FTA-TV Late Shows - Mega Thread

Who's your favourite Late Night host/show?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

agreed, monster Letterman fan, always thought he was at his best when he had an old friend on guys like

Bill Murray
Jim Carrey

or one of those reality tv stars he felt didn't deserve to be there

plus stuff like this

I remember watching Letterman a few years back. He had some reality TV idiot on. Spencer someone maybe? And it was so obvious to everyone except the idiot that Letterman was just ripping him to shreds and mocking him endlessly. It was beautiful.

Rumour that Ferguson will be finishing around the same time Letterman does.

Craig Ferguson faces uncertain future at CBS with David Letterman gone, contract ending in 2015
BY DON KAPLAN
TV EDITOR
Friday, April 11, 2014, 10:16 PM

CBS’ “Late Late Show” host Craig Ferguson has lost his champion — Letterman himself — and faces an uncertain future.
Ferguson is not likely to be back when his current contract expires in June 2015, sources said. But that contract has a clause that pays him as much as $10 million if he did not get Letterman’s job when the legendary comic retired.

Executives at the network said Ferguson wasn’t even considered to replace Letterman because the focus of his talk show is “too narrow.” They are also disappointed that it never became a ratings smash.

The Late Late Show is part of a unique deal Letterman worked out with CBS shortly after he started at “The Late Show” in 1993 when the network was desperate to negotiate a long-term extension with the gap-toothed funnyman.

In what has been described as one of the most creative deals in television, CBS gave Letterman and his production company, Worldwide Pants, control of the 12:30 a.m. slot following “The Late Show.”

With Letterman out of the picture next year, Ferguson is negotiating with CBS instead of Letterman’s production company as he has in the past. And CBS isn’t negotiating back.

Instead, the network is talking to Chelsea Handler, the host of “Chelsea Lately” on E!, sources said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...stay-cbs-2015-article-1.1754069#ixzz2yfv7OFKJ

"Disappointed it never became a ratings smash"

What were they expecting at 12.30am exactly? Especially with a puppet for a lead in the last few years?
Apparently not only has Fallon and now Myers smashed in the ratings, the 1.30am show on NBC also beats it in the 18-49 demo.

Chelsea Handler can be absolutely hilarious at times, but mostly is pretty bland. And when her shtick isn't funny, it just comes off as incredibly mean-spirited. It'll be interesting to see if she changes her show to fit in with CBS (if she gets it) though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Craig was planning to leave before Dave announced he was quitting. As he says, not many people will actually believe him. But it rings true I think:

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/cra...e-i-stopped-enjoying-it-exclusive-1201166239/

“It wasn’t contentious. I was just like, ‘I feel like I’m done,’ ” Ferguson told Variety. “We were all fine and were tying up loose ends. And then Dave surprised everybody with the (April 3) announcement and that threw a spanner in the works. And I had to sit and keep my mouth shut while speculation raged wildly.”

Ferguson initially planned to sign off this summer, but CBS asked him to stay until December to give them more time to set a replacement. Ferguson agreed because it gives his staff and crew more time to find new gigs.

“It’s an inevitable thing when David announced his retirement, people are going to say ‘Oh he’s leaving because of that.’ No matter what I say or what I do, they’re gonna say that. Well they can say what they like. It’s America. I understand.”

“Ten years is a very long time in one job — for me,” he said. “I wanted to leave the show before I stopped enjoying it. That was my goal. I didn’t want it to be a chore….The whole idea is that show business should have some adventure to it, I think. It’s not about knowing what you’re doing day in and day out, year after year.”

Another latenight talk show is highly unlikely, despite the vacancy that’s about to open up at Comedy Central when “The Colbert Report” wraps. “I don’t know if I would ever do a latenight talkshow (again). It just doesn’t feel like that’s the way I’m headed,” he said.

Ferguson reiterated, as he has in interviews over the years, that taking over the 11:35 p.m. slot from Dave was never his ambition. But again, he accepts that people will view this as a he-doth-protest-too-much situation.

“I had no desire — none — to do that job,” Ferguson said. “I could barely keep it together at 12:30, never mind 11:30. Nobody wants to hear it. It’s so bizarre. People want it to be Jay and Dave or Jay and Conan or some kind of big story. That’s not me, that’s not what I want. I think what happens is that certain people want you to want it, and they want you to not get it. If that makes ‘em happy, well…It really wasn’t what I aspired to. Doing this job wasn’t something I aspired to, either. I kind of fell into this.”

Late Show with Stephen Colbert isn't going to be near as funny as The Colbert Report :( Not going to have remotely the same satirical bite.

More interested who Comedy Central will put as his replacement. Jason Jones? Aasif Mandvi? Samantha Bee? Someone not connected at all?

At first I didnt care much about lettermans retirement but losing colbert and ferguson (regardless if he was going anyway) makes this whole saga pretty ******* awful

I dont see how you can replace colbert. The show is predicated on the gimmick hes had since coming in to the national spotlight on the daily show. Having someone else sarcastically agreeing with everything bill o says just wont be the same.

At first I didnt care much about lettermans retirement but losing colbert and ferguson (regardless if he was going anyway) makes this whole saga pretty ******* awful

I dont see how you can replace colbert. The show is predicated on the gimmick hes had since coming in to the national spotlight on the daily show. Having someone else sarcastically agreeing with everything bill o says just wont be the same.

Oliver could have done it IMO, and done it well. His show will be quality.

pretty shattered, i love ferguson

Nah, no-one can really replace The Colbert Report and I can't see any of the special correspondents being able to do their own show as well as he did. To be honest, I've always thought that the special correspondent spots were the weak spot of the Daily Show.

It seems that the best option is to simply extend The Daily Show to an hour. It could start to morph into the format of other late night shows (with either a second interview or a musical act) .... OR .... it could just be a chance for Jon Stewart to rant for twice as long. Hell, I'd watch if the extra half hour was just him pulling his shocked face!

I'd never actually seen Craig's monologue about Britney Spears and addiction. This is incredible.

Any time he is serious is normally terrific, his first monologues after his parents deaths were very touching, as was his post Boston Bombing show.

Back