Free Agency Luke Dunstan [joins Melbourne as an unrestricted free agent]

Remove this Banner Ad

The bvtt hurt on St Kilda fans here is excellent.

These guys still rate Brad Hill and Zak Jones ffs.

your opinions on footballers no longer count.

You would think him leaving would be great news if he was so bad but no the saltiness here has no bounds, they are lining up to tell you how bad he is, over and over.

Meanwhile the same people will tell you Bytel is a gun.... lol?

Well done taking him on the cheap, if he rocks it, you come out like bandits and at worst you have good cover if injuries hit.

Zak Jones can play by the way. ;)

Dunstan is no world beater but it is classic AdamH to give an outgoing player a whack to make you feel better about the club kicking him out.

Your right he's no world beater so he is moved on. We have 3 kids rated in the top 25 coming in plus Bytal who is rated highly. Melbourne have lost depth so Dunstan is just that depth.

Neutral is probably the best. Not an amazing player, but gives Melb much needed depth and they didn't need to give up anything to get him. If he plays, awesome, if not it doesn't matter.
This. We would have been happy to have kept him on as depth, but he wasn’t interested in that, so we go our seperate ways.

Looks like something that will be good for all parties.

Melbourne get extra midfield depth that they badly need.

Dunstan gets a chance to extend his career, possibly play in a premiership and maybe even become best 22.

While we free up some much needed cap space, possibly get a compo pick that will help us get our NGA guys, and make it easier to get much needed midfield time into the likes of Clark, Bytel and Byrnes.

I suppose the big question remains,
Will there be any compensation?
If so, what is it?

I don’t need heaps (not going to knock it back) but I wouldn’t mind something.

Anyone got an educated guess?
It'll either be nothing or band 5, which would be straight after your 3rd round pick

Did the AFL change the rules so it’s straight after where pick would have been (assuming a team trades out that pick)?
It's been that way for as long as I can remember. So if it's band 5 it'll be 50 (I think)

He polled in the Brownlow in over 50% of the games he played in last season and he didn’t play a lot.

If you think Ratten is a decent coach good luck to you and that is your own call to make.
Dunstan had a purple patch, but over his career they are few and far between.

He has his upsides but his disposal can be momentum killing and quite iffy.

A solid GOP who does add depth to Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great result for Luke, and no doubt Richo was a strong supporter of the decision.

Hope he does well and can carve out a longer-term career with the Dees.

Definitely the type of bloke who will give his all on the field.

Dunstan had a purple patch, but over his career they are few and far between.

He has his upsides but his disposal can be momentum killing and quite iffy.

A solid GOP who does add depth to Melbourne.
It’s not his disposal that’s bad. It’s his decision making imo.

Never heard of any off field issues for Dunstan. I think that's bullshit tbh

Only issues I've heard is he struggles to follow game day instructions.

There was that one time he was blackout drunk and fell asleep on a bench only to be woken by the Po-Po

Really strong outcome for Melbourne.

Dunstan is a limited player, but when he isn't expected to do anymore than what he's good at, he will be a very reliable piece in the midfield.

I still think Dunstan is a severely underrated player. Lyons was similar before he joined Brisbane, but is it just me or has Lyons become much better on the outside? His kicking skills are also fine/decent now? Outside ability is something you can develop much easier than contested work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back