Kntfl

Remove this Banner Ad

Penola's name seems to come up a few times in regards to incidents. Any reason for this?

Just a coincidence in this case.

A loose cannon on either side and it just boiled on from there.

No denying they are a great team though. 101 point win in the end and we were never in the hunt. specially seeing as the incident was in the first 10 minutes and our ruckman who was sent off could probably place in our best and fairest as it is now, even if he misses the rest of the year.

The first week of the finals brought wins for the 2 lower ranked sides in each of last weekends finals in the Kowree Naracoorte-Tatiara Football League.
Penola won Saturday's Qualifying final against Keith in emphatic fashion in the wet to send a stern warning that they will be hard to stop. The Eagles poor conversion rate in front of goal in the first quarter had them trailing by one point at the first change but they had most of the play. Penola then started to get their motor running as they led by 11 points at half time and really opened up the attack in the second half to run away with the win and book a Second Semi Final place with a 43 point win over Keith.
Adam Merrett walked on water to kick five goals for the Eagles as he proved tough to stop and moved his season tally to a fantastic 113 goals. Matt Willson added two goals of his own as he continues to be a fantastic pick up for the Eagles. Keith had only one multiple goal kicker in Brad King who kicked two goals. Kane Ransom, Spencer Jackman and Jon Copping were great for the Eagles. Hugo Drogemuller, Jonathon and Andrew Wilson were the good players for Keith.
Naracoorte started the Elimination Final in great fashion but the Mundulla Tigers ran over them in the second half to book a First Semi Final berth against Keith this weekend. Naracoorte went in to the game as hot favourites but couldn't live up to the billing as the Tigers just got inspired and ran the game out better. Sam Excell kicked three goals for the Tigers while Boyd Packer, Wade Packer and Jon Mock kicked two goals each to help them get the win. Robbie Jones, Michael Parker and Michael Childs kicked two goals each for the Demons. Jake McGrice, Heath Thorpe and Sam Luckett were instrumental in the Tigers win, while Mitch Hartree, Jamie Bettoncelli and Matt Gill were the Demons best. The loss will be hard to Swallow for the Demons but they will be back in strong fashion next season no doubt.
This weeks Second Semi at Keith will feature Bordertown and Penola and it should be a cracking game. The Eagles are in red hot form and will have no fear of playing the Roosters after they belted them in round 13. The Roosters on the other hand had a little bit of a stumble in the second half of the year but still finished top and must be respected as the reigning champions.
For Bordertown to win, Tim Harkness and Nathan Fredrick must kick a bag of goals between them and both are capable of doing just that. The Roosters in form players this season have included Nathan Fredrick, Adrian Stephens, Clint Diment, Stephen Copestick Nicholas Hewett and Jed Jarrett, so they will be looking for a big performance from those four key players. The Eagles also have prime movers in Dylan Coxon, Matt Willson, Adam and Matthew Merrett and Jon Copping can turn a game in 5 minutes if he is let loose. This game is hard to predict who will win but i'm leaning towards Penola by 12 points, even though they might have heavy legs after last weekend, i just feel they are the form team in the competition and might get home.
The 1st Semi do or die contest between Keith and Mundulla will be played at Kyby on Sunday at it should be another close Final. The Crows and Tigers have played twice this season and have split the games so there isn't much between them at all. Mundulla were impressive last weekend and have the tools to trouble the Crows. Heath Thorpe and Jon Mock are dangerous players for the Tigers even though they are getting on in years, both can win games off their own boot if they are not watched. James McEntee has to be stopped as well if the Tigers want to win, McEntee has had a great season in front of goal and could be the difference between the sides if he is given enough chances in front of goal. Keith might have an advantage in the ruck with Hugo Drogemuller having a starring year and he will do his best to feed the Crows runners. Dion Stratford, Brad King and Andrew Hunt need to contribute in a big way for the Crows to run away with a win and having Craig Statham back in the back lines, helps sure up the defensive end. Jake McGrice, Lachlan Duell and Grady Obst could cut the Crows to shreds if left alone to get enough of the ball.
The game could come down to ground conditions but i think the Crows could get the win but i wouldn't be surprised if the Tigers get up. I'm predicting a win for Keith by 10 points in a very good game.
Wednesday night will see the Mail/Virgo Medals being handed out and there are so many options to choose from as to who might win it. I get the feeling a ruckman might win it, Penola's Dylan Coxon would be one of the favourites as the ruckman has been a tower of consistency this season for his new club. James Turner from the Kaniva-Leeor Cougars has had a very consistent season as well and should be right there in the count for most of the night. Hugo Drogemuller from Keith has been another stand out as it could be the year of the ruckman.
Lucindale's Mark Snowball, Kyby's Billy Laurie and Kingston's Ben Warner have had consistent years but the fact that their teams hardly won games could count against them from polling highly. Grady Obst and Jake McGrice look set to lead the Mundulla Tigers votes as well. Naracoorte's Robbie Jones and Mitch Hartree are proven vote getters and should do well again. Bordertown could share the votes around but Adrian Stephens and Clint Diment have been very consistent all year and could lead the Roosters voting. Border Districts voting looks set to be led by Stuart Ferenci who has had a good season, especially the second half as the Eagles won more games.
Padthaway's Tom Edwards has been the most consistent Lion all season and could poll votes, while Ben Gunning's flair and goal kicking ability will no doubt have the umpires eyes on him during the games he starred in.
As for my tips, i will pick Dylan Coxon to win on 26 votes from James Turner 24 votes, Billy Laurie 23 votes, Jake McGrice 23 votes and Adrian Stephens 21 votes
My Smoky is Robbie Jones

