News Lions Board Spill - update: Board Dispute Resolved

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL was spooked that the deal with Springfield to build a new training base would fall over if there was change at board level because of chairman Angus Johnson's business connections in the region.

I do not make much comment on this subject but this quote from the item posted above by TBD does my head in. Is there a direct comment about this by anyone in the AFL of any importance?

I agree John.

We were kinda joking in this thread about getting sued for these kind of statements. But hammo has said it out loud. This is pointing out the conflict of interest here in black and white in the press.

Is hammo insinuating no angus = no training base at Springfield? Is he saying angus is holding the AFL to ransom on the deal?

Wow wee. What is he actually saying here.

I do not make much comment on this subject but this quote from the item posted above by TBD does my head in. Is there a direct comment about this by anyone in the AFL of any importance?

The AFL was spooked that the deal with Springfield to build a new
training
base would fall over if there was change at board level because of chairman Angus Johnson's business connections in the region.

But the rival ticket has no intention of walking away from the move to the western corridor and Mick Power, who heads civil engineering giant BMD has a wealth of contacts and business interests in the area.

But, IMO, he goes on to say that Mick Power has influence AJ can only dream of.

Let's hope Hammo's off the mark here.

The AFL may not let the Lions fold but they might be prepared to leave us floundering on life support for a while.

Bit defeatist IMO TomFC.

It appears that maintaining the status quo will result in a bunch of wealthy benefactors taking off which could be just as bad if not worse than the AFL's idle threats,

There might be some egos at AFL house but I doubt they are going to be as stubborn and malicious and you think they will be.

Bit defeatist IMO TomFC.

It appears that maintaining the status quo will result in a bunch of wealthy benefactors taking off which could be just as bad if not worse than the AFL's idle threats,

There might be some egos at AFL house but I doubt they are going to be as stubborn and malicious and you think they will be.

It wouldn't necessarily be malice for the AFL to give us less money because they don't like our board. They might just consider it prudent business not to invest too much in people they don't have confidence in.

One way or the other, it's really important for us to have a good relationship with the AFL, even if some of their decisions are a bit hard to comprehend.

There is an interesting story from Crackers Keenan on a chat he had with Leigh Matthews very recently about the board shenanigans on this week's Mondayitis podcast around the 26 minute mark. http://www.sportal.com.au/afl/podcast-mondayitis

In short the AFL has us over a barrel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

In today's print edition of the Courier there is one extra paragraph that I didn't see in yesterday afternoons release....
Johnson has lodged an alternative proposal promoting Springfield Land Corporation boss Bob Sharpless- but there is a view he is to conflicted.

In today's print edition of the Courier there is one extra paragraph that I didn't see in yesterday afternoons release....
Johnson has lodged an alternative proposal promoting Springfield Land Corporation boss Bob Sharpless- but there is a view he is to conflicted.

So does this mean we are getting a better insight into why Johnson is hanging on to the Chairmanship like it is his life at stake...it is! He may run the risk of financial ruin if the Springfield decision goes belly up under a different Board. All sounds very close to a "conflict of interest" for Angarse...all the more reason he needs to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely it's only days until the 21 days is up for calling an EGM?

EGM requisition logged Sep 13. Club has 21 days from date of lodgement, presuming requisition forms were valid and in appropriate quantity, to call the EGM.

Friday at the latest should the mediation process underway fail to resolve the issues.

So does this mean we are getting a better insight into why Johnson is hanging on to the Chairmanship like it is his life at stake...it is! He may run the risk of financial ruin if the Springfield decision goes belly up under a different Board. All sounds very close to a "conflict of interest" for Angarse...all the more reason he needs to go.

Heh "financial ruin".

1) He's a managing director of Citimark, not sole shareholder.
2) Citimark has plenty of different projects, of which Springfield is one.
3) Springfield will go ahead just fine, regardless of whether or not the Lions have a training base out there.

The Lions base will (presumably) act as a small positive to a small section of the community. To the majority it won't make a difference. Citimark's Springfield development will carry on just fine without the Lions' training base, and Citimark will carry on just fine as well.

Johnson might have a conflict of interest (which he concedes, as he recused himself from the voting), but I think he'll do just fine regardless of the Lions' training base decision.

Heh "financial ruin".

1) He's a managing director of Citimark, not sole shareholder.
2) Citimark has plenty of different projects, of which Springfield is one.
3) Springfield will go ahead just fine, regardless of whether or not the Lions have a training base out there.

The Lions base will (presumably) act as a small positive to a small section of the community. To the majority it won't make a difference. Citimark's Springfield development will carry on just fine without the Lions' training base, and Citimark will carry on just fine as well.

Johnson might have a conflict of interest (which he concedes, as he recused himself from the voting), but I think he'll do just fine regardless of the Lions' training base decision.

OK...so what is your take on his refusal to step down when it seems that he has no chance in hell of winning this "popularity contest" against the Matthews ticket and all he is doing is delaying the inevitable and doing us significant damage in the interim. Surely, he doesn't think he can actually win this stand-off?

OK...so what is your take on his refusal to step down when it seems that he has no chance in hell of winning this "popularity contest" against the Matthews ticket and all he is doing is delaying the inevitable and doing us significant damage in the interim. Surely, he doesn't think he can actually win this stand-off?
I suggest he is banking on it not getting to a vote. I suspect he is right.

Just because I haven't speculated on why Johnson is hanging around it doesn't make your speculation more likely.

For the record, I think he sees himself as being the best person to run the board and is banking on the notorious Brisbane apathy to allow him to fall over the line... or an "October surprise" eventuates like the AFL stepping in.

For the record, I think he sees himself as being the best person to run the board and is banking on the notorious Brisbane apathy to allow him to fall over the line

Yeah, this is where I'm at.

I also think that he is probably a competitive beast and this is a challege to him. His natural instinct is to duke it out rather than cave. If he's got no-one he trusts telling him that he should move on, then he is going to see it through.

While I think the choice between his ticket and a Lethal ticket is virtually a no brainer in terms of popularity, he does have the power of incumbency. He can make populist announcements, he can use all the club's official communication channels etc.

Finally, I suspect that he doesn't see himself as doing anything wrong that Williams/Power can't also be blamed for. I think he believes that he's done the best job in the circumstances.

Just because I haven't speculated on why Johnson is hanging around it doesn't make your speculation more likely.

For the record, I think he sees himself as being the best person to run the board and is banking on the notorious Brisbane apathy to allow him to fall over the line... or an "October surprise" eventuates like the AFL stepping in.

There was a long while (1996 to present day) that I saw myself as the best man for Salma Hayek circa From Dusk Till Dawn. Fervent belief in the face of all logic and reality doesn't mean such things could, should, or would ever happen.

But I hold onto hope. '1996 Salma', if you happen upon this board, give me a call. I sincerely look forward to providing you with many years of disappointment...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back