Let's talk about... Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you misunderstand my comment, either deliberately or not.

Of course AFL footballers are not soft compared to most members of society.

However, compared to other AFL footballers it's a pretty easy call to say Smith is a bit soft
I think you misunderstand the OP.
Yes Smith isn’t perfect, but complaining about his schooling is as stupid as it gets.
And he has form.
It’s allowed though because of the perception that Western Suburban people are all idiots.
Read the gameday thread, that’s as close to soft and cowardice you will ever see.

Last edited:

He's not soft. My concern is his disposal efficiency is way down. I hope he and the club can turn that around.

I've said it for years but IMO Bailey Smith should be given a run-with/tagging role on the oppo's best mid to develop him. I'm convinced he'd still rack up a heap of possessions and still attack, but it'll force him to get a defensive mind set. Has the speed and aggression to do it well too.

This thread is a disgrace and totally inaccurate!

I was at the game and Smith like every single one of our boys went in hard, he always does, not only that he ran hard from start to finish.

24 disposals for a mid/forward against top opposition is a very solid night's work.

What this thread is, is pure jealousy from a sad little man.

He’s not soft. He is a poor decision maker though, and his skills by foot are so far off AFL level it’s not funny.

Unfortunately he’s not on his own in this team, I can count on one hand the players I trust with ball in hand. Which is one of the main reasons why we’re unlikely to trouble the better sides in the comp.

I've given a permanent thead ban and an infraction against a certain poster on here who thinks he can abuse other members and post disgusting s**t about our players. Be reasonable to each other and our players thanks folks.

We are not Richmond!
You're right. We don't spit on our players and coach or send manure to the club

Hands up everyone who's played AFL and would be able to stop Bailey Smith breaking out of a pack?

Thought so.

Bailey Smith was running very hard in the last qtr. That gut-busting running is another type of bravery.

Currently he is an outside player and an offensive player. The question for Smith is what player does he want to become. He only has to look at his Captain. Has the ability to take his game to another level and play in the middle and yes that would mean a harder edge than he currently has.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Currently he is an outside player and an offensive player. The question for Smith is what player does he want to become. He only has to look at his Captain. Has the ability to take his game to another level and play in the middle and yes that would mean a harder edge than he currently has.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Harder edge - fair enough, that's a different point and I don't disagree.

Calling him soft per the thread, and attributing it to his schooling is laughable.

Harder edge - fair enough, that's a different point and I don't disagree.

Calling him soft per the thread, and attributing it to his schooling is laughable.
Be careful or you might accidentally introduce some nuance.

We don't do nuance here.

I think you misunderstand the OP.
Yes Smith isn’t perfect, but complaining about his schooling is as stupid as it gets.
And he has form.
It’s allowed though because of the perception that Western Suburban people are all idiots.
Read the gameday thread, that’s as close to soft and cowardice you will ever see.
I haven't even mentioned about the school part which is clearly tongue in cheek and has you triggered beyond belief.

I think the main point is about his hardness at the ball, or lack thereof.

Hands up everyone who's played AFL and would be able to stop Bailey Smith breaking out of a pack?

Thought so.
Never critique them then? I find this line of logic weird.

Can you direct or act in a movie? No well never speak on them then. Can you play an instrument? No? Who are you to talk about music? Etc etc.

Never critique them then? I find this line of logic weird.

Can you direct or act in a movie? No well never speak on them then. Can you play an instrument? No? Who are you to talk about music? Etc etc.
Way to completely misread my post. Well done.

Lots of AFL footballers have different degrees of hardness.
Smith goes in and out of contests every game. He runs kms in a few hours while also negotiating those same physical clashes. He has discussed his mental challenges publicly.

Question his decision making, his disposal, his lack of team awareness, etc.

To call him soft in a footy context is laughable.

Baz has a lot of room for growth.

Even the Grand Final it was Baz trying to be the hero around the contest that turned over the ball for Bayley Fritsch to kick the first goal in Melb's onslaught.

Watch him closely around the contest he is a massive liability. He loses focus for a split second and his man gets free and their out. He gets sucked into a contest when he should be holding his width etc..

When there is 50/50 ball does he bodyline ball? If he has, I've never seen it.

Way to completely misread my post. Well done.

Lots of AFL footballers have different degrees of hardness.
Smith goes in and out of contests every game. He runs kms in a few hours while also negotiating those same physical clashes. He has discussed his mental challenges publicly.

Question his decision making, his disposal, his lack of team awareness, etc.

To call him soft in a footy context is laughable.
I don't think I misread your post as it was just a rhetorical question. We all know none of us would not be able to stop Smith breaking out of a pack. I may have drawn the wrong conclusion from your post though as the point was not really clear. I apologise if so, could you explain the point of it to me?

Are you saying no AFL footballer is soft, or that non-AFL footballers can never call an AFL player soft? Or something else entirely?

As already discussed, of course he's not soft compared to the populus. But we're talking about relative to his peers, ie other AFL footballers.

You've already said that they have different degrees of hardness. It's then logical to conclude that moving in a negative direction on that scale would tend towards the opposite of hardness... softness.

Looks like the ‘Cotton-On’ contract and ‘life’s pressures’ have turned him into a front running soft-cokc. Treloar looks like Robbie Muir compared to him.

Private school pampers these kids, everything is too hard.

I strongly suspect he bounced up from a fully committed, flying shoulder charge to the head quicker than anyone who posts on this (or most other) internet forums.

Have rewatched it this afternoon after being at the ground yesterday.

Smith is absolutely not a soft footballer but he had a very soft 2nd half. Was not at all interested in getting to the bottom of a pack or to put his body on the line in the rain.

To be fair, maybe he is saving himself for prime time next weekend. I reckon the likes of Anthony Scott, Jamarra, Libba, English, CD and of course Crozier are going to be very sore today. Some very tough stuff by our guys out there last night in the wet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back