List clean out is urgently needed

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Come end of season we need to clean out half our list.
Some big calls needed

Shuey needs tap on the shoulder to retire
Kennedy Hurn Reddon obvious Retire aswell. Trade Yeo Gaff Sheed Darling all on the table.

Delist Cripps Nelson Cole and any other player not in our future plans.

Sack Simmo for a fresh new coach.
Full rebuild mode in 2023 with new coach and a complete list turn around.

Yeah we will be crap for a few years but it's what's needed now then hoping these old farts turn it around. We are past our prime and last night shown a light on where we are at.

I'd rather what youth then the pathetic old team we have now.

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

• Gaff won't get much but he needs to go. He's just not what we need.
  • I'd keep Yeo but trade Gov. Gov is back to AA form and there will be a team who will pay a first rounder for him
  • Not convinced trading Darling is a great idea. He's frustrating, but we need support around AO until we can find another young KPP forward.
  • We should have sacked simmo last season and the season before. That boat has sailed. My jury is out on whether to keep or flick, but if he doesn't put measure it to rebuild, as well as changing how we play, he has to go. The losses are almost irrelevant.

• Gaff won't get much but he needs to go. He's just not what we need.
  • I'd keep Yeo but trade Gov. Gov is back to AA form and there will be a team who will pay a first rounder for him
  • Not convinced trading Darling is a great idea. He's frustrating, but we need support around AO until we can find another young KPP forward.
  • We should have sacked simmo last season and the season before. That boat has sailed. My jury is out on whether to keep or flick, but if he doesn't put measure it to rebuild, as well as changing how we play, he has to go. The losses are almost irrelevant.
How do you envisage trading a contracted player way from his own state?

Going on this year, he'd be the last player you'd want to get rid of IMO.

Players out of contract at the end of 2022
Too early to judge esp for the SSP's, Winder & Trew but atm plenty of delist/retire candidates.
I have mixed feeling about Nelson since he's out of contract this year lol.
If we keep the SSP players it will reduce the number available list spots. I'm hoping the AFL increase the list size by 2 again.
Cole - re-sign
Dixon - re-sign
Edwards - re-sign
Hurn - retire
Jamieson - delist
Jones - re-sign
Joyce - delist
Kennedy - retire
Naish - re-sign
Naitanui - re-sign (1 year contract)
Nelson - ???
Redden - re-sign (1 year contract)
Rioli - re-sign
Shuey - re-sign (1 year contract)
Strnadica - re-sign
Trew - delist
West - re-sign
B Williams - re-sign or trade
Winder - delist
Witherden - delist

Too bad Langdon contracted until 2023 and Rothan until 2024.
Gaff's value has declined too greatly over the past few years for him to be valuable as trade bait.

Last edited:
How do you envisage trading a contracted player way from his own state?

Going on this year, he'd be the last player you'd want to get rid of IMO.
I wouldn't know his contract status but I thought it was assumed we were talking about who we would trade if hypothetically we could. And I get it - you're one of the "let's just trade players who are underperforming" brigade. You have to trade good players to get a return, and while we're nowhere near a flag, it's the best time to cash some chips in.

I wouldn't know his contract status but I thought it was assumed we were talking about who we would trade if hypothetically we could. And I get it - you're one of the "let's just trade players who are underperforming" brigade. You have to trade good players to get a return, and while we're nowhere near a flag, it's the best time to cash some chips in.
I'm not one of the "let's just trade players who are underperforming" at all.
No use in dealing in hypotheticalls IMO.

I just can't se how people who are talking about WA boys (Darling) still under contract and just pushing them out the door.
Gov's on around a million a year. Even if another club would pony up that type of money, why would Gov
want to leave?

Getting rid of over half the team ....yeah it might work but I think people are missing the real issue and that is why are our players consistently injured and not as conditioned as the other teams

You bring in new players...fine but then give it a few months and they will be injured as well so what is the point ??

The real issue for me is why we are producing players that are consistently underdone and injured...yes covid has not helped but our list is consistently injured doesn't matter who you have in your squad if they can not play.......injuries are not just luck there are a range of factors

The real ones under the gun for me at the club are the medicos the physios the whole strength and conditioning staff who are just deadset woeful

Never in the history of the eagles has this been so bad and so badly handled that's the real issue

Theres no one at the club who should be on anymore than 3 year deals… if players want to go so be it… we get something decent for them in trades, a compo pick in free agency or they look like an ass going to the pre season draft… hindsight is a wonderful thing but we would be in a better spot if darling and mcgovern had gotten lost and we never offered kelly 5 or 6 years.

lets not get too carried away but Hurn and JK need to move on when Oscar comes back, Shuey lets see if he can stay fit till the end of the year and go from there.
What we need is 1 or 2 small defenders really missing Shep and some run out of half back, and two way running midfield.

