Leigh Brown appointed as Forwards coach

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll trust the club on this one. I guess it's great to have a bit of really fresh blood in the coaching set-up, especially someone coming out of a forward line as successful as Collingwood's.

He'll be working with someone experienced in Satterley anyway, so there shouldn't be any issues there.

Mark Neeld said, “I’m very pleased to have Leigh Brown on board. Throughout his playing career, Leigh has had experiences at a number of successful organisations, most recently at Collingwood as a premiership player.”

“Over the past four seasons Leigh has completed his coaching education program, and has worked with the coaching group at Calder Cannons in the TAC Cup. He is ready to take the next step at the AFL level.”

“He will offer great insight for our players about what is required to be successful at the top level.”

good info there

I like this appointment because Neeld knows him very well. He wouldn't appoint someone that he didn't think could do the job well. Brown was never a world beater as a player but here's hoping he has the right stuff to be a terrific coach at the club.

I'll trust the club on this one. I guess it's great to have a bit of really fresh blood in the coaching set-up, especially someone coming out of a forward line as successful as Collingwood's.

He'll be working with someone experienced in Satterley anyway, so there shouldn't be any issues there.

I don't know why but I never liked him.

I guess I better start trying.

He did get the most out of limited talent.

I like this appointment because Neeld knows him very well. He wouldn't appoint someone that he didn't think could do the job well. Brown was never a world beater as a player but here's hoping he has the right stuff to be a terrific coach at the club.

Bolded summarises where I'm at.

Certainly not excited by this appointment but will trust that Neeld knows best...

People need to stop judging coaches on their playing ability, it's not how it works.

I agree- but Brown was considered by many to be a 'dumb footballer' who lacked discipline at times. Character traits like that have me more worried than his lack of playing ability which as you said means nothing.

I agree- but Brown was considered by many to be a 'dumb footballer' who lacked discipline at times. Character traits like that have me more worried than his lack of playing ability which as you said means nothing.

Lacked discipline? Leigh Matthews belted people constantly and it didn't affect his coaching abilities.

I don't think he was a dumb footballer either, he simply wasn't a stand out football player. If he was "dumb" then I hardly doubt he would have ended up playing 246 games.

Leah Brown at Collingwood was quite disciplined, did the team things, tackling shepherding ect was considered a real team player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lacked discipline? Leigh Matthews belted people constantly and it didn't affect his coaching abilities.

I don't think he was a dumb footballer either, he simply wasn't a stand out football player. If he was "dumb" then I hardly doubt he would have ended up playing 246 games.

I'm not saying he won't be a good coach by any stretch, only pointing out that I'm not exactly excited by his appointment. The amount of times he gives away stupid frees is one of the reasons I think he was a stupid footballer (12th most in comp this year), but this doesn't preclude him from being a good coach.

On the flipside I remember being very excited by the appointment of Scott West a few years ago and look how that turned out!

He has been doing a coaching course the last few years as well?

People are quick to judge him!! I'm happy with this signing. Fresh out of the game too!!

People need to stop judging coaches on their playing ability, it's not how it works.

Very true, I think nick grant said this in an earlier thread but how would we know? We are all just guessing when it comes to assistants so I guess I'll trust the club when making these appointments. See how he goes.

I think he's a good pickup. He'll be completely devoted to the task, and wants to be a career coach, so he's going to be out to impress. I'll miss the big fella.

He was always one to do the team thing with his tackling, pressure, blocking, bullocking work, and I think Melbourne will get a heap out of his appointment.

I thought the change rooms were for players only? Unless Spud wants to play FF for us too? ;)

Could be a good option!

Nah check out the stickied thread at the top of TCR... Crimson has decreed that we should have threads for the coaches as well.

I'm not saying he won't be a good coach by any stretch, only pointing out that I'm not exactly excited by his appointment. The amount of times he gives away stupid frees is one of the reasons I think he was a stupid footballer (12th most in comp this year), but this doesn't preclude him from being a good coach.

On the flipside I remember being very excited by the appointment of Scott West a few years ago and look how that turned out!
Is your excitability a key recruitment objective

Remove this Banner Ad

Back