News Leppa and ZOB - Clash of the Titans

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some news sites are saying it was almost an assault and some are demanding a public apology. Lol. Media outlets are going overboard.

the-club-400x600.jpg

Anyone read this lately. The grab blokes in the locker room and rough them up a bit was as open to ridicule in 1977 as it should be today.

It's not a good thing, but that's the way it is.

But you've just assumed that the people who believe Leppitsch acted badly are doing so because they don't like him as a coach, and that's not fair. It's pretty clear who you're talking about and if you're not prepared to quote them or name them I reckon you should maybe keep your assumption to yourself.

EDIT: I went a bit over the top with that last line. Apologies carnthemlions.
What? Oh, don't worry about it.
Anyway, AFL QLD's post summed it up better than I did.

Mark Robinson has written an article in HUN saying "What a joke........":thumbsu:

Couldn't agree more. Ridiculous. In this PC world, we are rearing a bunch of sooks, not men. A bit of rough and tumble never hurt any young lad.

..no different to a jumper punch/push,shove during a game.

Toughen up princesses.

Last edited:
All this thread has taught me is that 90% of you have never played AFL at club level. You never ever swear at your coach ever. And playing in the seconds trying to get into the firsts the senior coach has every right to pull a player up on his behaviour. What leppa did was tame, pulling someone down a step so to not be stood over when he is the most powerful person at the club is perfectly fine. A coach needs to be respected, having a player stand over them is the player trying to show some sort of dominance over them. Leppa was threatened, he pulled him into line. Simple as that, I'd be more disappointed if leppa didn't pull him down a notch. Anyone who has played AFL would have seen plenty of examples like this. And you know what? Once the game is over everyone moves on. Everyone commenting 'oh dog act', 'Leppas lost the plot', 'it's assault in the workplace' are having some severe over reactions. It's the job of the coach to keep the players in line. Disrespecting a coach whether it be firsts, seconds or assistance coach is something you never do. Have a problem? Hold your toungue and talk to them like a man after the game. Geesh you guys would be in for a rude awakening if you signed up to play footy this year.

All this thread has taught me is that 90% of you have never played AFL at club level. You never ever swear at your coach ever. And playing in the seconds trying to get into the firsts the senior coach has every right to pull a player up on his behaviour. What leppa did was tame, pulling someone down a step so to not be stood over when he is the most powerful person at the club is perfectly fine. A coach needs to be respected, having a player stand over them is the player trying to show some sort of dominance over them. Leppa was threatened, he pulled him into line. Simple as that, I'd be more disappointed if leppa didn't pull him down a notch. Anyone who has played AFL would have seen plenty of examples like this. And you know what? Once the game is over everyone moves on. Everyone commenting 'oh dog act', 'Leppas lost the plot', 'it's assault in the workplace' are having some severe over reactions. It's the job of the coach to keep the players in line. Disrespecting a coach whether it be firsts, seconds or assistance coach is something you never do. Have a problem? Hold your toungue and talk to them like a man after the game. Geesh you guys would be in for a rude awakening if you signed up to play footy this year.

From what I've heard, O'Brien was given a spray at half time after apparently ignoring instructions to come to the bench, which he still swears he didn't get. O'Brien wasn't in anyway threatening Leppa or any of the coaching staff. If he was, he would not be at the club right now.

I don't like the actions taking by Leppa or O'Brien but it's a total misunderstanding from all parties involved, simple as that.

From what I've heard, O'Brien was given a spray at half time after apparently ignoring instructions to come to the bench, which he still swears he didn't get. O'Brien wasn't in anyway threatening Leppa or any of the coaching staff. If he was, he would not be at the club right now.

I don't like the actions taking by Leppa or O'Brien but it's a total misunderstanding from all parties involved, simple as that.

You've got to add to this that O'Brien swore at Woewodin (told him to go f himself I believe) after the spray.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mark Robinson has written an article in HUN saying "What a joke........":thumbsu:

Couldn't agree more. Ridiculous. In this PC world, we are rearing a bunch of sooks, not men. A bit of rough and tumble never hurt any young lad.

Toughen up princesses.
I hope your not calling Zack a sook because he never leaked this and has been solid and above reproach here. Trains hard, plays hard and is a quality young man.

You've got to add to this that O'Brien swore at Woewodin (told him to go f himself I believe) after the spray.

Certainly and I also believe that's what was said. Just didn't feel the need to say it after the poster I was directly quoting already had. As I said, I'm still disappointed with all parties. O'Brien should never have sworn at a coach and a coach should have never put hands on O'Brien.

On here it seems a lot of people are trying to blame the one party(whether that be Leppa or O'Brien) Whereas I think it's clear all parties are to blame.

