Luke Bruest Vs Chad Wingard

Luke Bruest or Chad Wingard

• Luke Bruest

Votes: 143 43.7%
  • Chad Wingard

Votes: 184 56.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Wingard is possibly the most inconsistent player in the league.
Breust one of the more consistent.
The stats show this, i would prefer a reliable 10-15 possessions and 2 goals a game from Breust.
Than 30 and 4 one week, and 4 touches the next.
Might be surprised at who is more consistent and reliable at getting 15 possessions a week.
2014: Wingard 18/24 games. Breust 10/25 games.
OOPS.

How about 15 and 2 games?
2014: Wingard 11/24 games. Breust 7/25 games.
DOUBLE OOPS.

And this is in 2014, where Chad was clearly down on 2013 form.

edit: No need for bay 13 names, Thanks.
Edit: Apologies

Last edited:
Might be surprised at who is more consistent and reliable at getting 15 possessions a week.
2014: Wingard 18/24 games. Breust 10/25 games.
OOPS.

How about 15 and 2 games?
2014: Wingard 11/24 games. Breust 7/25 games.
DOUBLE OOPS.

And this is in 2014, where Chad was clearly down on 2013 form.

Talk about backfire, flog. Go away.

You can manipulate stats anyway you like. If i want a consistent performer week in week out. I take Breust. If i want flash and dash its Wingard. And i did say 10-15. I also take Breusts near on 60 goals at 80+% ahead of Wingards 40 odd at a tick under 60%
Each to their own. BTW this isnt the Bay, no need to call a flog. I am not the only one with this opinion in this thread. It is very childish and immature.

Wingard is possibly the most inconsistent player in the league.
Breust one of the more consistent.
The stats show this, i would prefer a reliable 10-15 possessions and 2 goals a game from Breust.
Than 30 and 4 one week, and 4 touches the next.
lol what? "Possibly the most inconsistent player in the league" but yet averages 15 dospsals and kicked 43 goals last year.

But let's say you're correct (you're not) but a third year player experiencing a lot of extra attention (due to an All australia year, the year before) having an slightly inconsistent year, what a surprise *rolls eyes*

You can manipulate stats anyway you like. If i want a consistent performer week in week out. I take Breust. If i want flash and dash its Wingard. And i did say 10-15. I also take Breusts near on 60 goals at 80+% ahead of Wingards 40 odd at a tick under 60%
Each to their own. BTW this isnt the Bay, no need to call a flog. I am not the only one with this opinion in this thread. It is very childish and immature.
Apologies.

Wingard's best is probably better and he has more X factor, but Breust is more consistent.

Both are great players, and I doubt either club would take the other in a straight swap.
Pretty much this. Neither club would swap.

Wingard could be anything and I love watching him play.

Breust is very reliable and consistent.

I suspect both will add a couple more all Australians to their CV by the end of their careers.

It's extremely hard to read this thread without getting the hint that some people are jealous that Chad Wingard is not at their club.

Lets all call out his flaws! While everyone else his age still has plenty of time to develop!!

Btw I think this is a good comparison. Breust takes the crown in 2014 but that could change next year.

serious question as your the only Hawthorn supporter that doesn't crack the shits whenever I post about one of their players but do you think Breust goes to ground far too often?
He's often done everything right, beat his man to swoop onto the footy but for whatever reasons, he will inventively then fall to ground. Whether this is something he's aware of or perhaps the wrong footing, just seems to be the only issue surrounding his game heading forward from here
Haha good to know you don't mind our banter.

Ah to be honest I have noticed it at times but doesn't happen that often. I think at times he does it for 2 reasons, to see if the player will fall over his back and maybe draw a free (rarely works though so seems a bit silly) or does it to get out of being tackled and get out of trouble.

A good example of this was in the grand final in the 2nd quarter, he fooled his opponent by dropping to the ground right before being tackled and the player ran past and he got up and was put of trouble. I'll try and find it and post it.

Most of the time this technique doesn't work, he doesn't do it too often though.

I would prefer to have Bruest at the Saints.

Wingard is way overrated. People usually only see his flashy goals on match highlights. He has the X-factor and will be a very good player but goes missing alot during games.

Breust is a consistent performer, kicks more goals, more assists.

both very good players but Breust ATM

lol what? "Possibly the most inconsistent player in the league" but yet averages 15 dospsals and kicked 43 goals last year.

But let's say you're correct (you're not) but a third year player experiencing a lot of extra attention (due to an All australia year, the year before) having an slightly inconsistent year, what a surprise *rolls eyes*

It's the Rioli conundrum. People actually watch the games and think 'geez this guy has done well, probably one of the best players on the field'. Then they get home, look at their season stats, see that they don't get enough touches for one of the best midfielders, nor enough goals for one of the best forwards, so they throw what they've actually seen out the window and all of a sudden they're average, lazy, inconsistent and not living up to the hype.

