Prediction Ladder predictions 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

End of season

18. Essendon After 11 losses in a row they sack Brad/Chris Richard Cranium or what ever Scott brother it is and replace with James Hird. In the final game of the season drug tests reveal doping of the players…
17. West Coast
16. North.
15. GWS
14. St. Kilda
13. Port
12 Adelaide
11. Sydney
10. Carlton
9. Richmond

8. Hawthorn
7. Western Bulldogs.
6. Collingwood
5. Fremantle
4. Suns
3.Melbourne
2. Brisbane
1. Geelong

Finals
Geelong get granted permission to host Suns at that pissant ground. All 5 Suns supporters didn’t show up as they were partying with Essendon players. Geelong demolishes the Suns.

Brisbane win a close one against Melbourne

Western bulldogs win in a close one after Collingwood throws the game.

In an after the goal siren to Mitch Lewis, we beat freo in a tough match by 2 points.

Melbourne win in a canter against the Bulldogs, due to the free kicks they receive after the umpires for the game decide to award free kicks for throwing.

We head up North to face the Suns. We win in a nearly empty stadium, as Cochrane says that only Suns supporters should be allowed entry. Only 2 people and Tony show up, as they win them tickets on a radio show. We win by 11 points.

Geelong beat Melbourne comfortably, despite most of their players spending much of the game on the ground, sooking. After the match the Geelong players repay “special favours” back to the umpires.

We travel back to Queensland to face Brisbane. We are in front by 4 points, When Gunston gets the ball in the dying seconds and hits the post bringing much relief for us supporters.

In the grand final. We play Geelong. There really is not much to say as the Hawks kick 46:14 to Geelong solitary point.

A record 277 point win. David King and Chad Cornes end up living together on a deserted island and are never heard of again.

I just dont buy the assessment that we will be spoon candidates this year. This team reads like a team ready to jump not a team ready to Tank.

We lost experience but gunners and big boy didn't play much last year. Shiels was cooked. Amon cancels out losing jaeger. Mitchell is a loss, but we are gaining a healthy squad, young replacements, young guns about to make the step up in Day, Ward, scrim, newk, mcdonald, Lewis. Guys like Bramble, Impey, Wingard now fit. Not one (sometimes zero) rucks.

Injuries and we will be bottom 4. If we stay fit 8-10 wins

A very early prediction.
1 - Brisbane Lions - Gabba, Gunston, Dunkley & Ashcroft to an already strong team, will dominate at home & make it a far way into September.
2 - Geelong Cats - Losing Selwood hurts, but they've still got so much talent there both old and young, mainly old but their forwardline and backline are incredible.
3 - Collingwood Magpies - Close games, sure? But add into that Mitchell who'll go straight into a role which suits him & feeding their class, McStay adds another dimension forward, they'll be super dangerous.
4 - Melbourne Demons - Gawndy duo will be fun to watch, Jackson gone is interesting and hard to read, but such a good side with 2 of the best/better midfielders in the league.
5 - Sydney Swans - Belted in a granny, but they made it there for a reason, they're so young and so talented, Chad Warner is an absolute superstar.
6 - Carlton Blues - Rate them big time but hard to judge them so early, can see them finishing higher than this and reaching their potential, Walsh out hurts.
7 - Fremantle Dockers - Defensively elite, a great midfield and a pretty good forwardline, could see them being higher than this, Jackson/Jaeger are good additions.
8 - Richmond Tigers - They are probably being underrated here, two good additions to the midfield and a pretty good side from last year who win the close games and finish 6th, can see them being anywhere in the 8.

The top 8 is going to be super tight and tussled in 2023, they all look super strong and it's a good state for the AFL.