The next time someone at your workplace does something to annoy you, go tackle them. Let me know what happens :)

I'm by myself in the office all this week and next, no doubt i'll find myself annoying by the end of that time, not sure how I'll go tackling myself but I'll give it a red hot crack and report back.

If i was a betting man I'd probably say that the conversation afterwards will go go something like this

Tacklee: "nice tackle gumby, my mother hits harder than you"

Tackler: "is that a tear in the corner of your eye? Here you go princess here's a concrete pill for you (hands over a panadol)"

I'm by myself in the office all this week and next, no doubt i'll find myself annoying by the end of that time, not sure how I'll go tackling myself but I'll give it a red hot crack and report back.

If you're going to do that at least have the decency to do it in the bathroom, away from those prying cameras and sex offender charges.

Every tackle is assault is it? FaChristssake.

A player consents to being tackled as part of the game. If the same bloke lined him up after the game and did the same it would be assault. It is not part of the game for a coach to assault a player and hence it is illegal.

Let me know if you need me to use smaller words.

If you're going to do that at least have the decency to do it in the bathroom, away from those prying cameras and sex offender charges.
I was told they had removed those cameras?! I've got the signed start Dec right here

A player consents to being tackled as part of the game. If the same bloke lined him up after the game and did the same it would be assault. It is not part of the game for a coach to assault a player and hence it is illegal.

Let me know if you need me to use smaller words.

I was with you all the way up to the sick bird reference...

I think Leppa was just telling ZOB to "keep his chin up", so he could get a better grip.

Toughen up princesses.

Sorry but I strongly disagree with this. As it has been concluded he only grabbed his jumped as opposed to pinning him to the wall by the throat (as first reported), it is not a hangable offence.

But given our current position, our efforts to be the family club, and Leppa's role as a 'teacher' to this young group, laying hands on any player for any reason (unless training) is unacceptable.

He has apologised but to try and say it this is how you make a young person a 'man', but losing your temper and man handling them in a position of authority, when we are 0-5 in the middle of a crises, is, IMO so fair off the mark.

It's not about the act, ZOB will get over it - its about people management and trust within the group.

It says to the players "I am losing control" and I betcha any money it has a negative impact on his ability to coach this young group.

It's a bad news news story, its the last thing we need, it fuels speculation about his ability to be a head coach, but I think we should be able to move on from it - he entered dangerous territory though, the media are now watching his every move.

The reactions on here are certainly interesting. Seems to be a hell of a lot of confirmation bias going on here. "Leppa is a bad coach, lost the players, here is proof." "Leppa took control, drew a line in the sand, showing some leadership." Or insert whichever interpretation confirms your particular bias.

Nothing about this is make-or-break, line-in-sand, defining-moment stuff. It just isn't.

Organizations are far more organic, evolving and resilient to be defined by single incidents like this. One incident simply does not equal a culture and to portray it that way is mischievous. Culture is the sum total of everyone's behaviour over time. Some outside the club (and some fans) will choose to define the culture by this incident because it suits the narrative they wish to tell about the club.

It is an incident that happened, probably shouldn't have, but did. That's it. Everything else is interpretation and judgement through whichever lens you choose to view it. Please don't try to put greater meaning onto it than is really there because it suits your narrative.

It is probably time to stop this nonsense.
Just quoting because obviously not enough of you read this.

Sorry but I strongly disagree with this. As it has been concluded he only grabbed his jumped as opposed to pinning him to the wall by the throat (as first reported), it is not a hangable offence.

But given our current position, our efforts to be the family club, and Leppa's role as a 'teacher' to this young group, laying hands on any player for any reason (unless training) is unacceptable.

He has apologised but to try and say it this is how you make a young person a 'man', but losing your temper and man handling them in a position of authority, when we are 0-5 in the middle of a crises, is, IMO so fair off the mark.

It's not about the act, ZOB will get over it - its about people management and trust within the group.

It says to the players "I am losing control" and I betcha any money it has a negative impact on his ability to coach this young group.

It's a bad news news story, its the last thing we need, it fuels speculation about his ability to be a head coach, but I think we should be able to move on from it - he entered dangerous territory though, the media are now watching his every move.

you are reading to much into it. This kinda stuff happens all the time at all football clubs. You have 50 odd males being pushed to their limits week in week out. Tensions rise, people blow up. It's not a reflection of 'losing control'. It's just letting o'brien know that his behaviour was unacceptable. He copped it and moved on. I bet it isn't even being discussed amongst the players. It's just the media and supporters beating it up to try an make out that it's some big sign into why we are so s**t at the moment. Like I said this happens all the time at footy clubs. I've had coaches walk out of games at half time, grab players by the shirts to give em a spray. Clipboards broken. I've received a few sprays as well where a coach has grabbed me by the Guernsey and pulled me down a notch. Players need to be pulled into line. Play footy for a year there's nothing wrong with what leppa did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back