List of players who signed big contracts at ordinary teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Jaidyn Stephenson on $500k a year for 5 years with North has to be right up there.

Kicked out of a massive club during a firesale and ends up at the worst performed club for 30 years and getting worse.

Actually kind of feel for the bloke, imagine playing for the pies and then ending up at Norf.
Probably pumped tbh, less scrutiny on the amount of lines he hoovers. go off Sleevo

They won a flag 2 years after he signed, do they qualify?
yeah not really, I just remember they came in with some huge offer we didn't want to match for a 20 gamer.. But then again we haven't had a good ruckman since.

Jake Lever got a nice big contract when we were s**t. Tex Racist Walker said he was choosing money over success.

Worth it too. Love you Jake!

Suck a fat one Walker, your team sucks.

Aka footy’s biggest mercenaries

• Weller @700k (Gold Coast)
  • Polec @700k (North Melbourne)
  • Williams @750k (Carlton)
  • McGovern @600k (Carlton)
  • Hannebery @800k (St Kilda)
  • B. Hill @900k (St Kilda)
  • B. Ellis @700k (Gold Coast)

Can’t remember the exact figure but Mitch Clark’s homesickness resolved pretty quickly once Melbourne beat Freo’s contract offer.

Hogan was on very good money at Freo.

Think Boyd joined the Bulldogs when they were in the bottom 4.

Who else?

If Brandon Ellis is on $700k x 5 years at Suns as a free agent….how is it Richmond got pick 44 as compensation for him?

Dogs finished 14th the year they traded in Boyd, then 6th in Boyds first year at the Dogs, and then won the flag the year after. Sounds more like Boyd went for success and had a crystal ball...
Had a close relative umpire who told him the umps were going to get the Dogs to a flag - they did!

Jordan Dawson has regretted signing for 5 x $650k at the Crows

Aka footy’s biggest mercenaries

• Weller @700k (Gold Coast)
  • Polec @700k (North Melbourne)
  • Williams @750k (Carlton)
  • McGovern @600k (Carlton)
  • Hannebery @800k (St Kilda)
  • B. Hill @900k (St Kilda)
  • B. Ellis @700k (Gold Coast)

Can’t remember the exact figure but Mitch Clark’s homesickness resolved pretty quickly once Melbourne beat Freo’s contract offer.

Hogan was on very good money at Freo.

Think Boyd joined the Bulldogs when they were in the bottom 4.

Who else?
Im sure it was an accident, but you've left Cerra out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They got better after he arrived, but didn't Judd join Carlton on the back of 10-11 wins over the past 3 seasons.
He's the poster boy for sure.

That being said he was more keen on joining the Pies. If the trade was done today I think he'd likely nominate them and the deal would get done for their first, another future first and a fringe player.

He's the poster boy for sure.

That being said he was more keen on joining the Pies. If the trade was done today I think he'd likely nominate them and the deal would get done for their first, another future first and a fringe player.
I’m pretty sure the Pratt family played a big part in him signing for Carlton.

Still West Coast would be happy with the trade got one of the better full forwards in recent memory who was instrumental in them winning a premiership.

Aaron Hamill by the length of the straight.

Went from the team that finished second on the ladder - where Hamill himself managed a handy seven goals in the semi final - to the Saints who had finished stone motherless last. Gave big Jack the finger and collected a sack full of cash on the way.

yeah not really, I just remember they came in with some huge offer we didn't want to match for a 20 gamer.. But then again we haven't had a good ruckman since.

I don't think it was huge, it was just bigger and longer than what Geelong were in a position to offer him due to Blake being contract. There was no cap space to fit him in.

No he doesn't. They have been perennial finalists pretty much since he's been there. If they had more support around him they would be premiership contenders.
He moved at the end of 2018 and they finished 15th that year.

That being said I don’t think he fits this category as they were clearly on the up and I reckon he moved because he thought that too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back