9 - Western Bulldogs - Just miss out, Dunkley is a pretty big loss, but their midfield rotation may improve with less midfielders to rotate, interesting watch.
10 - Gold Coast Suns - They'll be around the mark, i am not sure how to rate them, can see them pushing up with Miller being so good and Ben King to return, not sure yet.
11 - Port Adelaide - Karl Amon is a big loss on their wing and with their already lacking in class in the middle, just not entirely sure on them, they seem good enough to push the 8, but too inconsistent.
12 - St Kilda Saints - Far too inconsistent, not entirely sure about them at all, some good pieces, some talent, just not sure really, screams mid table. Jack Steele is great.
13 - Adelaide Crows - I do not know about their midfield, they seem like they've got pieces, defense looks like it too, but their forwardline is really exciting, Thilthorpe, Rankine, Rachele, Walker :eyes:
14 - Essendon Bombers - Pretty good talent, just not sold on their stability, consistency both on and off field, really hard to get a judge on them and i feel this is a safe bet for them in 2023.
15 - Hawthorn Hawks - So i've done a couple of these, and we're somewhere in the bottom 4, super exciting side, young with alot of defensive talent, midfield talent and forward talent, just not sure since we are SOOO young, it'll be hard to gauge where until later in the pre season.
16 - North Melbourne - CLARKO!! got two absolute talents in Wardlaw and Sheezel, LDU looks ready to explode, Logue coming in to help defensively (not sure or sold on their backline as a whole, their forwardline looks talented with Larkey, Zurhaar, Ford, Sheezel and others & midfield looks pretty good.
17 - West Coast Eagles - Shuey apparently doing well this off season, Yeo too, so it mightn't all be doom and gloom, Ginbey looks really good and they have got some good talent in all parts of the field, just not sold, their best players are older or injury prone and i just don't know.
18 - Greater Western Sydney Giants - Yeah so it's hard, can see it either being them or West Coast and with losing two good midfielders in Hopper and Taranto i am just not sure on them, backline has good pieces, Cumming, Sam Taylor, Ash etc, and midfield still has Cogs, Kelly, forwardline with Hogan and their number 1 pick Cadman. Just not sure, it's really hard, tossed and turned with it being them or the Eagles.

BROWNLOW TOP 5:
Clayton Oliver
Tom Mitchell
Patrick Cripps
Josh Dunkley
Andrew Brayshaw

COLEMAN TOP 5:
Jeremy Cameron
Tom Lynch
Charlie Curnow
Charlie Cameron
Mitch Lewis

HAWTHORN POV:
Mitch Lewis - Coleman
Jai Newcombe - Brownlow
James Sicily - All Australian lock

2022 - Premiers Geelong only lost 4 games for the whole season. And you guessed it, we beat them. So, in a season of ups & downs….we actually managed to defeat the eventual Premiers.

Does this mean we will improve ladder-wise ? Not necessarily but it shows what we can produce on occasion. Hopefully we can improve on 8 wins ….10-12 wins would be awesome.
However, our team has lost senior experience- McEvoy, Mitchell, Gunston, O’Meara….so that is a fare chunk from last year. The addition of Amon, Meek helps a little , along with some well chosen draftees, so fingers crossed we don’t slip too much.

Overall I really like how this team is building, albeit a few years away from ‘really‘ competing.

Having said all that…..let me say this….”I really want 2 things. One is Harley Reid and the other is a super competitive side” ….bit hard to have both, I swaying closer to Harley Reid if I’m honest but I reckon we will surprise with the odd unexpected win this year (and maybe unexpected losses too.

No ladder prediction , I just want the Hawks to get back to where we really belong , and I’m happy to wait.

Haven’t done a ladder prediction at the start of a season for more than a decade
Here goes

1 Melbourne - best balanced side
2 Brisbane - 2nd best balanced side
3 Collingwood - their losses were also close
4 Geelong - home ground adv guarantees enough wins
5 Richmond - better but not good enough
6 Bulldogs - better but not good enough
7 Sydney - transition year
8 Carlton - just enough to scrape in
9 Fremantle - There about
10 GWS - improvement under new coach with a new style
11 Port Adelaide - treading water
12 St Kilda - more of the same mid table
13 Adelaide - some improvement
14 Gold Coast - ore of the same
15 West Coast - time for a rebuild
16 Hawthorn - enough to avoid bottom two
17 Essendon - the list is really average
18 Kangaroos - the worst list. By far

Since we now have some pre-season form:

Band 1:
Lions
Demons
Cats
Swans

Band 2:
Fremantle
Richmond
Coll'wood
Carlton

Band 3:
Port
Bulldogs
Crows
Gold Coast

Band 4:
Saints
Hawks
GWS
Bombers
Kangaroos
WCE

Hawks to finish bottom 6 again and West Coast to take home the spoon.
Lions vs Dees GF
I think this is very close to the money. Eagles could jump to band 3 with GWS no surprise to me to see them in either band. I think the crows will surprise and push up to the top end of band 3 and if anyone in band 2 slips they might push 8th. If fisher Mcasey had come on I would definitely have them pushing for finals.