Zero idea how Breust could be so close to Wingard here- and that's coming from a big Breust fan. I can only imagine Wingard's been tarred with the "he's a highlights reel therefore he's inconsistent" brush; but in reality even in his form slump he still kicked 2 goals a game, averaged 16 possessions and plenty of assists as a forward pocket, not to mention winning us the Fremantle semifinal off his own boot with 4 goals.

Looking forward to bumping this thread in 5 years, as I was when the "Boak and Hartlett v Gibbs and Robinson" poll came out.

It's the Rioli conundrum. People actually watch the games and think 'geez this guy has done well, probably one of the best players on the field'. Then they get home, look at their season stats, see that they don't get enough touches for one of the best midfielders, nor enough goals for one of the best forwards, so they throw what they've actually seen out the window and all of a sudden they're average, lazy, inconsistent and not living up to the hype.
Rioli is not a good comparison here. Breust is the right comparison. Rioli not getting any posessions doesn't mean he hasn't had an impact because he has. Rioli is unique because of what he does when he does not have the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zero idea how Breust could be so close to Wingard here- and that's coming from a big Breust fan. I can only imagine Wingard's been tarred with the "he's a highlights reel therefore he's inconsistent" brush; but in reality even in his form slump he still kicked 2 goals a game, averaged 16 possessions and plenty of assists as a forward pocket, not to mention winning us the Fremantle semifinal off his own boot with 4 goals.

Looking forward to bumping this thread in 5 years, as I was when the "Boak and Hartlett v Gibbs and Robinson" poll came out.
Wingard is a talent but to say your going to bump this thread is kinda interesting. How many games do you reckon Bresut has won for us?

Bruest by a considerable margin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zero idea how?

Bruest averages more goals, assists, and tackles. The three most important stats for a small forward.

Zero idea how you could argue that wingard is better than Breust, let alone that Bruest shouldn't be as "close" to him.

Zero idea how?

Bruest averages more goals, assists, and tackles. The three most important stats for a small forward.

Zero idea how you could argue that wingard is better than Breust, let alone that Bruest shouldn't be as "close" to him.
yeah nah

Breust is an absolute gun but Wingard is possibly my favourite opposition player and I've seen firsthand what he can do when he's on so the Chad it is.

Wingard should become a gun midfielder while I'm not sure Breust has that capacity. Basing it more on emotion and "the vibe" as Breust, as has been noted, is statistically superior.

Your post was pretty biased, the facts really support Bruest here.

Not saying Wingard isn't good though.
Yeah not going to argue with the bias. But this is the issue with comparing players at the start of their careers- Wingard is what, 20 years old? Stats at this age are a fallacy when it comes to predicting career output- and that's with Wingard already having been All Australian, Club Champion, won finals off his own boot and the youngest ever player to 20 and 2.

But no my argument can be reduced to, simply, just watch him- it's obvious. I won't pretend it's underpinned by a ream of statistics and Einstein's Theory of Relativity, and at this point anyone who does so expecting this to produce a more reasoned (and unbiased) opinion is kidding themselves.

Yeah not going to argue with the bias. But this is the issue with comparing players at the start of their careers- Wingard is what, 20 years old? Stats at this age are a fallacy when it comes to predicting career output- and that's with Wingard already having been All Australian, Club Champion, won finals off his own boot and the youngest ever player to 20 and 2.

But no my argument can be reduced to, simply, just watch him- it's obvious. I won't pretend it's underpinned by a ream of statistics and Einstein's Theory of Relativity, and at this point anyone who does so expecting this to produce a more reasoned (and unbiased) opinion is kidding themselves.
I think quite a lot of people in this thread have mentioned that Wingard looks set to increase his output, acknowledging that he's still quite young. That however doesn't change the fact that currently the stats that matter for their position support Breust as being the better player right now.

Next season that could change and Wingard could blow past Breust. Though perhaps he could stagnate. Maybe Breust continues to improve (he's still quite young himself and increasing his midfield minutes) and Wingard goes backwards. No one can predict the future form of players with any high degree of certainty so all we can do is go with the here and now. What has occurred.

Statistics in football are extremely overrated and over used. The people that actually sit down and watch the two players, not knowing the stats would choose Wingard because he is the better player and talent. The people that don't watch every game and form their opinion based heavily on stats will choose Bruest because he gets the numbers. I am by no means saying Bruest is a bad player because lets face it nearly every team would want him playing for them, but Wingard is still ahead even with the inconsistency of last year.

Back