because we also deserve to be, and realistically even if we were to use this poor method of justification we're also yet to beat a decent team, and it is highly likely Freo and Essendon will probably both drop out of the 8 by the end of the year.

The reality is, Geelong may not be world beaters, but they've lost 1 game, to a top 4 side by a few points in one of the most insanely skillful and fast games in years, and they also beat the fifth side in Carlton well. They also dealt with the Crows and Brisbane away. They've shown an extreme level of efficiency. We know they have a supremely well drilled defence and insanely good forward mix. They also have a level of pace we don't, and they are riding high on confidence from their fast start to the year where they are also basically injury free. It's also impossible to ignore that they are playing at home where we haven't won in many, many years, without even considering that we have basically been their bunny for decades.

There is a lot to worry about with them and they are a long way beyond us. The only area we could get hold of them is through the middle, however they'll probably park the bus in defence and absolutely tear us to shreds on the counter as the Crows did. If we don't get on top in the middle it'll just be an absolute belting of the highest order, it's the only way we keep it competitive.

So things going for us - it's a game of footy and there's only 2 sides, our midfield if it gets going could cause issues.
Things going against us - our injuries, our gamestyle, our coach, Visentini up against their rucks, their tall forwards, their fast small forwards, their ball movement from defence and the speed of it, it's a night game, we're playing away against a top side, their defence thrives on the kick to Charlie style and their confidence/arrogance and our lack of any.

We will lose. We will lose comfortably.

I hope I'm wrong, I always do, but this isn't a negative view it is just the reality of where both sides are. There's basically nothing going for us in this one. Geelong should be seeking a percentage booster.
I didn't say they are crap but i reckon Geelong have had a pretty cruisey draw so far, i personally don't have them in my top 4 at seasons end. They are around 5th or 6th for me.

I'm pretty realistic, i know our chances are slim but some of the talk about 119 point losses and similar are way over the top and not realistic in my opinion. And I'd rather talk about how we can beat them rather joining in on all the negativity.

It's what we are all critical of Hinkley doing is talking up the opposition and providing a list of pre-game excuses and reasons for why we are up against it (shit in other words) but that's what the majority do on here.

On paper i still think we match up okay against them, even with a few out, we are just horribly out of form. But if we play 4 quarters of the footy we are capable of, make better use of chances, we can absolutely win. Geelong is also a team that has had the wood on us over the journey but it's been close to 50/50 over the last 5 seasons, and the games we've lost haven't been blowouts except that one at Metricon in 2020.

Around a 30 point loss is my guess but wouldn't shock me if we won.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's face it, if Adelaide plays a style of game that we can't handle, that's even more so for Geelong.

Again, if we are to win this, something extraordinary happens. It has to be the adoption and perfect execution of a new game plan and/or a couple of our better players going into God-mode. Even then, I would still be backing Geelong.

I will be pissed off if the Club try to use injuries as an excuse for poor performance tonight. Very few of the outs this week are truly in the best 23, and outside of Rozee, the rest are probably in the bottom half of the best 23 anyway.

"As long as Geelong doesn't bring any sort of pressure, we'll be able to move the ball like we know we can and get lots of inside 50s.
We have a record of performing at our best against top 4 teams.
You get what you deserve."

K. Hinkley

Think we'll win. No Bruhn and Dangerfield is rough, i'm guessing thats the majority of their contested ball and clearances.

All set for JHF and Butters, only Kent Hinkley stands in their way.
It will be interesting how Butters performs in his first game as Captain where Scott is planning to tag him.

If you don't have Priddis last your ranking is wrong. He wasn't even good, let alone Brownlow worthy. Poor man's Matt Crouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back