Let's talk Ports!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
****RARE PIC****
Choco in Power kit
166917.jpg

That being said, just like umpiring, hostile crowds and various other outside factors, the better you get the less they seem to matter. All I'm saying is that for this team where it is at the moment, the draw was a pretty big factor. As we mature, it won't be.

I wouldn't go as far as a "pretty big factor". No one would have predicted the doggies to have the season they had when the draw came out, so maybe you could argue one less double up v a top 6 side.

Even if given 2 less top 6 sides, we still wouldn't be guaranteed the extra 8 points based on our 2015 form.

Personally blaming the draw is piss weak and doesn't help our cause.

We lost our mental edge this season, last season we always believed we could win regardless of being 5 goals down, better yet our opponents also shared that same belief and feared our belief. When your opponents fear you they do strange things like winning the toss and kicking into the wind in an elimination final.

This year we lost that edge, losing to Sydney by 8 odd goals in rd 2 was the first crack, I remember on the night thinking I couldn't remember the last time we were so easily beaten under Hinkley. Next home loss to West Coast we proved our vulnerability, by the Richmond loss the smell of blood was well and truly out, Geelong joined the frenzy and by the time we lose to the cows (again a home crowd) top 4 was well and truly shot.

Even when we had the chance to pinch one back by facing Sydney without Franklin or Tippett we didn't take it.

If we what to be pushing for flags, you need the mid ranked sides coming here expecting to be punished. You want them second guessing "maybe we should pick our battles, no disgrace in a loss here, let's save a bit in the tank for next week when we play some other mid rank side"

9 home wins is a minimum standard we should be setting, regardless of the draw.

Hopefully you're right about us maturing and developing that mental hardness that gets us back to smashing opponents when the opportunities present and grinding out wins when we probably didn't deserve them on the day.

****RARE PIC****
Choco in Power kit
166917.jpg
I've got a copy of Footy Plus with Stephen Williams on the cover in the Power kit. Autographed. [Edit: actually I think it's the poster in the middle! Will try to dig it out some day]

Edit: And Dylan8 the graveyard in the laser light show is a reference to the Cheltenham cemetery. Most people coming from the city drive past it on the way to Alberton Oval. It's a sort of folklore thing...bad omens, cold shivers and all that stuff.

Last edited:
just wanted to give the club a pat on the back. For my sons 18th (this weekend) I made up a collage of photos taken each year since 2009 of my son with his favourite player, Hamish Hartlett. Last week I found out there was no open training that week, and this week its on Friday which I cant get to. I contacted the club, they put me in touch with Matthew who suggested I bring it down and give it to Ben. Within 24hrs he had Hamish personalize and contacted me saying it was ready to be picked up. As I live about 50 mins from Alberton, I cant just pop down when the players are around so having Ben organize it made it easy and stress free for me.. Big thanks to Ben and Well Done PAFC.

Had a conversation today with a bit of a footy tragic and he said that we have spent 110% of footy dept spend this year, meaning we can only spend 90% next year.

2 questions:

Is this true?

If yes, what impact will this have in 2016?

Had a conversation today with a bit of a footy tragic and he said that we have spent 110% of footy dept spend this year, meaning we can only spend 90% next year.

2 questions:

Is this true?

That's been reported in the media a few times, so it's not exactly a ground breaking thing to say. Whether it's true, probably.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's been reported in the media a few times, so it's not exactly a ground breaking thing to say. Whether it's true, probably.
I didn't say it was groundbreaking, I hadn't heard it so asked the question here seeing if I could get answers. Pretty simple stuff really.

If you overspend your football dept - ie non player - spend you pay a tax you don't get a reduced spend the next year.

If you're talking about the salary cap, if you underspend in the previous 2 years you are allowed to go over the following years to compensate, which is what we were rumoured to be doing to squeeze in Ryder. After that you have to get back to 100%.

So either way your mate is wrong.

2 questions:

Is this true?

Players association would never agree to a rule that meant a team was forced to pay less than they could.

We spent less for a couple of years, so then you absolutely should be spending above the cap even if you just front end a few contracts to do so.
If you dont use that allowance you lose it.
Whether Ryder caused us to go over or we were smart enough just to do it while we could is debateable.

If you overspend your football dept - ie non player - spend you pay a tax you don't get a reduced spend the next year.

If you're talking about the salary cap, if you underspend in the previous 2 years you are allowed to go over the following years to compensate, which is what we were rumoured to be doing to squeeze in Ryder. After that you have to get back to 100%.

t8nrjn.jpg

Thanks Ford, I didn't think it sounded right but wasn't sure so just had to smile and nod.

Completely off topic but the daddy long legs was believed to be the most poisonous spider once because people saw them eating the red back which is extremely venomous. So the obvious conclusion was that the DLL was more deadly than the red back.

Completely off topic but the daddy long legs was believed to be the most poisonous spider once because people saw them eating the red back which is extremely venomous. So the obvious conclusion was that the DLL was more deadly than the red back.

Seeing as we're talking Port, wasn't Candles Thompson nicknamed Daddy Long Legs ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clayton_Thompson

198cm (six feet six). What a skyscraper.

Same height as Bill Wedding.
http://australianfootball.com/players/player/bill+wedding/478

Seeing as we're talking Port....

just wanted to give the club a pat on the back. For my sons 18th (this weekend) I made up a collage of photos taken each year since 2009 of my son with his favourite player, Hamish Hartlett. Last week I found out there was no open training that week, and this week its on Friday which I cant get to. I contacted the club, they put me in touch with Matthew who suggested I bring it down and give it to Ben. Within 24hrs he had Hamish personalize and contacted me saying it was ready to be picked up. As I live about 50 mins from Alberton, I cant just pop down when the players are around so having Ben organize it made it easy and stress free for me.. Big thanks to Ben and Well Done PAFC.
Love this club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back