News Mackay signs for 4 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Weak willed in the Melbourne game?

One of his two for the 22 game season. You know he's a cooler now? The coach has ruled a line through his elite pace and disposal wingman career. He'll be fighting with Kerridge soon enough.

Actually the thing about wet games is that it slows things down. It actually makes sense that he came into his own because you don't have to work anywhere near as hard to keep yourself in the contest. Was a great game though, I will not deny him that. Nor will I deny the fact that after chasing Murphy for about 15 metres he gave up.

Yeah and then to find the player that is being cooled you look for the player with the highest stats in that particular quarter.

Incorrect again.

Murphy already had 19 of his 24 disposals 10 minutes into the 3rd quarter. Thats when Mackay was moved onto him. He had 5 possessions after this and was effectively 'cooled off'.

One of his two for the 22 game season. You know he's a cooler now? The coach has ruled a line through his elite pace and disposal wingman career. He'll be fighting with Kerridge soon enough.

One of his brilliant games out of 4.

Actually the thing about wet games is that it slows things down. It actually makes sense that he came into his own because you don't have to work anywhere near as hard to keep yourself in the contest. Was a great game though, I will not deny him that. Nor will I deny the fact that after chasing Murphy for about 15 metres he gave up.

Lets see how he goes on Sunday. I think he will go to Pittard and 'cool' him.

So you think Phil Walsh was lying in his press conference to protect Mackay?
To a degree

In general coaches are always going to be supportive of their players, especially when their form/place in the team is under question. As they should.

I think the reasoning is that after two and a half quarters we may as well put him on someone because he's giving us stuff all, so we're not losing anything

As it was he slightly 'cooled' Murphy after the game was completely over and the Bulldogs were cruising to the line.

More Melbourne game please D Mac

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To a degree

In general coaches are always going to be supportive of their players, especially when their form/place in the team is under question. As they should.

Fair enough. But it seems to me he has come out and spoken glowingly about Mackay. Massive praise after the Melbourne game (and said he liked him in the Collingwood game). Then in the press conference noted how he was effective in stopping Bob Murphy.

I don't think that in general Mackays position is under scrutiny from the media. Plenty of other more important cogs to worry about and plenty of other players who had absolute howlers (Hartigan).

I think Walsh genuinely likes what Mackay provides. Think he has given up on that dashing 2009 full time wingman. Instead he looks to use him as a small rebounding defender. He is in the group with Smith, Hendo and Jaensch and I think the combination of them have worked really well in 3/4 of our games this year.

I think the reasoning is that after two and a half quarters we may as well put him on someone because he's giving us stuff all, so we're not losing anything

As it was he slightly 'cooled' Murphy after the game was completely over and the Bulldogs were cruising to the line.

More Melbourne game please D Mac

Thats a fair assessment. But he certainly wasn't alone against the Doggies. Looking forward to seeing him hopefully blanket Pittard on Sunday.

Incorrect again.

Murphy already had 19 of his 24 disposals 10 minutes into the 3rd quarter. Thats when Mackay was moved onto him. He had 5 possessions after this and was effectively 'cooled off'.
So we gave a tagger a generous 4 year contract? Brilliant.

We must have alot of taggers.

I don't doubt Dave McKay isn't giving a 110% he's just not very good. If he was in my industry, IT, he would be hidden away in the special projects team until his contract expires.

Given Roo said DMack needed to lift, I think even if Walsh was unhappy with DMack he wouldn't publicly bag him. Haven't heard him say one negative word about our players yet, don't think that's part of the plan. Keep it all in house.

Coaches don't publicly bag players, it simply doesn't happen. We all starkly remember Blights 'pathetic' comment directed at Pittman. Even then he had to re-explain it as being directed at the team as a whole for thinking that type of ruck performance was acceptable. It's the AFL, players don't get dropped because they're going poorly. They go to the 2's for positive reasons, to work on certain aspects of their game and they'll be back soon bigger and better.

Coaches don't publicly bag players, it simply doesn't happen. We all starkly remember Blights 'pathetic' comment directed at Pittman. Even then he had to re-explain it as being directed at the team as a whole for thinking that type of ruck performance was acceptable. It's the AFL, players don't get dropped because they're going poorly. They go to the 2's for positive reasons, to work on certain aspects of their game and they'll be back soon bigger and better.
Walsh said yesterday he won't criticise individual players, we win as a team we lose as a team. So when he praises DMack we know it's code for "* we have him for four more years"

Walsh said yesterday he won't criticise individual players, we win as a team we lose as a team. So when he praises DMack we know it's code for "**** we have him for four more years"

What's going to happen when Kerridge returns and VB needs to return to cooling because he's failed at getting his own ball. How many coolers do we need.

Interesting. I am not so sure he was thinking that when he publicly praised him after the Melbourne game. But i guess you see what you want to.

We all praised him after the Melbourne game, it was a non-unpraisable game. You must be a little surprised that so soon after that performance we find him cooling. He has elite pace and disposal and we've got him racking up zero touches cooling. You know you've lost the last resort of Dmac selection rationale, "who's going to provide his trademark run and carry". It's off the table, he's doing Robert Shirley's old job. No run and carry required.

We all praised him after the Melbourne game, it was a non-unpraisable game. You must be a little surprised that so soon after that performance we find him cooling. He has elite pace and disposal and we've got him racking up zero touches cooling. You know you've lost the last resort of Dmac selection rationale, "who's going to provide his trademark run and carry". It's off the table, he's doing Robert Shirley's old job. No run and carry required.

Not really. Game was already gone when we switched him. Sure he didn't have a good game leading up to that, but neither did 18 of our 22.

Interesting. I am not so sure he was thinking that when he publicly praised him after the Melbourne game. But i guess you see what you want to.
I wonder how long you will be hanging your hat on the Melbourne game? I'm betting you might see another 2 games from DMack for the year that might go close.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back