There's no point doing a massive clean out this year unless the draft is an exceptionally deep one. Even then you don't want to be stuck playing a side that's half 18/19 year olds. We've delayed a rebuild a year or two too long, but you still need to transition carefully or you wind up like North Melbourne in year 5 of a rebuild and still at the bottom of the ladder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no point doing a massive clean out this year unless the draft is an exceptionally deep one. Even then you don't want to be stuck playing a side that's half 18/19 year olds. We've delayed a rebuild a year or two too long, but you still need to transition carefully or you wind up like North Melbourne in year 5 of a rebuild and still at the bottom of the ladder.

Thats wrong. Take the hit, clean the list out, you dont have to recruit speculative 18/19 year olds.. … have a look at Hayes, dixon, martin that have come straight in and improved their sides..

Getting rid of over half the team ....yeah it might work but I think people are missing the real issue and that is why are our players consistently injured and not as conditioned as the other teams

You bring in new players...fine but then give it a few months and they will be injured as well so what is the point ??

The real issue for me is why we are producing players that are consistently underdone and injured...yes covid has not helped but our list is consistently injured doesn't matter who you have in your squad if they can not play.......injuries are not just luck there are a range of factors

The real ones under the gun for me at the club are the medicos the physios the whole strength and conditioning staff who are just deadset woeful

Never in the history of the eagles has this been so bad and so badly handled that's the real issue
Very good point. 100% agree that a lot needs to fall on our coaching staff. You have to question why so many are injuried last 4 season. It's been disgraceful. Also strength and conditioning I'm real dissapointed in. Seeing Nic Nat overweight is the nail in the coffin for them and there jobs. I'd its like that for Nic Nat its like that for the whole list. Complacent nutrition and fitness staff we have. We came into round 1 underdone before Covid hit. We were unfit.

Thats wrong. Take the hit, clean the list out, you dont have to recruit speculative 18/19 year olds.. … have a look at Hayes, dixon, martin that have come straight in and improved their sides..

When has this ever worked?

Load up on kids and you end up like Melbourne. s**t for a decade or more.

Load up on honest battlers and you end up like Carlton. s**t for a two decades.

Retire/delist at years end: hurn, kennedy, redden.

Retire at the end of next year: shuey, nic.

* the problem is the rest of our squad is basically rubbish.

Only oscar allen is the player who looks promising.

When has this ever worked?

Load up on kids and you end up like Melbourne. s**t for a decade or more.

Load up on honest battlers and you end up like Carlton. s**t for a two decades.

Its never worked because no one has tried it. They all preach to the draft.
Use ur round one and two on kids. The rest on players with exposed form. . No coincidence two of our best players are naish and dixon.blokes who realise its last chance saloon.look at black and mountford when they played. Players with exposed form take out the guesswork something we are crap at

Theres a few posters on here making excuses like injury/covid for the last 18months.

But our midfield group are old and slow. I think kelly is the youngest at 26?

I think we need to bite the bullet, but there isnt any young midfielders in our squad pushing down the door to warrant a spot in the side. Maybe XON for redden?

Sheed is meh, gaff been a crab lately.

Petch and rotham are turning into a bust.

Im not sold on foley, i honestly didnt even know hes played every game this season untill this round.

Jamaine jones is a B-grader.

Landgon is depth.

Its never worked because no one has tried it. They all preach to the draft.
Use ur round one and two on kids. The rest on players with exposed form. . No coincidence two of our best players are naish and dixon.blokes who realise its last chance saloon.look at black and mountford when they played. Players with exposed form take out the guesswork something we are crap at

So draft your Chessers and your Houghs, then later in the draft grab a Greg Clark?

OK :thumbsu:

Come end of season we need to clean out half our list.
Some big calls needed

Shuey needs tap on the shoulder to retire
Kennedy Hurn Reddon obvious Retire aswell. Trade Yeo Gaff Sheed Darling all on the table.

Delist Cripps Nelson Cole and any other player not in our future plans.

Sack Simmo for a fresh new coach.
Full rebuild mode in 2023 with new coach and a complete list turn around.

Yeah we will be crap for a few years but it's what's needed now then hoping these old farts turn it around. We are past our prime and last night shown a light on where we are at.

I'd rather what youth then the pathetic old team we have now.

I'd keep Cripps, Kennedy and Shuey, and probs Simmo depending on how this season goes. I just got my sister a Cripps guernsey I really hope he gets his form back

But the main issue is strength and conditioning, our players get so tired in games and seem unfit half the time, and we're getting slammed by injuries, it can't be a coincidence. We have a brand new training facility and fancy changerooms but players are getting soft tissue damage like it's the 80s

Remove this Banner Ad

Back