1 Melbourne
2 Brisbane
3 Sydney
4 Geelong
5 Bulldogs
6 Carlton
7 Richmond
8 Collingwood
9 Fremantle
10 GWS
11 Port Adelaide
12 Gold Coast
13 Hawthorn
14 Adelaide
15 West Coast
16 Essendon
17 St Kilda
18 Kangaroos

Think with the amount of injuries that Saints have they will fall a lot. Collingwood wont win near as many of those close games and only getting older. Hard to rank from 6-12 tbh, think any of those teams could make the 8.

1 Melbourne
2 Brisbane
3 Sydney
4 Geelong
5 Bulldogs
6 Carlton
7 Richmond
8 Collingwood
9 Fremantle
10 GWS
11 Port Adelaide
12 Gold Coast
13 Hawthorn
14 Adelaide
15 West Coast
16 Essendon
17 St Kilda
18 Kangaroos

Think with the amount of injuries that Saints have they will fall a lot. Collingwood wont win near as many of those close games and only getting older. Hard to rank from 6-12 tbh, think any of those teams could make the 8.
Bottom 3 all went with recycled “old school” coaches. I agree they will struggle.

1. Melbourne
2. Richmond
3. Fremantle
4. Geelong
5. Brisbane
6. Sydney
7. Collingwood
8. Carlton

9. Port Adelaide
10. Adelaide
11. Gold Coast
12. St Kilda
13. Western B
14. Hawthorn
15. West Coast
16. GWS
17. North Melb
18. Essendon

1. Melbourne
2. Richmond
3. Fremantle
4. Geelong
5. Brisbane
6. Sydney
7. Collingwood
8. Carlton

9. Port Adelaide
10. Adelaide
11. Gold Coast
12. St Kilda
13. Western B
14. Hawthorn
15. West Coast
16. GWS
17. North Melb
18. Essendon
I like this but you'd think things would have to go extremely wrong for Brisbane to finish as low as 5th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure where to place us. Still reckon we'll be better than North and West Coast...but can't be confident. Port for the spoon.

1. Brisbane
2. Carlton
3. Geelong
4. Melbourne
5. Sydney
6. Gold Coast
7. Fremantle
8. Western Bulldogs
——————————
9. Collingwood
10. Richmond
11. GWS
12. Essendon
13. Adelaide
14. St Kilda
15. West Coast
16. North Melbourne
17. Hawthorn
18. Port Adel

Not sure where to place us. Still reckon we'll be better than North and West Coast...but can't be confident. Port for the spoon.

1. Brisbane
2. Carlton
3. Geelong
4. Melbourne
5. Sydney
6. Gold Coast
7. Fremantle
8. Western Bulldogs
——————————
9. Collingwood
10. Richmond
11. GWS
12. Essendon
13. Adelaide
14. St Kilda
15. West Coast
16. North Melbourne
17. Hawthorn
18. Port Adel
If this isn't a piss take i'm gonna cry

A very early prediction.
1 - Brisbane Lions - Gabba, Gunston, Dunkley & Ashcroft to an already strong team, will dominate at home & make it a far way into September.
2 - Geelong Cats - Losing Selwood hurts, but they've still got so much talent there both old and young, mainly old but their forwardline and backline are incredible.
3 - Collingwood Magpies - Close games, sure? But add into that Mitchell who'll go straight into a role which suits him & feeding their class, McStay adds another dimension forward, they'll be super dangerous.
4 - Melbourne Demons - Gawndy duo will be fun to watch, Jackson gone is interesting and hard to read, but such a good side with 2 of the best/better midfielders in the league.
5 - Sydney Swans - Belted in a granny, but they made it there for a reason, they're so young and so talented, Chad Warner is an absolute superstar.
6 - Carlton Blues - Rate them big time but hard to judge them so early, can see them finishing higher than this and reaching their potential, Walsh out hurts.
7 - Fremantle Dockers - Defensively elite, a great midfield and a pretty good forwardline, could see them being higher than this, Jackson/Jaeger are good additions.
8 - Richmond Tigers - They are probably being underrated here, two good additions to the midfield and a pretty good side from last year who win the close games and finish 6th, can see them being anywhere in the 8.

The top 8 is going to be super tight and tussled in 2023, they all look super strong and it's a good state for the AFL.