Money's on Dylan Coxon. But I hear if he wins it George McWaters will beat him up again and take it. Coxon would be ineligible anyway if he was reported for eye gouging before George hit him that day.

Bill Laurie footballer of the year.

How did Naracoorte end up with a home final?

luck of the draw, finals venues are decided during the year.

Different scenario but kind of similar to last year's grand final (different because until this season the big one was alternated between naracoorte and Bordertown). Grand final was at bordertown and always was going to be. Bordertown made the grand final as the designated "away" side.

Dylan Coxon (Penola) Virgo Mail medallist
James Turner (Kaniva Leeor United) footballer of the year
Adam Merrett (Penola) leading goalkicker with 108
Lachie Jones (Penola) best under 21

And a shout out to Lee Curnow (Kybybolite) for winning the reserves medal. After being runner-up in the A grade for years on end.

Dylan Coxon (Penola) Virgo Mail medallist
James Turner (Kaniva Leeor United) footballer of the year
Adam Merrett (Penola) leading goalkicker with 108
Lachie Jones (Penola) best under 21

And a shout out to Lee Curnow (Kybybolite) for winning the reserves medal. After being runner-up in the A grade for years on end.

my prediction wasn't too bad :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think "stabkick" will go that far, but Benny has had a fantastic year

No doubt he has and old stabby will make sure the community knows about it.

Was a little doubtful about the umpire's votes at times on the night. One game (which you would have seen as it was at kingston) we had a guy kick 12 yet he didn't get three votes. Guy who got three was being abused by kingston people all day too and told how much borders were sucked in by paying for him, which was nice.

Then in another game we won by two points, had a guy kick 8 of our 13, and he only got one vote.

No doubt he has and old stabby will make sure the community knows about it.

Was a little doubtful about the umpire's votes at times on the night. One game (which you would have seen as it was at kingston) we had a guy kick 12 yet he didn't get three votes. Guy who got three was being abused by kingston people all day too and told how much borders were sucked in by paying for him, which was nice.

Then in another game we won by two points, had a guy kick 8 of our 13, and he only got one vote.

umpires seem to not value goal kicking as much as they should considering it is how teams win games

Surprise result mundulla getting over naracoorte. Mundulla have been playing the same side for a number of years and rarely seem to recruit but always seem to feature fairly well in finals. How old is Heath Thorpe? He'd have to be pushing 40.
On footy review news Im hearing the recommendations wont be released until next year - originally scheduled for July.

Surprise result mundulla getting over naracoorte. Mundulla have been playing the same side for a number of years and rarely seem to recruit but always seem to feature fairly well in finals. How old is Heath Thorpe? He'd have to be pushing 40.
On footy review news Im hearing the recommendations wont be released until next year - originally scheduled for July.

Apparently the sacfl have just issued a media statement to the press in regards to the review. Have you heard anything man of clay????

teams changing comps ? and stuff like that

Yep. But from my last chat with Mike Mourbey he said in the short team all KNTFL clubs have committed to the KNTFL.

I think this release may be about Millicent's attempt to jump out to the MSEFL and leave behind the WBFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back