9 - Western Bulldogs - Just miss out, Dunkley is a pretty big loss, but their midfield rotation may improve with less midfielders to rotate, interesting watch.
10 - Gold Coast Suns - They'll be around the mark, i am not sure how to rate them, can see them pushing up with Miller being so good and Ben King to return, not sure yet.
11 - Port Adelaide - Karl Amon is a big loss on their wing and with their already lacking in class in the middle, just not entirely sure on them, they seem good enough to push the 8, but too inconsistent.
12 - St Kilda Saints - Far too inconsistent, not entirely sure about them at all, some good pieces, some talent, just not sure really, screams mid table. Jack Steele is great.
13 - Adelaide Crows - I do not know about their midfield, they seem like they've got pieces, defense looks like it too, but their forwardline is really exciting, Thilthorpe, Rankine, Rachele, Walker :eyes:
14 - Essendon Bombers - Pretty good talent, just not sold on their stability, consistency both on and off field, really hard to get a judge on them and i feel this is a safe bet for them in 2023.
15 - Hawthorn Hawks - So i've done a couple of these, and we're somewhere in the bottom 4, super exciting side, young with alot of defensive talent, midfield talent and forward talent, just not sure since we are SOOO young, it'll be hard to gauge where until later in the pre season.
16 - North Melbourne - CLARKO!! got two absolute talents in Wardlaw and Sheezel, LDU looks ready to explode, Logue coming in to help defensively (not sure or sold on their backline as a whole, their forwardline looks talented with Larkey, Zurhaar, Ford, Sheezel and others & midfield looks pretty good.
17 - West Coast Eagles - Shuey apparently doing well this off season, Yeo too, so it mightn't all be doom and gloom, Ginbey looks really good and they have got some good talent in all parts of the field, just not sold, their best players are older or injury prone and i just don't know.
18 - Greater Western Sydney Giants - Yeah so it's hard, can see it either being them or West Coast and with losing two good midfielders in Hopper and Taranto i am just not sure on them, backline has good pieces, Cumming, Sam Taylor, Ash etc, and midfield still has Cogs, Kelly, forwardline with Hogan and their number 1 pick Cadman. Just not sure, it's really hard, tossed and turned with it being them or the Eagles.

BROWNLOW TOP 5:
Clayton Oliver
Tom Mitchell
Patrick Cripps
Josh Dunkley
Andrew Brayshaw

COLEMAN TOP 5:
Jeremy Cameron
Tom Lynch
Charlie Curnow
Charlie Cameron
Mitch Lewis

HAWTHORN POV:
Mitch Lewis - Coleman
Jai Newcombe - Brownlow
James Sicily - All Australian lock
So update:
1. Brisbane
2. Geelong
3. Collingwood
4. Melbourne
5. Sydney
6. Carlton
7. Richmond
8. Fremantle
9. Bulldogs
10. Gold Coast
11. Port Adelaide
12. Adelaide
13. Saints
14. Essendon
15. GWS
16. Hawks
17. North
18. West Coast

But Saints look meh, Adelaide could be decent but not sold, Essendon look meh very meh, GWS look better than i thought but not 100% and we slide down 1. West Coast look dreadful.

So update:
1. Brisbane
2. Geelong
3. Collingwood
4. Melbourne
5. Sydney
6. Carlton
7. Richmond
8. Fremantle
9. Bulldogs
10. Gold Coast
11. Port Adelaide
12. Adelaide
13. Saints
14. Essendon
15. GWS
16. Hawks
17. North
18. West Coast

But Saints look meh, Adelaide could be decent but not sold, Essendon look meh very meh, GWS look better than i thought but not 100% and we slide down 1. West Coast look dreadful.

Kinda looks like last year's ladder but Carlton swapped for Dogs

It's got me stumped how so many people have collingwood high. What's with that? It was by dint of miracle that they even finished in the 8 last season.
And yet they probably should have made the GF and were the only team to consistently push the cats. It’s pretty wild how far apart people have their ladders but that’s what the league wanted to avoid having the same teams dominate. Pies could finish anywhere from top 4 to 12th IMO (tigers and freo similar) and just saw Strapping Young Lad have port last whilst others have them pushing top 4.

I dont see it with Adelaide . A lot seem to have them near the 8 or just outside .
Maybe a bit of praccy match bias or surely they come good bias.
Still think they are bottom 6 for me .
Also hard to see West Coast getting off the canvas after last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back